CyberFlying???

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
tim....

Default CyberFlying???

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
tim.... writes:

The reason that you are not allowed to use "electronic devices" during
TO/Landing has got nothing at all to do with their electrical
characteristics.

It's because that is the part of the flight where there is the largest
chance of their being some emergency that requires passengers to react
immediately and they want to be sure that you aren't doing anything which
is
going to distract you from performing this immediate action

False.

No it's not.

The real reason is that it's against regulations, period.

Obvioulsy, but why is that regulation there.

tim

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Using electronic devices during take-off and landing (was:CyberFlying???)

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Lack of reception inside an effective Faraday cage is a good
stopper though, except perhaps very close to the window.

For my 6-year-old hand-held Garmin Geko, I have to hold it against the
window to get a position lock. If the window has a pull-down shade,
then I'll pull the shade down half way and slide the geko under it so I
don't have to hold it there. Once the geko has a lock, I can sometimes
move it to the edge of my seat-back tray table where it has enough
visibility through the window to keep getting signals.

On occasion I've had a Garmin Nuvi (typically sold/used for in-car
navigation). This is perhaps 3 years old. It seems to have a better
antenna and can get a lock while being held normally in your hands while
seated (in a window seat). The maps that are built-into the device
allow you to see just what you're flying over (crossing over roads,
rivers, etc).

Or my AM/FM radio. There's really no AM reception possible inside
the plane, but I've listened to many FM stations while crusing at
35k feet.

Don't you have to retune every couple of minutes?

If memory serves it was more like 10 to 15 minutes. I mainly did this
while on red-eye flights from the west coast. Reception is probably
aided by tropospheric conduction at night.

FM reception inside a plane is not really dependent on how close you are
to the windows. Since the antenna for these portable recievers is
somehow tied into the headphone cord, I will play with the orientation
of the cord to get better reception.

One thing I'm going to do eventually is pick up a small, cheap
aviation-band receiver so I can listen in on the cockpit-tower chatter.
Should be easy to record this chatter given your typical mp3 player with
recording capability.

Does anyone ever post such chatter - along with their "cyberflying"
videos?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The idea that there are thousands of terrorists out there with
their minds set on how to overcome airport security and blow up
airplanes is probably imaginary.

It's held up so we remain scared and accept all kinds of
infringements we would never tolerate otherwhhise.

The various information-systems that have been connected to air travel
in the name of "security" have really been an aid to various levels of
gov't in terms of being able to track the movement of people and
maintain a record of travel. Even more than just where you're flying
from and to, and the dates, they're collecting info on meal preference,
how you paid (credit-card numbers), telephone contact numbers and e-mail
addresses associated with your electronic (and sometimes paperless)
ticket, etc.

The IRS in particular makes use of such records in their never-ending
battle to insure that no dollar of income goes un-taxed.

The increasingly onerous physical searching that goes on in airports
under the guise of "making flying safer" are primarily designed to
detect the movement of wealth (paper currency and other negotiable
bills, gem stones, etc) as well as drugs. These are illegal searches
without cause or legal warrant.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black[_2_]

On 23/10/11 14:29, Fly Guy wrote:
Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The idea that there are thousands of terrorists out there with
their minds set on how to overcome airport security and blow up
airplanes is probably imaginary.

It's held up so we remain scared and accept all kinds of
infringements we would never tolerate otherwhhise.

The various information-systems that have been connected to air travel
in the name of "security" have really been an aid to various levels of
gov't in terms of being able to track the movement of people and
maintain a record of travel.

Well yes.

The IRS in particular makes use of such records in their never-ending
battle to insure that no dollar of income goes un-taxed.

You have evidence that the IRS has access to this information?

In the UK such interconnection of government databases is not allowed.

The increasingly onerous physical searching that goes on in airports
under the guise of "making flying safer" are primarily designed to
detect the movement of wealth (paper currency and other negotiable
bills, gem stones, etc) as well as drugs. These are illegal searches
without cause or legal warrant.

Having carried reasonably large amounts of folding currency through
various airports over the years I have yet to be asked by anyone how
much there was, or even had it queried.

Currency just passes through...

My wife also carries considerable amounts of jewellery containing
precious stones and nobody has ever queries that either.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

William Black wrote:

The increasingly onerous physical searching that goes on in
airports under the guise of "making flying safer" are primarily
designed to detect the movement of wealth (paper currency and
other negotiable bills, gem stones, etc) as well as drugs.

