IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Old September 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

On Sep 10, 1:03 am, mrtravel wrote:
wrote:

As I said (though I understand you have trouble with content as well
as context), in 2000, when I made those comments, etickets were mad
eon the phone and no written confirmations were provided. However,
don't let the facts get in your way.

I have a question. How does emailing an e-ticket receipt change whether
this is a written contract or not?
Isn't a written contract signed by both parties?

There weren't email confirmations in 2000. However:

1. Why do you think phone reps always (and still) read you the terms
and restrictions when you book a ticket?
2. Supposing the contemporary system malfunctions and no email
receipt is ever transmitted by the airline -- where is the writing,
signed by the party to be charged?
3. Supposing the email receipt is received, but it reflects the wrong
date, or the wrong price or different terms and conditions (e.g. non-
refundable when you asked for refundable)?

How will you prove up the terms of your "written" agreement?

Old September 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
VS[_1_]

In article .com,
wrote:

I used to wonder why you drew constant attacks from so
many people on the net. Guess I know, don't I?

You don't know anything, and never did - just consider your ``legal
opinion'' that e-ticket is an oral promise, and that an e-ticket is
not a written contract.

Why dontcha take this legal opinion to IATA? They'll be delighted
to learn that (quote) ``an e-ticket is not a written contract.''
Tell them about California statute of frauds, while you are at it.

Sure, you're clearly a well-qualified legal expert.

I am not a legal expert, I just know more about e-tickets than a failed
lawyer who thinks that ``an e-ticket is an oral promise.''

As I said (though I understand you have trouble with content as well
as context), in 2000, when I made those comments, etickets were mad
eon the phone and no written confirmations were provided.

In 2000, e-tickets were bought online and booked by travel agents.
Even when they were booked by phone, airlines always provided e-mail,
fax and postal-mail confirmations. There was *never* a time when
e-tickets were not accompanied by written confirmations.

I've got a stack of written e-ticket receipts and confirmations going
back to at least 1997, if not earlier. All you've got is a diploma from
a fourth-rate law school noone has heard about, and the delusion that
it gives the force of law to any nonsense opinion you happen to hold.
You like a lance corporal who, when he barges into a pub, demands to
be addressed as ``Mr. Staff Sergeant-Major, Sir!''

Do take your legal opinions to IATA. Tell them that an e-ticket is
not a written contract, then let us know where they tell ya to stick it