Hotels Jewish Quarter London, Anyone?

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

Default Hotels Jewish Quarter London, Anyone?

Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

try this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Mar 28, 4:43 pm, Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

The neighborhood "Golders Green" is where you want:

"Golders Green is a very cosmopolitan district. It has had a thriving
Jewish community since the 1900s. Kosher food, restaurants (notably
"Bloom's") and accommodation are available. This is complemented by
Japanese, Turkish, Korean and Italian eateries as well as over a dozen
coffee bars; a number of niche food stores, including two Japanese,
two Iranian and one oriental, exist. The area is considered a well-to-
do district and is also well known for late night bagels and a growing
street cafe culture - by contrast the area is almost devoid of pubs.
Dunstan Road synagogue opened in 1922. There are now a number of
synagogues and schools in the area. During the winter festival of
Hanukkah a large Chanukia, a nine branch candle holder, is lit each
night of the festival's eight days. The Golders Green expanding
Orthodox, and particularly Haredi, Jewish community is considered to
be one of the most important in the United Kingdom with several
yeshivas (seminaries) and prominent rabbis. Golders Green also has a
sizeable Japanese population as can be seen by the aforementioned
Japanese restaurants, food stores, and estate agents."

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of
20 teenagers, all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter
of London, but I haven't set foot in the place for twenty years.
Could someone recommend some addresses? Thanks.

Does London even *have* a Jewish quarter any more? There's a fair
bit of local Jewish history, but mostly it's in areas now occupied
by more recent immigrants from the Indian subcontinent or buried
under office blocks. That rather wonderful Jewish diner in Aldgate
or Whitechapel closed about ten years ago.

Old March 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of
20 teenagers, all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter
of London, but I haven't set foot in the place for twenty years.
Could someone recommend some addresses? Thanks.

Does London even *have* a Jewish quarter any more? There's a fair
bit of local Jewish history, but mostly it's in areas now occupied
by more recent immigrants from the Indian subcontinent or buried
under office blocks. That rather wonderful Jewish diner in Aldgate
or Whitechapel closed about ten years ago.

Also the Nosh Bar, my favourite salt beef sandwich bar in Great Windmill
Street.
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message

I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20
teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I
haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

As another poster has mentioned, there's not really any such thing as a
Jewish quarter in London, but Golders Green is the nearest you'll get.

There's this place: http://www.infotel.co.uk/69764.htm which is Kosher,
although reviews are mixed:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

Ian

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
RAK

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

The old Jewish areas in the East End (east central area) are now largely
Pakistani/Somali/etc. so mostly Muslim.

Golders Green is the most well-known Jewish area in London. It is a well-off
middle class area - not exactly exciting as far as I remember but I have not
been there for years.

A less well-known but more obviously Jewish area is Stamford Hill which is
quite heavily traditional Hassidic, with the orthodox clothes etc. It is in
North London, east of Golders Green.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford_Hill
"Stamford Hill is at the centre of the largest Hasidic community in Europe,
and referred to as a square mile of piety,[4] reflecting the many Jewish men
seen walking in their traditional clothes on their way to and from worship.
The congregations often represent historical links, with particular areas of
Eastern Europe, in their dress, and worship. Many also retain international
links with other congregations around the world. The largest of these
congregations is the Satmar who have five directly associated synagogues and
many more affiliated congregations. Belz is the second largest with two, or
three, synagogues. In the surrounding area, there may be over fifty
synagogues. Many observant Jews in the neighbouring areas of Stoke
Newington, Upper Clapton and even Tottenham identify with Stamford Hill."

For some reason the area is not well-known even to Londoners.

I don't know if there are any hotels around there but Googling may help.
Stoke Newington, just down the road is quite lively with lots of restaurants
etc and is an ethnically mixed area.

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
RAK

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

Though you may have trouble finding any Jews living now in the old Jewish
quarter in the East End, you could take a guided tour there.
These people do them, and I have tried a few of their other walks which were
excellent:
http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Sunday/default.aspx

For a group your size you should probably call them and organise a private
group, as you are too many just to turn up I think.

From their website:
THE OLD JEWISH QUARTER -
a shtetl called Whitechapel
from Tower HillTube
This walk traces the history of London's Jewish community in the East End.
It's a story that embraces the poverty of the pogrom refugees and the
glittering success of the Rothschilds; the eloquence of the 19th-century
Prime Minister Disraeli and the spiel of the Petticoat Lane stallholder; the
poetry of Isaac Rosenberg and the poetry-in-motion of Abe Saperstein's
Harlem Globetrotters. Set amid the alleys and back streets of colourful
Spitalfields and Whitechapel, it's a tale of synagogues (go on, click me)
and sweatshops, Sephardim and soup kitchens. And on this day of all days the
past isn't dead; it isn't even past...because the famous old Petticoat Lane
street market will be going full tilt and we'll show you the best of it.
After we've visted the historic Bevis Marks synagogue!* Guided by Judy or
Shaughan.

The Old Jewish Quarter Walk takes place
every Sunday at 10.30 am,
every Wednesday at 11.30 am,
and every Friday at 11.30 am.

Old March 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

What Jewish quarter ?

There are substantial Jewish populations throughout London. In the 1930's
many were concentrated in the East End around Brick Lane but thats more
associated with Asian immigrants today. There are substantial orthodox
communities
in Golders Green and Stamford Hill and reformed Jewish groups in Harrow,
Burnt Oak
and Stanmore to my personal knowledge

Keith

Old March 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm charged with organising a trip to London for a group of 20 teenagers,
all Jewish. We need a hotel in the Jewish quarter of London, but I haven't
set foot in the place for twenty years. Could someone recommend some
addresses? Thanks.

Y.

What Jewish quarter ?

There are substantial Jewish populations throughout London. In the 1930's
many were concentrated in the East End around Brick Lane but thats more
associated with Asian immigrants today. There are substantial orthodox
communities
in Golders Green and Stamford Hill and reformed Jewish groups in Harrow,
Burnt Oak
and Stanmore to my personal knowledge

How does Cheetham Hill/Salford in Manchester compare in comparison?
Seems a pretty big community.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net