Christmas, fruits and Beaches ???

Old October 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Brizze

Default Christmas, fruits and Beaches ???

G'day All!

This december my wife and i will spend in Australia.

So could anyone please tell me how and when you spend your christmas.
What i mean is do you give presents on the 24th in the evening or on the
25th in the morning ?
And do you eat a special dish, do you have a certain ritual, do you have
christmas trees ect. ???

Then i would like to know how your fuits are this time of year. A strange
question perhaps but ive told my wife that the best fruit ive ever eaten was
when i was in Australia in march 2000. And now she is expecting to be amazed
My guess would be that the fruit is good all year round......

Lastly im trying to figure out if the beaches is better north or south of
Sydney, so any thoughts on that would be great

Cheers,
Brian, Denmark.

Old October 25th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Geoff Lillico

"Brizze" wrote in message
k...
G'day All!

This december my wife and i will spend in Australia.

So could anyone please tell me how and when you spend your christmas.
What i mean is do you give presents on the 24th in the evening or on the
25th in the morning ?

On Christmas Day

And do you eat a special dish, do you have a certain ritual, do you have
christmas trees ect. ???

Some people stick to the traditional [English style] Christmas dinner, but
most now have salads with cold meats and shellfish.
Then i would like to know how your fuits are this time of year. A strange
question perhaps but ive told my wife that the best fruit ive ever eaten
was when i was in Australia in march 2000. And now she is expecting to be
amazed

There are various fruits available throughout the year. What fruit did you
tell her about?

My guess would be that the fruit is good all year round......

Lastly im trying to figure out if the beaches is better north or south of
Sydney, so any thoughts on that would be great

The further north you go, the hotter it becomes. Someone from Denmark could
find Sydney's beaches excessively hot. Good surfing beaches are found
anywhere along the east coast south of the Barrier Reef.
Cheers,
Brian, Denmark.

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

Old October 25th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Bill

"Brizze" wrote in message . dk...
G'day All!

This december my wife and i will spend in Australia.

So could anyone please tell me how and when you spend your christmas.
What i mean is do you give presents on the 24th in the evening or on the
25th in the morning ?

Family decision. My family had 24th evening for family presents and
the 25 for "Santa".

And do you eat a special dish, do you have a certain ritual, do you have
christmas trees ect. ???

Food depends on family and weather for the day so it could be anything
from a BBQ and salad to the full (European) traditional roast meal and
Christmas pudding.

This usually results in an afternoon nap....zzzzz

The Christmas trees and Santa/snow scenes are to make us feel cooler
in the heat.

Then i would like to know how your fuits are this time of year. A strange
question perhaps but ive told my wife that the best fruit ive ever eaten was
when i was in Australia in march 2000. And now she is expecting to be amazed
My guess would be that the fruit is good all year round......

Bowen mangoes, Bowen mangoes, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries,
bananas, paw paw for starters.

Lastly im trying to figure out if the beaches is better north or south of
Sydney, so any thoughts on that would be great

The best beach is always the next one along that you didnt get to,
according to everyone else.

It depends on how far north or south, convenience of getting there,
how crowded, the size of the surf, etc.

The main thing to remember is to only swim between the flags on
patrolled beaches. Unfortunately we have have to many tourists who
know better and swim out of the flagged areas. The end up travelling
home alone in the cold cargo hold rather than up in the warmth being
served hot food.

Cheers,
Brian, Denmark.

To enjoy your stay dont forget to slip on a shirt, slop on some
sunscreen and slap on a hat. It can be hot.

Cheers
Bill

PS Served food choices may be limited on Christmas day.
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:51 AM
A Mate

Fruits at Christmas!!

Mangoes, Bananas, Paw-paw (papaya in American); pineapples, Apples,
Strawberries, stone fruit, pears, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, grapes - will
all be in season. Rambutan, Mangosteen, custard apple (soursop) are also
around - though not in all supermarkets. Citrus is available in December,
but imported from America - local citrus comes in around March, April.

Food!

In Queensland where it's hotter many people eat seafood for the festive
meal. Prawns, Moreton Bay Bugs, Lobster, Oyster, crab etc. Baked Reef fish
is delicious too!

Turkey and ham is common, as are beach barbecues.

Good Eating!!

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:42:38 +0200, "Brizze"
wrote:

G'day All!

This december my wife and i will spend in Australia.

So could anyone please tell me how and when you spend your christmas.
What i mean is do you give presents on the 24th in the evening or on the
25th in the morning ?
And do you eat a special dish, do you have a certain ritual, do you have
christmas trees ect. ???

I get myself to the Sydney Fish Markets, about 2300 on Christmas Eve -
the boats don't start coming in until around 0300, but you need to
join the queue.

Then, when they start unloading the boats I buy whatever looks good.

Christmas in Australia - 35 degrees, cold beer, salads, cold meats and
seafood caught less than 12 hours earlier.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Geodyne

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:51:18 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Fruits at Christmas!!

Mangoes, Bananas, Paw-paw (papaya in American); pineapples, Apples,
Strawberries, stone fruit, pears, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, grapes - will
all be in season. Rambutan, Mangosteen, custard apple (soursop) are also
around - though not in all supermarkets. Citrus is available in December,
but imported from America - local citrus comes in around March, April.

Don't forget the lychees and the berries coming out of Tasmania at
that time of year! Raspberries, blueberries....*drool*

I'm planning a field trip to Young this year, to buy cherries by the
case, direct from the farms.

Geodyne

Brian, being from Denmark, you're going to find that the beaches to
the north of Sydney may be a bit too hot for you. Temperatures
regularly go over the 30C mark and I've seen the effect this has on my
Danish in-laws when they visit. There isn't really anywhere on the
coast in Australia you can go to escape the heat, but if I were you
I'd go for the beaches on the southern parts of NSW. Just be aware
that the areas will be very, very busy as a lot of Australians go to
the beach for Christmas. Accomodation will be very expensive and hard
to find. If you haven't already booked something, consider booking it
now.

Geodyne

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , A Mate at
wrote on 10/26/04 4:51 AM:

Fruits at Christmas!!

Mangoes, Bananas, Paw-paw (papaya in American); pineapples, Apples,
Strawberries, stone fruit, pears, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, grapes - will
all be in season. Rambutan, Mangosteen, custard apple (soursop) are also
around - though not in all supermarkets. Citrus is available in December,
but imported from America - local citrus comes in around March, April.

Food!

In Queensland where it's hotter many people eat seafood for the festive
meal. Prawns, Moreton Bay Bugs, Lobster, Oyster, crab etc. Baked Reef fish
is delicious too!

Turkey and ham is common, as are beach barbecues.

Good Eating!!

Australian Jingle Bells

Dashing through the bush,
in a rusty Holden Ute,
Kicking up the dust,
esky in the boot,
Kelpie by my side,
singing Christmas songs,
It's Summer time and I am in
my singlet, shorts and thongs

Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut !,
Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.

Engine's getting hot;
we dodge the kangaroos,
The swaggie climbs aboard,
he is welcome too.
All the family's there,
sitting by the pool,
Christmas Day the Aussie way,
by the barbecue.

Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,
Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.

Come the afternoon,
Grandpa has a doze,
The kids and Uncle Bruce,
are swimming in their clothes.