Takeoff weight restrictions

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Takeoff weight restrictions

Had an interesting experience last night. Was flying from CLT
(Charlotte, NC) to TLH (Tallahassee, FL) on a USAir Canadair 700.

We were all on board on time, the AC about 80% full. For good 20
minutes nothing happened, and then the captain announced that we had a
weight problem. The AC had a malfunctioning anti-skid system, and in
such conditions, although we were legally permitted to take off, the
weight was restricted in case of an aborted takeoff. We were 360 lbs
over the limit.

After a few minutes two male, rather heavy-set volunteers stood up, and
left the plane (how they were rewarded, I don't know). After that, we
took off, and had a nice and uneventful flight.

I found it relevant to some recent discussions with a troll claiming
that an AC could take off with twice the legal weight limit. Perhaps.
This small event made me also realize even better than before why some
(or many) Third-World airlines tend to have poor safety records. I
somehow find it hard to believe that such an airline would care too
much if 360 lbs overweight.

jrk

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air

I can tell you that almost every time I fly out of CPR on SkyWest
either as The Delta Connection or UnitedExpress they always ask for
volunteers to stay back, as they are overweight. In addition I have the
same thing coming home via DEN or SLC. I have volunteered on the way
back and have almost gotten a free ticket or two. One time they had a
few misconnections and they ended up not needed me. In addition one
time they needed two volunteers and two passengers traveling together
stayed behind and I went home. On the last occasion I did however get
2000 FF miles with DL just for volunteering.

Michael