Conditions at Hobby (Houston)

Old September 16th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Sean Dalton

Default Conditions at Hobby (Houston)

Hello knowledgeable people,

I was planning a trip to Houston and from my map it seems as though Hobby is
a lot closer that IAH (bush) any idea why there are so few flights to this
airport? Is it a mess? I have been warned about IAH being bad but why?

Thanks

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:06 PM
mrtravel

Sean Dalton wrote:

Hello knowledgeable people,

I was planning a trip to Houston and from my map it seems as though Hobby is
a lot closer that IAH (bush) any idea why there are so few flights to this
airport? Is it a mess? I have been warned about IAH being bad but why?

Where in the Houston are do you need to go?
Have you consider the availability and costs of flights to both?

There are fewer flight to Hobby because it is the old main airport used
before IAH became operational 30 or so years ago. Consider it like
Midway airport in Chicago compared to ORD (O'Hare)

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Peter L

"Sean Dalton" wrote in message
Hello knowledgeable people,

I was planning a trip to Houston and from my map it seems as though Hobby

is
a lot closer that IAH (bush)

Closer to what?

any idea why there are so few flights to this
airport? Is it a mess? I have been warned about IAH being bad but why?

It's an older and smaller airport.

Thanks

Old September 17th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Actually, in many ways, it is superior to IAH. It is easier to get to
from most of the area. Parking is more convenient. It is smaller and
is being renovated. I suspect the reason for the fewer flights is that
Southwest is not as dependent on Houston as Continental. Since most
other airlines do not have agreements with Southwest it is easier for
them to use IAH. Also IAH has the international traffic. Use whatever
gets the best rates. HOU may be marginally less expensive to get to &
from but other things are likely more important.

If you are using Continental & visiting the extreme south of the area
there is also the option to transfer to Elington down in Clear Lake at
the southern edge of the county.

FFM

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM
TMOliver

"Sean Dalton" vented spleen or mostly
mumbled...

Hello knowledgeable people,

I was planning a trip to Houston and from my map it seems as though
Hobby is a lot closer that IAH (bush) any idea why there are so few
flights to this airport? Is it a mess? I have been warned about IAH
being bad but why?

Thanks

1. Hobby, the old airport, remains more convenient, an easier commute, for
business travelers to/from some parts of Houston and its petrochemical
exurbia.

2. It's a Southwest (WN) sort of place, and the other airlines serve it
purely as a competitive dagger held across their jugulars. They can't
afford to leave it to a WN monopoly.

3. It's easy to get in to and out of, and would be my preference if
renting a car, especially were my Houston destination in the city's
Southwest quadrant.

4. Nothing wrong with the terminals, old but upgraded and always with some
renovation/expansion going on. It's an origin/destination airport and the
comparison to Midway is pretty apt, and like Midway, it's served by smaller
a/c - if there's anything smaller about newer model series 73s - and other
than the galveston/Ellington nearby's, not a place where anyone "changes
planes".

TMO
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:25:47 -0500 TMOliver wrote:

[...]

I had business in Sugarland and I was flying in and out of Houston quite often
(from/to different locations) yet still used IAH.

Hobby does (did?) not have the volume of flights or non-stops to a lot of
places. CO in IAH does. And the 8-belt flows pretty well.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 18th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Frank F. Matthews

TMOliver wrote:

[...]

Actually anywhere in the center to the southern half. FFM

4. Nothing wrong with the terminals, old but upgraded and always with some
renovation/expansion going on. It's an origin/destination airport and the
comparison to Midway is pretty apt, and like Midway, it's served by smaller
a/c - if there's anything smaller about newer model series 73s - and other
than the galveston/Ellington nearby's, not a place where anyone "changes
planes". TMO

There usually appears to be a fair bit of shifting within Southwest.
Plenty of connecting is going on when I look. FFM