Having carried reasonably large amounts of folding currency
through various airports over the years I have yet to be asked
by anyone how much there was, or even had it queried.

That would be false.

When you fly between countries, you must declare if you are carrying
more than $10k (or equivalent in local currency).

Currency just passes through...

The new milli-meter wave body scanners are primarily being installed to
look for parcels of drugs, money and gems that people strap to their
body under their clothing. Those items are non-metallic and are not
detectible by conventional radio-based screening arches that you walk
through.

My wife also carries considerable amounts of jewellery
containing precious stones and nobody has ever queries
that either.

Does she do that when crossing between countries that requires you to
answer to customs and duty regulations and inspection?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black[_2_]

On 23/10/11 15:42, Fly Guy wrote:
William Black wrote:

The increasingly onerous physical searching that goes on in
airports under the guise of "making flying safer" are primarily
designed to detect the movement of wealth (paper currency and
other negotiable bills, gem stones, etc) as well as drugs.

Having carried reasonably large amounts of folding currency
through various airports over the years I have yet to be asked
by anyone how much there was, or even had it queried.

That would be false.

When you fly between countries, you must declare if you are carrying
more than $10k (or equivalent in local currency).

I know, I do.

Except that in the UK there's nowhere to tell them...

There's no immigration check on leaving the country, just airline
officials and airport security...

So you just walk through with your wad of notes in a pocket...

The security wonks are far too busy humiliating elderly gentlemen by
making them take their lace-up shoes off in places where there's nowhere
to sit down for them to worry about a few thousand quid in notes.

In the USA the security wonks are government officials, but in the UK
they're private so they have no right to do anything but search you,
and only then with your permission.

What cops there are, usually a single uniformed constable all hung
about with low power firearms, wandering about the security search
areas are not interested in the stuff in your hand baggage unless it's
explosive...

My wife also carries considerable amounts of jewellery
containing precious stones and nobody has ever queries
that either.

Does she do that when crossing between countries that requires you to
answer to customs and duty regulations and inspection?

Of course she does, but previously owned jewellery isn't declarable.

Well, again, it may be in the USA but it certainly isn't in the UK,
the Middle East or India.

Only the new stuff is.

The searchers know it's there, it goes through the scanner, but they
don't care...

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Air travel - carrying excess of $10k or equivalent (was: CyberFlying???)

William Black wrote:

When you fly between countries, you must declare if you are
carrying more than $10k (or equivalent in local currency).

I know, I do.

Except that in the UK there's nowhere to tell them...

There's no immigration check on leaving the country, just airline
officials and airport security...

So you just walk through with your wad of notes in a pocket...

The following comments were taken from he

http://www.customsandinternationaltr...t-the-airport/

============
MIKE - December 7, 2010 4:53 PM

Hi, Last month my spouse and I were carring $10500 on a trip overseas,
we assumed that each person can carry up to $10 K in cash so we had a
little over $5000 each and we did not report it. Before we boarded the
plane we were called for an inspection by CBP officers and searched,
they counted our cash and had us fill out "FinCen form 105", we kept our
cash and left on our trip. Should we expect a letter or be called by
CBP? or that was the end of it.

RESPONSE: I hope that it is the end of it which is likely since they
allowed you to depart with your $$. If not, you know how to contact me
(954 270-1864). How was the trip?

shawn - December 30, 2010 2:10 PM

My friend was leaving lax nov 22 2010 he claime that he has $4000.00
after inspection by CBP he have $34,700.00 do you think he get it back ?

ANSWER: Yes, your "friend" should get it all, or most of it, back from
Customs if your friend can properly explain and document the source of
the money and the intended use of the money. Plus, a written Petition,
or interview with an ICE Agent doing a petition investigation, must be
persuasive that the miscalculation was an error and not intentional.

JK - August 22, 2011 6:26 AM

I'm a US citizen, my spouse is a UK citizen. She was carrying 3000, I
was carrying just under 7000. At the airplane gate, CBP asked everyone
how much money they were carrying and we answered - we were holding sub
10000 even though it was split between the 2 of us. They then said we
had to declare it, and I was confused because I thought we had to
declare only above 10000. They checked us and then made us sign
something. I have no idea what I signed because I really dislike talking
to CBP and immigration (despite being a fully law-abide US citizen).

Are they allowed to do that? To force you to declare an amount below
10k? Truthfully, it is things like this that make me want to keep
everything in fully disclosed offshore accounts (saying one thing in
official rules but enforcing different rules at whim).

