Italy credit card question

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Elena

Default Italy credit card question

Hello,

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for the
payment.

Thank you for your replies

Elena

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yves Bellefeuille

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Elena wrote:

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for the
payment.

This is from the FAQ:

* Debit card: With a debit card, you can pay for purchases and the
amount is immediately withdrawn from your account. Please note that
these cards are used to pay for purchases, not to obtain cash from a
machine. Examples: Maestro, Carte bleue, EC-Card, Electron, Delta,
Switch, Solo. Debit cards are often *not* accepted in a foreign
country.

--
Yves Bellefeuille

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Elena wrote:

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for the
payment.

This is from the FAQ:

* Debit card: With a debit card, you can pay for purchases and the
amount is immediately withdrawn from your account. Please note that
these cards are used to pay for purchases, not to obtain cash from a
machine.

Huh? People use debit cards to obtain cash from machines all over the
world.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Elena" wrote in message ...
Hello,

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for the
payment.

Thank you for your replies

Elena

I have no idea what a Visa Electron card is. If it is a standard visa credit
card, it will be widely accepted. Master Card will be widely accepted as
well, American Express, less so and you may as well leave your Discover card
at home.

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
MaxRedaktor[_1_]

Użytkownik "Elena" napisał w wiadomości
Hello,

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for the
payment.

read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron

Jck

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"MaxRedaktor" wrote in message
Użytkownik "Elena" napisał w wiadomości
Hello,

We plan a trip to Italy. Do they accept credit card "Visa Electron"?
The thing is that we want to hire a car and then use visa electron for
the payment.

read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron

Jck

That reply was incredibly useful, filled with information, and totally
on-topic. Stop doing that or you'll likely be banned from r.t.e. :-)

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
* Debit card: With a debit card, you can pay for purchases and the
amount is immediately withdrawn from your account. Please note that
these cards are used to pay for purchases, not to obtain cash from a
machine. Examples: Maestro, Carte bleue, EC-Card, Electron, Delta,
Switch, Solo. Debit cards are often *not* accepted in a foreign
country.

And often they are. I've never had a problem in Turkey. (Though
I have had problems in the UK - British Rail doesn't accept them).

Which countries have widepread problems of acceptance for these?
The above text looks more like a cover-your-arse disclaimer off
a box of software than a genuinely helpful response.

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yves Bellefeuille

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Huh? People use debit cards to obtain cash from machines all over the
world.

Then I'll have to refer you to the complete discussion in the FAQ, section
17. ;-)

If you think anything is inaccurate, please let me know, but do read the
whole section first, please.

--
Yves Bellefeuille

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yves Bellefeuille

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Jack Campin wrote:

Which countries have widepread problems of acceptance for these?
The above text looks more like a cover-your-arse disclaimer off
a box of software than a genuinely helpful response.

For example, Barney reported problems in The Netherlands:

I have used a UK Visa Electron debit card in Germany recently, so it's
certainly not true as a blanket rule. However, I have also had it declined
as unacceptable in the Netherlands, and had a lot of problems finding ATMs
that would accept it in Germany.

I asked about this in November 2005 and got conflicting answers, which led
to the FAQ's present wording.

--
Yves Bellefeuille

Old March 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
* Debit card: With a debit card, you can pay for purchases and the
amount is immediately withdrawn from your account. Please note that
these cards are used to pay for purchases, not to obtain cash from a
machine. Examples: Maestro, Carte bleue, EC-Card, Electron, Delta,
Switch, Solo. Debit cards are often *not* accepted in a foreign
country.

And often they are. I've never had a problem in Turkey. (Though
I have had problems in the UK - British Rail doesn't accept them).

That's misleading. "British Rail" does accept some debit cards. I use
mine all the time, including today. You're no doubt referring to
electron, solo or something.