So sorry about that poor Korean man

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
michael

Default So sorry about that poor Korean man

Peter Webb wrote:

Ummm ... so if I wasn't lying and I was deluded ... what was deluded in what
I wrote above (the bit you snipped)?

How and where have I not been careful in my choice of words?

you have written previously:

Further, whatever
role the US may have had in the rise of militant Islam, the best thing that
the US can do for the Iraqi people and the world as a whole is to bring
democracy to Iraq.

and:

The Americans are laying down the lives of their sons and daughters every
day to bring freedom to people living in hell for 20 years, and you spit in
their face.

care to demonstrate the careful thought involved in that casual
"whatever..."? care to support your careful use of words like "bring
democracy to Iraq" by explaining what this means?... whereas the OP was
not in fact spitting in any one's face, the Americans whose propaganda
you swallow apparently without spitting at all are killing people in a
country they've invaded... what's your point?

And no, I am a big supporter of inbound immigration, and believe it should
be increased - in particular I would like to see a lot more East Asian
immigration. Why do you ask? What has this got to do with the liberation of
Iraq?

most right-wing knee-jerk supporters of US militarism and adventurism
are also racists... it's also a common political position in your part
of the world... so i leapt to an assumption... sue me...

michael

Old June 30th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Peter Webb

"michael" wrote in message

Peter Webb wrote:

Ummm ... so if I wasn't lying and I was deluded ... what was deluded in

what
I wrote above (the bit you snipped)?

How and where have I not been careful in my choice of words?

you have written previously:

Well, that wasn't "what I wrote above", which was specifically the bit where
the lying accusation came from.

Insofar as you have made no attempt to demonstrate that I was "deluded in
what I wrote above" I will assume that you are retracting that accusation
and accept your tacit apology.

Further, whatever
role the US may have had in the rise of militant Islam, the best thing

that
the US can do for the Iraqi people and the world as a whole is to bring
democracy to Iraq.

and:

The Americans are laying down the lives of their sons and daughters

every
day to bring freedom to people living in hell for 20 years, and you spit

in
their face.

care to demonstrate the careful thought involved in that casual
"whatever..."?

Well, "whatever" means "one or some or every or all without specification".
Seems the perfect word to me; expressed my thoughts perfectly, and I assumed
that most people would know what I meant.

care to support your careful use of words like "bring
democracy to Iraq" by explaining what this means?

Democracy: "the political orientation of those who favor government by the
people or by their elected representatives". You know, as in what is
happening next January 2005 in Iraq.

... whereas the OP was
not in fact spitting in any one's face, the Americans whose propaganda
you swallow apparently without spitting at all are killing people in a
country they've invaded... what's your point?

It was a metaphor.

Metaphor: "a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to
something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a
similarity". (Is English your first language?).

And no, I am a big supporter of inbound immigration, and believe it

should
be increased - in particular I would like to see a lot more East Asian
immigration. Why do you ask? What has this got to do with the liberation

of
Iraq?

most right-wing knee-jerk supporters of US militarism and adventurism
are also racists... it's also a common political position in your part
of the world... so i leapt to an assumption... sue me...

Ummm .... you characterise Australians of being of a certian type, then you
accuse me of being racist.

Racism: "Any communication, action or course of conduct, whether intentional
or unintentional, that denigrates a person or community on the basis of
their membership or perceived membership in a racial, ethnic or cultural
community."

Isn't that exactly what you have just done? Isn't your remark itself racist,
a delicious irony when I have made no racist remarks at all? So the only
thing you can find to criticise is a flaw which I haven't got, and in doing
so you demonstrate you yourself have this flaw. This is way too delicious.
Keep arguing, and you will blow off your other foot (that's a metaphor, by
the way, a word I also used above).

Here's a couple more for people who like to unjustly accuse others of racism
while themselves making racist remarks:

Hypocrite: "a person who pretends to be what she or he is not; who pretends
to be better than she or he is, or to be pious, virtuous, etc. without
really being so"

Idiot: "a person of subnormal intelligence"

Though you have probably heard THOSE words before ....

LOL