BMI baggage pooling

Old March 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Andy Pandy

Default BMI baggage pooling

There was a thread on these groups a year ago about Ryanair's then new policy of
specifically prohibiting baggage allowance pooling (eg two people sharing a suitcase
that's heavier than the single allowance but well under 2x the allowance).

With this in mind I checked on the BMI website as we're booked to travel with them
shortly. There is nothing explict either way. So I phoned them and got through to a
call centre - and spoke to someone who clearly didn't speak English as their first
language, and asked the question. The answer I got was they don't allow pooling, but
I really don't think she understood the question.

Anyone got any experience with BMI? Whatever their official policy - how is it
actually implemented at check-in? It would be a PITA for us to have to take 3 or 4
suitcases between the 4 of us... (we've never had a problem the dozens of times we've
done it before on other airlines)

TIA

--
Andy

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 25 Mar, 18:46, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:
[...]

I believe airlines like to keep key features of T&Cs and rules as
closely guarded secrets.
Just like the departure gate, you cannot be trusted with such
information at to early
stage. For some online bookings I notice you only get the general
terms and conditions for the
ticket, when what you need is the specific conditions for that ticket
before you buy it.

To be fair, Ryanair do seem to go to some lengths to spell out T&Cs,
but as I start with low
expectations I am unlikely to be disappointed (e.g. I assume the
ticket is disposable).

You could try the ticket desk at the airport, or visit the check-in
desk and ask... but don't
forget to record the response.

TIA

--
Andy

Old March 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 25 Mar, 18:46, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:
[...]

We've got a contingency plan - we're taking a couple of small rucksacks with us for
day trips - if they get funny about it we'll simply take the rucksacks out fill them
with shoes etc, and give them to the kids as hand luggage. They'll come within the
size & weight limits of hand luggage.

--
Andy