Advise on purchasing car for travel around Europe?

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Julie

Default Advise on purchasing car for travel around Europe?

On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:47:00 +0200, nitram wrote:

The difference between UK car insurance and elsewhere in Europe is
that the car is insured for all drivers in a non UK policy, where as
in a UK policy it is only insured to be driven by those specified in
the policy. There is no way I can opt out of insuring other drivers on
my Dutch insurance policy. Nor do I have to declare and pay a
substantial amount of extra insurance if, for example, my 19 year
daughter, who has just passed her test drives my car. We have two cars
each car has a separate totally independent policy.

However, you are missing the fact that a person, as an insured driver
of their own vehicle in the UK, is also usually insured to drive any
other vehicle on a "third party, fire and theft" basis. As long as
the car is insured by one insurer and the driver is insured by another
insurer, they are both covered on that limited basis.
--

Julie S

(if you love the idea of free books click on www.bookcrossing.com)
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Jim Ley

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:42:04 +0100, Julie wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:47:00 +0200, nitram wrote:

The difference between UK car insurance and elsewhere in Europe is
that the car is insured for all drivers in a non UK policy, where as
in a UK policy it is only insured to be driven by those specified in
the policy. There is no way I can opt out of insuring other drivers on
my Dutch insurance policy. Nor do I have to declare and pay a
substantial amount of extra insurance if, for example, my 19 year
daughter, who has just passed her test drives my car. We have two cars
each car has a separate totally independent policy.

However, you are missing the fact that a person, as an insured driver
of their own vehicle in the UK, is also usually insured to drive any
other vehicle on a "third party, fire and theft" basis.

No they're not, that would wholly depend on their insurance cover, my
insurance cover does not give that benefit for example.

Jim.