Worth staying in a classy hotel?

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Iceman

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

Do keep in mind that hotels in most of Asia are much cheaper than
hotels of similar quality elsewhere in the world.

You can find a decent room with a private bathroom and air
conditioning for USD 20-30 in most Asian cities.

Asian luxury hotels are mostly much cheaper than their counterparts in
the US or Europe. USD 100-150 is standard, unlike the top-line hotels
in major European and American cities.

And the bottom of the line 'guesthouses' come as cheap as USD 3-5 in
many cities.

Old July 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Tchiowa

(J Asking) wrote in message . com...
What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

This is entirely a personal choice. If you're going to be transient,
meaning only in one place for a day or so at a time, and if you have
no need for privacy then hostels may be your choice.

If you're going to be staying somewhere for a long time and you want a
decent place to live then a hostel probably wouldn't work. What you
should look for is a hotel that is similar in living standards
(amenities, quality, etc.) to the way you live at home. If you stay
someplace for weeks at a time the "little things" will begin to grate
on you after awhile.

There are a lot of good, medium priced hotels. "Expensive" isn't
necessary.

However, if you can afford it and you are staying in one place for a
long time, then the added luxury of a good quality hotel can enhance
your experience.

Do you have an apartment or a house where you live?

Throw a mattress on the floor and sleep on it (instead of sleeping in
your nice, comfortable bed). Find a cheap part of your town and eat at
"questionable" diners. Never cook at home and never eat at a good
restaurant. Go down to the local homeless shelter to take a shower
rather than using the privacy of your own house. Make sure that there
is at least one drunk and 2 addicts sharing the shower with you. Wear
the same clothes for several days without doing laundry. Walk to work
in the morning instead of driving your car. Never turn on your A/C at
home. Leave the windows open so the critters can share your
experience.

Do that for a month or two and see how much you are enjoying life.

That will tell you how much "quality" is worth.
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM
John W.

Tchiowa wrote:

[...]

If you have the money to afford a swanky hotel it is also easier sometimes, particularly if you've done a full day
of traveling, you're exhausted, and you just can't be bothere finding a room in a hostel. This happened to my wife
and me in Europe; arrived in Amsterdam at night on a holiday and there were literally no rooms at the inns, and we
absolutely had no money for the more expensive places; wound up shacking in some guy's apartment (and he was kind
enough to charge us a pittance...).

But I've found hostels and inns are often as comfortable as the better hotels. A lot of times the things you pay
for in a Hilton or Sheraton are things the average backpack traveler doesn't always need, like high speed Internet
connectivity in the rooms, room service, concierge service, etc. Pretty much all I'm looking for is a place to lay
my head and not worry about mice crawling across me (which I've experienced, and don't like).

John W.

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM
PTRAVEL

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

Rather judgmental of you, don't you think?

When we travel, anywhere, we prefer to stay in nice hotels. We like a quiet
room, a comfortable bed, clean bathroom with a generous tub, hot shower,
etc. We like our privacy. We like having a base of operations which, among
other things, has the support of a competent concierge, a business center,
reliable phone service, etc.

What may seem like big $$$ to you, isn't big $$$ to everyone.

One of our favorite hotels in the world is the J.W. Marriott in Hong Kong.
First class service, beautiful (though small) rooms, and one of the most
highly-regarded restaurants in Hong Kong. Yes, I prefer to stay there. No,
I wouldn't prefer to stay in a hostel in Hong Kong (or, for that matter,
anywhere else).

Old July 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM
ggg

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message ...
"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
[...]

How does it compare to the Island Shangri-La?

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Tchiowa

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message ...
"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Couldn't agree more. My favorite is JWM in Bangkok. I travel a lot on
business, so my boss gets to foot the bill. That keeps me Platinum for
Marriott. I get upgraded to an Executive Suite whenever I'm in Bangkok
and it makes all the difference in the world (as compared to a cheaper
place).

But, as you pointed out (and I have pointed out before), it's a matter
of taste. Some people don't care. I have a hard time understanding
that, but to each his own.