When are paper tickets necessary for US-Europe airfares?

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Traveler

Default When are paper tickets necessary for US-Europe airfares?

I've noticed many online booking agencies seem to require paper tickets for
US - Europe tickets. I'm wondering if that is just an excuse for extra fee,
though.

When are paper tickets absolutely necessary, and when are e-tickets
possible?

Traveler

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

When are paper tickets absolutely necessary, and when are e-tickets
possible?

E-tickets are possible when an airline (and any affiliate or partner you may
be connecting to) has the built the capacity for use of e-tickets
internationally into their system. Paper tickets are absolutely necessary
when the airline--or any airline you may connect to using the same
ticket--has not (yet) built the capacity for use of e-tickets into their
system.

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Miguel Cruz

Traveler wrote:
I've noticed many online booking agencies seem to require paper tickets for
US - Europe tickets. I'm wondering if that is just an excuse for extra fee,
though.

I fly to Europe several times a year and have not used paper tickets for
that in at the past 4 or 5 years.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Necessary is probably complicated. Delta routinely issues an eTicket
for domestic traffic but sent a paper ticket for the code share flight
to Paris. FFM

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
jcoulter

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in
:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Traveler wrote:

I've noticed many online booking agencies seem to require paper
tickets for US - Europe tickets. I'm wondering if that is just an
excuse for extra fee, though.

I fly to Europe several times a year and have not used paper tickets
for that in at the past 4 or 5 years.

miguel

That is my experience. We are flying on Delta mileage tickets with a
return on AF (not as code share but as AF pax) even though they are
partners Delta had to issue the paper tickets. A major pain but IIRC
they didn't charge extra since we didn't really want them and they were
forcing them.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:37 AM
jcoulter

jcoulter wrote in
. 199.17:

I fly to Europe several times a year and have not used paper tickets
for that in at the past 4 or 5 years.

miguel

That is my experience. We are flying on Delta mileage tickets with a
return on AF (not as code share but as AF pax) even though they are
partners Delta had to issue the paper tickets. A major pain but IIRC
they didn't charge extra since we didn't really want them and they

were
forcing them.

I just booked a flight for my mother with Jax-LGW return ZRH-JAX all on
Delta and it was a paper ticket.
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:14 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote:

When are paper tickets absolutely necessary, and when are e-tickets

possible?

E-tickets are possible when an airline (and any affiliate or partner you may
be connecting to) has the built the capacity for use of e-tickets
internationally into their system. Paper tickets are absolutely necessary
when the airline--or any airline you may connect to using the same
ticket--has not (yet) built the capacity for use of e-tickets into their
system.

The short answer is probably "Play it safe and get a paper ticket, just
in case"? (The extra ten dollars or so might save you major headaches
further into your journey.)
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:16 AM
randee

When I've ordered directly through the United and American sites they
have issued paper tickets. Only Southwest does not seem to know what
paper tickets are, but they don't go to Europe (I think they used to
have a code share through Iceland Air many years ago).
--
wf.

Old February 9th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

When I've ordered directly through the United and American sites they
have issued paper tickets. Only Southwest does not seem to know what paper
tickets are, but they don't go to Europe (I think they used to have a code
share through Iceland Air many years ago).

My last Northwest/KLM flight to Germany was e-ticket--and to encourage it
they offered a 1000 mile bonus for airport e-ticket check in for
international itineraries. They clearly want to promote it.

Though the Kuwait Airways ticket I just bought through Orbitz ORD-AMS-ORD
was a paper ticket. Orbitz charged $14.95 for sending a paper ticket. It
came via U.S. mail in an envelope that the meter showed had cost them 60
cents to mail.

Old February 9th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Traveler

Thanks for the report. I am interested in airfares for SEA-CDG on Orbitz,
Hotwire, or Priceline (maybe others if they are cheaper, but I haven't seen
that yet). Thus, there is a good chance of Delta being involved somewhere in
the transaction.

As far as I can see, it looks like I have to get a US shipping address if I
want to take advantage of online deals on this route.

Traveler

[snip]