Death Valley from Las Vegas

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
JamesStep

Default Death Valley from Las Vegas

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Keith Willshaw

"JamesStep" wrote in message

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Its a fair old trip , around 4 hours each way but it can be
done in a day although you wont have time to domuch more than
drive through

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

From the mouth of Titus Canyon drive south east along 190
to Stovepipe wells and the dune field then down to Furnace Creek
where the visitor centre is and the old borax works

From there drive down to Badwater and the lowest point in
the valley before heading back to Furnace Creek and
out along 190 to Death Valley Junction stopping at Zabriskie point.

Try and make time to take the road up to Dantes View as it gives a
panoramic view of the valley

From DV Junction drive to Pahrump and back to vegas

Keith

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM
souls canuck

good idea.. have done that.. I came in from las angeles and ended up in
death valley so my route might not be the one to take..

death valley
probably has a site, go check it out..so much to see.

the lowest
elevation in the usa is a good place to visit.. devils gof course, or
something to that effect was cool... zabriskie point, etc..

have fun..
love that desert scenery..

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:56:59 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"JamesStep" wrote in message

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Its a fair old trip , around 4 hours each way but it can be
done in a day although you wont have time to domuch more than
drive through

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

Ask ahead, maybe in Betty, about Titus Canyon, though. The road
conditions vary greatly from post-winter to post-winter.

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:09:59 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

Ask ahead, maybe in Betty,

Um. Beatty.

Old March 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

"JamesStep" wrote in message

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Its a fair old trip , around 4 hours each way but it can be
done in a day although you wont have time to domuch more than
drive through

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

Ask ahead, maybe in Betty, about Titus Canyon, though. The road
conditions vary greatly from post-winter to post-winter.

Good point , flash floods can really tear it up.

Keith

Old March 10th, 2004, 05:42 PM
bbrr

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"JamesStep" wrote in message

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Its a fair old trip , around 4 hours each way but it can be
done in a day although you wont have time to domuch more than
drive through

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

From the mouth of Titus Canyon drive south east along 190
to Stovepipe wells and the dune field then down to Furnace Creek
where the visitor centre is and the old borax works

From there drive down to Badwater and the lowest point in
the valley before heading back to Furnace Creek and
out along 190 to Death Valley Junction stopping at Zabriskie point.

Try and make time to take the road up to Dantes View as it gives a
panoramic view of the valley

From DV Junction drive to Pahrump and back to vegas

Keith

titus canyon is one of my favorite places, and ordinarily
I also would recommend it as 'must see'. but I don't think
it can realistically be included on the day trip
described above.

the last time I drove it we left Furnace Creek in the
morning, went to Beatty for gas, saw Rhyolite, then drove
TC. we had lunch at Leadville. stopped to take pictures
a couple of times. by the time we got back to FC it was
mid afternoon. I estimate it was about a 5 hours trip.

instead I recommend driving into DV from Beatty on the
highway, then drive up to the mouth of TC from the DV
side. then hike up into the narrows for 30 minutes or so.

also be advised that the car rental companies forbid
driving on unpaved roads such as TC. everybody does
it but you will be responsible for damage if something
happens.

Old March 11th, 2004, 04:43 AM
JamesStep

Default Death Valley from Las Vegas - Thanks

My thanks to everyone who offered advice about
my trip to Death Valley.

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Anonymous

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message

"JamesStep" wrote in message

In late April I'll be in Las Vegas. I'll have one day free
and am thinking of making a day trip to Death Valley.
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions concerning driving
time, best things to see, etc.

Thanks,

James

Its a fair old trip , around 4 hours each way but it can be
done in a day although you wont have time to domuch more than
drive through

I'd recommend driving out along US 95 to Beatty Nevada
take 374 and then Titus Canyon to DV (not suitable for RV etc)
and consider the short side trip to the ghost town at Rhyolite

From the mouth of Titus Canyon drive south east along 190
to Stovepipe wells and the dune field then down to Furnace Creek
where the visitor centre is and the old borax works

From there drive down to Badwater and the lowest point in
the valley before heading back to Furnace Creek and
out along 190 to Death Valley Junction stopping at Zabriskie point.

Try and make time to take the road up to Dantes View as it gives a
panoramic view of the valley

From DV Junction drive to Pahrump and back to vegas

[...]

--multiplaza.nl.nu--