ANSWER: You do not need to complete any CBP or Treasury forms when
transporting internationally $10,000 or less. You are correct, many U.S.
citizens and residents keep money offshore permanently to avoid the
hassle by CBP.

Jim - September 10, 2011 3:55 AM

I'm moving to chile, I want to bring as much of my money as I can, the
only problem is, most of it is bullion. I dont want any problems, so I
will bring less than 10,000, i heard that I can only bring $2,500 in
bullion without reporting it to customs so I will have to convert most
of it to cash... my plan is to bring 2,400 in bullion and about 7,000 in
USD and Chilean Pesos. I will tell the truth about the amounts when
asked. will I be ok doing this? is there another way? Is there a way to
bring just under 10k in gold without reporting it so I dont have to
convert most of it to cash?

ANSWER: I certainly can answer this question, but not on a public forum.
============

The person answering the above question (Peter Quinter?) is especially
coy about not answering certain questions, such as the one immediately
above (which involves gold) and also with regard to how does the $10k
currency reporting limit apply to a family group as opposed to a single
person.

But in reading those stories, it's clear that the US gov't is pulling
out all the stops to rob both citizens and foreigners alike when they
return to the US with large amounts of legal money.

And if you notice, there appears to be situations where people leaving
the US via plane are somehow intercepted by CBP somewhere in the airport
before departure and grilled about the money they are carrying. I'm
especially curious about how that happens...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black[_2_]

On 23/10/11 17:29, Fly Guy wrote:
William Black wrote:

[...]

Like I said, it only seems to be a problem in the USA.

Actually, thinking about it, it may be a problem in India as well.
There are special counters in the arrivals area of international
airports there where you can register any large amounts of currency or
bullion brought into the country.

But these are new and have only appeared in the past year or so.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:51:36 +0100, William Black wrote:

And if you notice, there appears to be situations where people leaving
the US via plane are somehow intercepted by CBP somewhere in the airport
before departure and grilled about the money they are carrying. I'm
especially curious about how that happens...

Like I said, it only seems to be a problem in the USA.

But these are new and have only appeared in the past year or so.

I do recall once (1998), when leaving EWR -- FRA that CBP (then just US Customs)
had set up a station right at the gate to check people leaving for FRA. They
were in plain clothes (jeans, etc.) but with badges/side arms etc., and they
appeared to be picking people at random from the boarding lines to be held
for a search of their carry ons at the tables they set up. Thankfully, they didn't
pick me... Not that they would have found anything, but being "selected" for that
kind of searching while the aircraft is actually boarding truly sucks! They were
notorious for that at NRT. I hated it. You had to develop some skill in where
you placed yourself in the boarding line so that the stations would be full by
the time your turn came). Not that said skill always worked. If they wanted you,
they'd hold you until a station became available.

In the above EWR--FRA case, I think CBP was looking for money/financial
instruments. In the other places, it was a security check.

Regards,

Arnold
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

Fly Guy wrote:

But in reading those stories, it's clear that the US gov't is pulling
out all the stops to rob both citizens and foreigners alike when they
return to the US with large amounts of legal money.

People seem to be lumping separate money related issues into the same bucket.

Most developed countries have rules about entering or exiting with large sums of
cash or negotiable paper. The amount varies by country, but tends to be around
$10K. The rules are primarily designed to catch tax evasion but can also be used
to identify people who are laundering drug money. If the funds are legit, you
declare them when you leave one country and enter the other. The tax authorities
are notified, nothing gets seized and you go on your way.

Where you get into trouble is when you try to cross a border with declaring the
money. What happens then depends on where you get caught.

If you are leaving the US, the TSA does not have any authority to arrest or
detail you, but they can let law enforcement know you are trvalling with a large
sum of money, and LE can in turn talk to you about where the funds are from.
They can also seize the funds if you can't provide reasonable explanation about
where the funds are from.

For international departures, if you didn't declare the funds you're already
breaking the law which makes the rest of your "explanation" subject to
verification.

Structuring - i.e. splitting the funds between two people traveling together
doesn't work unless you are prepared to prove that the funds are independent.

Same rules apply in any country you arrive in, except that now Customs gets
involved and your legal protection drops dramatically - and citizenship doesn't
much matter. You already broke the law by bringing the funds in undeclared,
legit or not. Most of the time that means the government (of any country) can
and will seize the money with no recourse.