ALERT! American Airlines Employees Plan Holiday Sick Out!

Old October 14th, 2003, 01:50 AM
None

Default ALERT! American Airlines Employees Plan Holiday Sick Out!

Plan your holiday travel wisely, or risk getting stuck at the airport
instead of at grandma's house for the holidays! If you haven't booked yet,
be careful, if you already have tickets on AA, get back ups on other
carriers or get a refund!

********

TROUBLE IS BREWING AT AMERICAN AIRLINES
Sanders Leiberman September 25, 2003

American Airlines made history several months ago by signing large
concession packages with all of its unionized work groups. The effort was a
life raft in rough waters that the industry has been facing since 9/11/01.

These concessions saved American $1.8 billion in annual labor costs.
However, red ink may be flowing fiercely if the flight attendants get their
way.

I interviewed several flight attendants who claim that American has been
abusing them even after their group finally agreed to the concession
proposal. The flight attendants were the only group to hold out to the
bitter end in the cost savings proposals. But now they feel that it was all
a hoax. American used a bad situation and took advantage of the overall
ailing industry by threatening bankruptcy.

The pilots had the most to lose in a bankruptcy court. They each retire with
a $1 million pension fund. In bankruptcy, that perk could have been stripped
as we saw with the US Airways pilots. As one flight attendant stated, "They
(pilots) were like puddy in AMR's hands. They were not going to give up that
hefty amount, and, as usual, could really care less what the flight
attendants lost."

With American pushing for more productivity, they have "re-tooled" trip
selections for the flight attendants, which now have them working
record-breaking multi-flight trips each day, with usually up to 14 hours on
duty per day. In addition, within such 14 hour duty-days, there is usually
no time for flight attendants to grab even a fast-food burger in an airport
terminal here or there. American does not supply a meal or snack in-flight
for the flight attendants, while pilots are still catered with full-course
meals during the course of their work days (per their union contract.) A
young male flight attendant I spoke with said, "We usually hope there is
just an extra bag of pretzels left over after a beverage service. And that
truly is the maximum, since pretzels and beverages are all we serve
passengers these days! It's pathetic! I used to be proud to fly for American
Airlines, now I'm just embarrased." In the concession packages, their
on-duty time was increased. And layovers are basically gone.

With productivity increased, sick calls have also increased to critical
levels with many flights departing 2, 3, and 4 flight attendants short.
Creating a harder workload on the crews. The exhaustion factor is creating
quite a stir, even with the FAA who say that these are legal rest breaks for
airline crews. However, the FAA is investigating the safety element of the
increased productivity and minimum rest. A young female flight attendant
said, "They expect me to be able to evacuate an aircraft when I am nodding
off on my jumpseat. It is impossible. I have never been this physically and
mentally exhausted on the job in my 8 years of flying. And I swear it gets
worse every day. Somedays I just want to break down and cry. This isn't what
I signed up for and this is not how it used to be. A little respect from
American, the union, and even the passengers could go a long way. It's just
not there anymore."

The flight attendants are literally fed up with the continued pressures and
lack of support from American Management. "We complain continually, but
American just turns their heads.....they have never treated us with any
respect in my 24 years at this company," said another, more senior, flight
attendant.

With the holidays fast approaching, there is an underground movement amongst
the flight attendants. "They think the sick calls are high now....just wait
until Thanksgiving and Christmas arrive. We will shut this airline down."
The holidays have always been a cash cow for the industry, and American
cannot afford any disruption in its holiday schedule, however, at the same
time, American seems to be in a somewhat state of denial about the morale of
its front-line employees and is apparently making no attempt to fix it.
Eastern, Pan Am Braniff... when is the lesson learned?

Nevertheless, the flight attendant movement has been set in place. "We all
know what we have to do." This is not a union backed tactic, and the APFA
(Association of Professional Flight Attendants) will not place any stamp of
approval on the sickout.

With Thanksgiving two months away, the traveling public should book their
flights cautiously. The bad blood between American and its flight attendants
has been boiling for some time now. The climax is near.