What to do next?

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:42 PM
DM

Default What to do next?

Hi,

I've been in Southern California -- LA for about two-three days late
last week and now I'm in Northern California -- Monterey for another
day or two.

Although everything has been quite nice, I can say I am somewhat
disappointed with the LA traffic and pollution and about the weather
in Monterey (actually Vancouver and Seattle are getting warmer weather
these days!!!).

I would like to spend another 4-5 days in California, but am not sure
what to do next...I have to end up in LA...what do you guys suggest:

1) drive up to San Francisco, spend 2-3 days there and 1-2 days in the
Napa region before going back to LA...

2) drive east to Yosemitte and Death Valley...

3) drive down past LA to Palm Beach (I understand there's really warm
weather there)...

I don't have any preference on what to tour, just that I am tired of
the Monterey gloom (I haven't seen such overcast, depressing mornings
ever ;-)

THANKS!!!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
Peter L

"DM" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been in Southern California -- LA for about two-three days late
last week and now I'm in Northern California -- Monterey for another
day or two.

Although everything has been quite nice, I can say I am somewhat
disappointed with the LA traffic and pollution

Disappointed why? Not enough traffic and air pollution? It's not like it's
a big secret that LA traffic and air pollution is among the worse in the
nation.

and about the weather
in Monterey

Again, not like it's a big secret that weather can be quite variable, and
mostly pretty chilly in the summer in Monterey.

(actually Vancouver and Seattle are getting warmer weather
these days!!!).

I would like to spend another 4-5 days in California, but am not sure
what to do next...I have to end up in LA...what do you guys suggest:

Depends on what you like to do, I guess.

1) drive up to San Francisco, spend 2-3 days there and 1-2 days in the
Napa region before going back to LA...

2) drive east to Yosemitte and Death Valley...

3) drive down past LA to Palm Beach (I understand there's really warm
weather there)...

You mean Palm Springs. Palm Beach is way over on the other side of the
country. Yes it's really warm there (both cities) in the summer.

I don't have any preference on what to tour, just that I am tired of
the Monterey gloom (I haven't seen such overcast, depressing mornings
ever ;-)

If you want to get away from overcast mornings, get away from the coast.
That's coastal weather for you, up and down the west coast.

THANKS!!!

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

DM wrote:

Hi,

I've been in Southern California -- LA for about two-three days late
last week and now I'm in Northern California -- Monterey for another
day or two.

Although everything has been quite nice, I can say I am somewhat
disappointed with the LA traffic and pollution and about the weather
in Monterey (actually Vancouver and Seattle are getting warmer weather
these days!!!).

I would like to spend another 4-5 days in California, but am not sure
what to do next...I have to end up in LA...what do you guys suggest:

1) drive up to San Francisco, spend 2-3 days there and 1-2 days in the
Napa region before going back to LA...

2) drive east to Yosemitte and Death Valley...

3) drive down past LA to Palm Beach (I understand there's really warm
weather there)...

You mean Palm Springs? As far as I can tell, Palm Beach, CA is just
north of Monterey.

I don't have any preference on what to tour, just that I am tired of
the Monterey gloom (I haven't seen such overcast, depressing mornings
ever ;-)

THANKS!!!

I'm in Palo Alto and I can see the fog on top of the ridges to the west.
But it's sunny and warm here. If you want to get out of the fog,
you'd best avoid San Francisco. It can be sunny on the east side of the
city, but the fog can penetrate there too.

It's the ideal time to visit Yosemite, except for the crowds, but go
during the week. There could be afternoon thunderstorms, but they don't
usually last long. Visit Mono Lake, the Mariposa giant sequoias,
Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake (that should take at least two or three
days) then drive down US395 through the high-desert Owens Valley, it's a
beautiful drive. If there's time visit the Ancient Bristlecone Pine
Forest in the White Mountains to the east. Plenty more to do along that
route too, even without Death Valley. http://www.395.com/

Then across the Mojave and back to LA.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
MadHatter

I don't know about Monterey, but here in San Diego May/June is
typically overcast.

I just got back from Yosemite, and that would be my choice if I was
you. I'm not so sure if this is a good time to visit Death Valley
though. I'd imagine that it's probabaly getting pretty hot there.