Canada question

Old September 24th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Go Fig

Default Canada question

In article ,
"Claude Marcil" wrote:

snip snip

...... Fine. But I beg of you...Don't look to a *comic* to form your
judgments
about what Americans know about Canada. Please, I beg of you, don't...that
would be like thinking of Jay Leno as a news anchorman.

snip snip

Trudi

Last night, one of the major news anchorman ( not a comic ), Dan Rather, was
stating that electric power workers from as far as Louisiana and Mississippi
were up on the East Coast ( Maryland, Washingon DC, Virginia, New-Jersey )
to help local crews repair major damages to power lines from Isabel.

He never mentionned that Hydro-Quebec, from Quebec, Canada, had sent 25
repair crews to New-Jersey to help with the repairs.

Don't they sell power to these states ?

jay
Wed, Sep 24, 2003

A few weekd after 911, questionned on the reasons that he had not
mentionned Canada among the countries that had expressed deep sympathy and
provided all kinds of help and support after 911, George W's reply was " Of
course, no need to mention it, it's family ".

With leaders like this and major medias like that, no wonder that most
americans are ignorant of most of what goes on in the world outside USA.

Ignorant voluntary on their part ? I doubt it very much.

Being kept ignorant voluntary by their leaders ? No doubt in my mind.

Sad, very sad.

---

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old September 25th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Hatunen

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:24:55 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

It's a Canadian obsession, and a Canadian problem. Pretty harmless too. That
Americans by and large ignore it is a Good thing for Canadians because it
allows them to thrash about finding solutions to that and the other National
Identity problems Canada has, by themselves, with nobody butting in. They also
get to say what they want to about the US, even take the art to extremes, and
suffer little or no consequences. Win win.

I think Canadians really need to think what it might be like if
Americans started paying attention to Canada. Just think about
the places American HAS paid attention to.

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Alan Pollock

Life is tough. Physician, heal thyself.

If Americans ignore Canadians and Candians feel stung as a result, I
understand how that goes.

But there's another side, the side that shows Canadians *using* Americans to
feel good about themselves. Using untruth and stereotype to bolster their
national identity. Constantly.

It's unfair to Canada of course, this Canadian obsession with the US because
the US is so much bigger than Canada. Just California has a larger population
(by a couple of millions) and a larger economy than that of Canada.

And that very long border with the US, the majority of Canada's population
living within a few hundred miles of the line. So who wouldn't be obsessed?
Who wouldn't be stung, not getting enough attention? Who wouldn't define
themselves with what lives across that border? Especially since history and
The Empire goosed that particular process along for so many years? (Those
rebels are just ruffians, plebs - everything American is basically bad).

It's a Canadian obsession, and a Canadian problem. Pretty harmless too. That
Americans by and large ignore it is a Good thing for Canadians because it
allows them to thrash about finding solutions to that and the other National
Identity problems Canada has, by themselves, with nobody butting in. They also
get to say what they want to about the US, even take the art to extremes, and
suffer little or no consequences. Win win.

I say good luck. The obsession with the US, and the Quebec situation, and
Central Canada's hegemony as viewed by the West and everything else will come
out in the wash eventually.

In the meantime, life is good, non? Nex
Old September 25th, 2003, 06:51 AM
TNSAF

Alan Pollock wrote:
[...]

ROTF! Are we really that transparent? Here I thought we lived along the 49th
parallel for the warmer climate? Thanks for the laught!

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:00:04 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

I think Canadians really need to think what it might be like if
Americans started paying attention to Canada. Just think about
the places American HAS paid attention to.

Could start a nice little war. **** off the rest of the world more than
a;lready done so.

BTW, how you you feel about spending $1 billion a week in Iraq?

As opposed to spenidng a billion a week in Canada?

Old September 26th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:00:04 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

I think Canadians really need to think what it might be like if
Americans started paying attention to Canada. Just think about
the places American HAS paid attention to.

Could start a nice little war. **** off the rest of the world more than
a;lready done so.

BTW, how you you feel about spending $1 billion a week in Iraq?

As opposed to spenidng a billion a week in Canada?

goes to wreck your economy.
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:38 AM
D.Pillar

If war was declared on Canada, we'd just stop exporting the top comedians,
singers and Canadian Club

Old September 30th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Alan Pollock

D.Pillar wrote:
If war was declared on Canada, we'd just stop exporting the top comedians,
singers and Canadian Club

And then what? Nex