Help

Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Synwave

Default Help

On my cruise we are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios.
Is there any good tours we should go on in each place.
Has any body hired a car.
Thanks

Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Synwave" wrote:

On my cruise we are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios.
Is there any good tours we should go on in each place.
Has any body hired a car.

People at our table hired a taxi in Grand Cayman and went to all the
places they'd heard about. We went on the Trolley Roger and it was
nice and not expensive. Another time we went on the Stingray City
tour, and whether you will like that will depend on your previous
experience with stingrays. I thought it was interesting to feed one,
but not worth the money just to do that. If you haven't done any
diving, and/or haven't done much swimming or snorkeling, it will
probably be worth it to you. Some people just go to the beach.

The Eco-Tour at Cozumel where they put you in individual 4WD stick
shift jeeps and go out to the southern park with the lighthouse was
one of the best tours we've taken. First we snorkeled and saw lots of
fish and coral, then we toured the lighthouse (could climb if we
wanted), then we saw a small Mayan ruin and finally we visited the
crocodile reserve. The guide whistled and a large croc (10-12 feet
long) came up and looked at us with all his teeth showing like they
do. We were on a boardwalk a couple of feet over the water. I asked
how high a crocodile could jump because I once had a guide tell me
that an alligator could jump out of the water as high as his body was
long. In neither case did we get a chance to observe that.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
james hunt

I have been to Ocho Rios twice; not on a cruise but flying in for an
extended visit. I would not recommend hiring a car as Jamaicans drive
on the left which can take some getting used to.

I recommend Shaw Gardens or Dunns River falls depending on your
interest.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
james hunt

I may have misunderstood you comment about hiring a car. I thought you
meant one you drive yourself. If you are referring to a taxi in Ocho
Rios be sure to use one that's allowed on the dock. I would not
recommend going into town and hiring one off the street.

Old March 4th, 2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
First we snorkeled and saw lots of
fish and coral, then we toured the lighthouse (could climb if we
wanted),

I was trying to find the road that led to the lighthouse & never could
locate it. Was there a charge to climb the lighthouse?

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Boomer" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
First we snorkeled and saw lots of
fish and coral, then we toured the lighthouse (could climb if we
wanted),

I was trying to find the road that led to the lighthouse & never could
locate it. Was there a charge to climb the lighthouse?

I think there was a charge to get into the park. There may also have
been a charge to climb, but I THINK we didn't have to pay it as it was
all included in the tour. You did have to SIGN that you were
climbing.

You take the paved highway south out of town way past Chanknab (or
however that is spelled) and then when you get to the park, you turn
back north again.
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Rosalie B. :

"Synwave" wrote:

[...]

Maybe five feet for a large one. A big jump takes a lot of fast
twitch muscle, which crocs and gators are not known for. Although if
you've ever seen one stand up and run, you'd be shocked. But they can
only sustain that for 20-30 feet.
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Boomer" :

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
First we snorkeled and saw lots of
fish and coral, then we toured the lighthouse (could climb if we
wanted),

I was trying to find the road that led to the lighthouse & never could
locate it. Was there a charge to climb the lighthouse?

The last time we went out there, the exit off the road was obvious.
But at the time, the "road" was more of a sandy path.

We gave the Federale a coke and a couple of beers. And one of the
girls flashed him, which he seemed to enjoy. I didn't know about that
part until we got back to the hotel.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rosie

On Mar 3, 1:05�pm, "Synwave" wrote:
On my cruise we are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios.
Is there any good tours we should go on in each place.
Has any body hired a car.
Thanks

I just returned yesterdfay from a cruise which included Grand Caymen,
Jamaica and Cozemel. Took excursions but the only one I would say do
not miss, is Sting Ray City at Grand Caymen. It is so much fun, and
you do not have to be able to swim. the sight of all the sting rays
coming up to you for food, and taking it is one you will not forget.

Next time I will stay on the ship for Cozemel and Jamaica.

Rosie