"Catfight" on a BA flight

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:32 AM
Avian

Default "Catfight" on a BA flight

On a trip back from LHR to JFK on British Airways, I saw a rather nasty
fight between two women in coach take place. it was close behind my seat and
started with one of the woman's kid kicking the back of the another woman's
seat.

i guessed he kicked it too many times and the woman turns around and starts
yelling at the kid's face. of course the mother of the kid started to lose
it and yell back and everyone can see that this is *escalating* very
quickly.

and then the kid's mom reaches out and smacks the other woman on the face in
the middle of this. now they get up and start pulling each others clothes
and hair. while one is trying to keep her t-shirt on, the other takes
advantage and is holding on to her hair while trying to drag her out into
the aisle, away from the kid.

the befuddling part is that the FAs did not start to do anything until this
point!
*where* were they when this was escalating? it was bizarre to see they
didn't do anything during the obvious screaming and yelling but came after
it was out of control?

was this out of fear of "getting involved" on the part of the FAs?

-Avian

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:48 AM
Charlie C.

"Avian" wrote in
t:

On a trip back from LHR to JFK on British Airways, I saw a rather nasty
fight between two women in coach take place.

(snip)

now they get up and start pulling each
others clothes and hair. while one is trying to keep her t-shirt on,
the other takes advantage and is holding on to her hair while trying to
drag her out into the aisle, away from the kid.

Was Miller Lite beer in any way involved with this flight?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:51 AM
Peter L

"Charlie C." wrote in message
. 4...
"Avian" wrote in
t:

On a trip back from LHR to JFK on British Airways, I saw a rather nasty
fight between two women in coach take place.

(snip)

now they get up and start pulling each
others clothes and hair. while one is trying to keep her t-shirt on,
the other takes advantage and is holding on to her hair while trying to
drag her out into the aisle, away from the kid.

Was Miller Lite beer in any way involved with this flight?

The kid must've been on the sauce.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:15 AM
Lihk Mhygroin

Avian wrote:
the befuddling part is that the FAs did not start to do anything until this
point!

That is because every male passenger enjoyed watching the two women fight :-)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:26 AM
mrtravel

Lihk Mhygroin wrote:
Avian wrote:

the befuddling part is that the FAs did not start to do anything until this
point!

That is because every male passenger enjoyed watching the two women fight :-)

Not really

Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:00 AM
Traveler

Were the two ladies met by any sort of police on landing? Were they moved to
other seats? What was the outcome?

Traveler

"Avian" wrote in message
t...
[snip]

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
None

"Traveler" wrote in message
Were the two ladies met by any sort of police on landing? Were they moved

other seats? What was the outcome?

No police, no outcome, because no incident. One thing British Airways
flight attendants do NOT put up with is on-board bull**** from the
passengers. BA FAs are HIGHLY trained for just such situations, and their
training films are used by many carriers. If something like this had
actually taken place, those FAs would have floored both of these women in a
heartbeat, and have the means onboard to restrain people in their seats if
need be.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
Avian

the FAs when they finally came treated like it was no big deal. maybe that's
how they are trained. the women were still arguing (although not clawing at
each other) and the FAs were standing, almost watching to see if they've
actually calmed down.

they offered the woman without the kid a chance to move to another seat and
she declined.
and a couple of minutes later, the FAs were off doing their own thing.

i think it dawned on the women that they made an embarrassing, potentially
dangerous scene in front of everyone. the entire cabin heard and probably
saw a lot of it. you could tell the women who yelled at the kid didn't
realize how vicious his mom turned out to be and bit off way more than she
could chew!

and just looked like the women wanted it forgotten.

earlier, when the arguing was escalating, there were quite a few passengers
looking around for the FAs, but they weren't there. i could see them but
it's almost like they didn't even hear (which was impossible).

-Avian

ps: both women were single i believe. no men with them, so maybe that might
have made a difference.

"Traveler" wrote in message
Were the two ladies met by any sort of police on landing? Were they moved

other seats? What was the outcome?

Traveler

"Avian" wrote in message
t...
[snip]

Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM
Trust No One®

Avian wrote:

ps: both women were single i believe. no men with them, so maybe that
might have made a difference.

I hope the two women realise how extremely lucky they are that the FAs
decided not to take the matter any further.

If the flight was destined for the UK, magistrates over here are very quick
to dish out custodial sentences for any "air rage" offence; not sure about
the situation in the US.

Mind you if two men were involved in the fisticuffs, the probability of the
matter being taken further would be significantly higher I wager.

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:20 PM
Banty

In article , Trust No One® says...

Avian wrote:

ps: both women were single i believe. no men with them, so maybe that
might have made a difference.

I hope the two women realise how extremely lucky they are that the FAs
decided not to take the matter any further.

If the flight was destined for the UK, magistrates over here are very quick
to dish out custodial sentences for any "air rage" offence; not sure about
the situation in the US.

Mind you if two men were involved in the fisticuffs, the probability of the
matter being taken further would be significantly higher I wager.

From what I've read, (and just experience IRL), what made the difference here is
that the women were *not* involved in a fight with the FAs or any other of the
crew, and were *not* disobeying instructions from crew. The matter being
clearly between two pax, the task at hand for the FA's was one of settling it as
easily and calmly as possible. Which, seeing that apparently the women were
embarassed by their own behavior, only took time and monitoring to accomplish.
Which is goodness.

If the FA's *had* intervened too soon or too much, the situation would most
likely involve crew also, then it would be an escalated situation. Of course,
sometimes they would have to, but best to keep the situation a low-key one as
possible given any choice.

I'd wager that the FA's reacted exactly as they were trained, knowing the
boundaries and contingencies, and clearly it was successful. And I'd wager
that, if two men were hassling similarly, it woudl have ended the same. Perhaps
the situation would have changed if you assume that men would have been more
violent or disruptive to other pax, but I wouldn't make that assumption.

Every unpleasant incident does not air rage make.

Banty