Serengeti vs. Masai mara Safari

Old August 22nd, 2004, 06:02 PM
swg

Default Serengeti vs. Masai mara Safari

I would like to do a short safari (about 5 days) and was wondering
which park would be better to see the most wildlife (variety and
quantity). I'll be arriving in Nairobi middle of Jan. 2005) It
appears that the migration is at the south eastern part of the
Serengeti in January, Feb and March . I'm also very interested in the
Masai culture.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:02:21 -0400, swg
wrote:

I would like to do a short safari (about 5 days) and was wondering
which park would be better to see the most wildlife (variety and
quantity). I'll be arriving in Nairobi middle of Jan. 2005) It
appears that the migration is at the south eastern part of the
Serengeti in January, Feb and March . I'm also very interested in the
Masai culture.

I seem to observe here that the wildebeest migration may be
overrated. It's just too easy to say, "You've got to see the
migration!"

My personal opinion is that I would not necessarily adjust my
itinerary to the migration. East Africa is always interesting,
whether the plains are full of wildebeest or not.

For such a very short safari it may be a waste of time to travel
to the far end of the Serengeti.

If money plays no role, you could fly there though, provided
that a tourism company provides you with all the required
service, collects you from the airfield, etc. Otherwise I
wouldn't do it, unless you have an overriding reason to see many
wildebeests.

For a 5 day safari I would go to Kenya and see Amboseli and
Maasai Mara. Or Samburu and Maasai Mara, or perhaps passing by
Lake Nakuru on the way to Maasai Mara, but you should be careful
not to be travelling long distances all the time. The safari may
feel rushed anyway, because 5 days is really short.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

[...]

Five days is too short for a Samburu - Masai Mara combination, unless
you are flying. If not, you would only have one full day in Samburu, one
half day in Nakuru and one full day in Masai Mara. The rest of the time
would be spent on the road. I would suggest Nakuru and Masai Mara,
rather than Amboseli or Samburu and Masai Mara. More diversity, less
travel.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM
East Africa

How much would a safari to Masai Mara cost on a per person basis? We
are a couple planning to visit East Africa for 1 week in November.

Incognito wrote in message ...
In article , Hans-Georg
Michna wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:04:42 +0200, lid (Johan
W. Elzenga) wrote:

Five days is too short for a Samburu - Masai Mara combination, unless
you are flying. If not, you would only have one full day in Samburu, one
half day in Nakuru and one full day in Masai Mara. The rest of the time
would be spent on the road. I would suggest Nakuru and Masai Mara,
rather than Amboseli or Samburu and Masai Mara. More diversity, less
travel.

Johan,

yes, I agree. Actually the thought went through my mind also.

I didn't actually want to propose Samburu + Lake Nakuru + Maasai
Mara. I should have made that more clear.

I agree that Lake Nakuru, then Maasai Mara is probably one of
the best combinations for a 5 day safari.

Hans-Georg

Just one month ago we spent 8 days on safari to Maasai Mara, Lake Nakuru
and Amboseli. Drivers can go off road only in Massai Mara so getting
close to distant animals is vastly more fun here. Amboseli is sparsely
populated by comparison, both vegetation and animals. Be sure to be
at Lake Nakuru when countless birds fill the sky in formation; we saw
this late in the afternoon. To save money we chose a safari with tent
camping just outside Maasai Mara gate; loved it. Had hot showers when
"good" hotels elsewhere in Kenya did not. ---Ken Mantei
(We used Matembo Tours in Nairobi; ask for Maimuna to arrange it and
driver-guide Steve Odour.)

Old August 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM
East Africa

How much would a safari to Masai Mara cost on a per person basis? We
are a couple planning to visit East Africa for 1 week in November.

Old August 31st, 2004, 04:41 PM
Semuhire

Hello,

I live here in Kenya and if you don't mind I can give you the name and
address of a low cost yet well established tour companies that can
assist you with all the information you need to organise your safari.
Her name is Marylin and the company is called African Sky Charters -
http://www.africanskycharters.com her direct email address is :
.

Get in touch with here their company also has charter flights and they
can organise for you to fly to Samburu, Serengeti and Maasai Mara game
reserves and any other in east africa. Some time because of the bad
roads your safari can be tiresome that's why I suggest air safari.
Hans George is right 5 day are quite short if you plan to visit most
parks around here that's why it will be wise to minimize on road
safaris.

You are very much welcome to East Africa and I am sure you will enjoy
your visit.
Michael.