"Airlines" on A&E

Old April 27th, 2004, 05:35 AM
nobody

Default "Airlines" on A&E

Bill Burk wrote:
This is a weekly series on Southwest Airlines and while I missed tonight's
show, and have never flown SA before . . . after watching too many weeks of
this series, I would never choose to fly SA ... and I have stopped my
recommendations to our Airport Commission (of which I am a former member)
that SA be added to the Memphis hub !!

The show was interesting at first. But I think that in its current format,
they have already runned out of stories. It will be interesting to see what
they do for the second season. They have already sent out "ads" to ask for
people to participate in the show.

They've already had many repeats (toddlers without documentation, drunk pax
etc). So next season should be just the same as the first one and thus become
extremely boring.

The show would be more interesting to airline afficionados if they focused
more on operations than on drunken passengers.

Old April 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Matt

"Adam Weiss" wrote in message
A much more extreme example - when a young bride-to-be's wedding dress
arrived at her destination with giant black tire marks on it. This
wasn't the old retiree with too much time on his hand who is complaining
about a quarter sized blemish on the outside of his luggage. This
lady's wedding dress was completely ruined. And the reaction of the
ariline was to argue first that it wasn't their fault and that they
weren't responsible for the destruction of the dress while it was in
their care!

If I remember correctly (an I admit my memory is fading with age), in the
case of the wedding dress it was another airline that was responsible for
the damage and Southwest decided to replace it anyway.

The rest of your complaints are not something isolated to Southwest, but the
airline industry in general.

Matt

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Mark Hewitt

"nobody" wrote in message
Bill Burk wrote:

They've already had many repeats (toddlers without documentation, drunk

pax
etc). So next season should be just the same as the first one and thus

become
extremely boring.

This happened with the UK version of 'Airline', on which the US version is
based.

Basically you would have an entire programme of people turning up 20 minutes
before their flight and easyJet saying "you are 20 minutes too late, you
can't get on the plane" , and the passenger replying, with various degrees
of anger "why can't I get on the plane? It hasn't taken off yet. I want to
talk to the manager".

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Olivers

Bill Burk muttered....

Did anyone see the documentary on "Airlines" on the Arts &
Entertainment

Network just now?

This is a weekly series on Southwest Airlines and while I missed
tonight's show, and have never flown SA before . . . after watching
too many weeks of this series, I would never choose to fly SA ... and
I have stopped my recommendations to our Airport Commission (of which
I am a former member) that SA be added to the Memphis hub !!

I'm sure Liddle Rawk, its cash register ringing with the shekels of
Memphisians coming over to emplane/deplane on WN appreciate your candor.

Laughably, since Memphis has traditionally had higher fares than many
comparable markets (matched with flight frequency in keeping with the "We
know it's there but don't need to go...." perspective with which most
travelers view Memphis), the regular queue of folks driving, vanning,
rental carring, etc. across the blasted wastes from West Memphis to Liddle
Rawk to catch WN (Southwest's airline identifier, not SA or SWA) is pretty
long.

I don't fly WN often, but on those moments when price and convenience
coincide, I've always been impressed by their staff
training/indoctrination/brainwashing which makes them consistently (if not
uniquely) more pleasant and (within the narrow limits of their business
plan) accommodating. Sure, I like to pick my own seats days ahead, but
when the flight's no more than a couple of hours, and WN can put me in a
city otherwise difficult or more expensive to access, it's no different
than a long ride in an airport shuttle.

TMO

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Adam Weiss

Matt wrote:

snipped

If I remember correctly (an I admit my memory is fading with age), in the
case of the wedding dress it was another airline that was responsible for
the damage and Southwest decided to replace it anyway.

I seem to remember that Southwest tried to lay the blame for the wedding
dress on another airline in a last ditched effort to keep from having to
cover the damage. Fortunately, they were convinced to replace it.

The rest of your complaints are not something isolated to Southwest, but the
airline industry in general.

True. And in retrospect I should not have brought SWA into the first
paragraph in which I compare them to Greyhound. Really, the bus
industry (not just Greyhound, but other regional companies as well) is
doing a much, much better job at catering to average passengers than the
airlines are. And I think the airlines ought to take heed.

Old April 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Olivers

Adam Weiss muttered....

True. And in retrospect I should not have brought SWA into the first
paragraph in which I compare them to Greyhound. Really, the bus
industry (not just Greyhound, but other regional companies as well) is
doing a much, much better job at catering to average passengers than
the airlines are. And I think the airlines ought to take heed.

Obviously, you haven't owned Greyhound stock, its nadirish descent
illustrative of a groaning and ill "national" bus system. Bus service in
the US, except for "niche" markets (such as the numerous new lines that
serve the Mexican American labor market from the Southern Border as far as
the Northwest, Chicago, and a few NEastern cities) and short haul service
is well on its way to infrequent schedules and moribund service.

He who would brag about the grand service provided by bus companies has not
set out on many transcontinental bus trips lately.

TMO
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Jim

Finally found this thread.
How about the program "Airport" seen on the Discovery-Wings channel. I
like that one better. Any others with comments about this program?
I may be wrong but I did see a ttle of Airpor or Airline UK ( tonight at
10) don't know if it is the same one as on Discovery-Wings. Jim

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Jim" wrote in message
Finally found this thread.
How about the program "Airport" seen on the Discovery-Wings channel. I
like that one better. Any others with comments about this program?
I may be wrong but I did see a ttle of Airpor or Airline UK ( tonight at
10) don't know if it is the same one as on Discovery-Wings. Jim

"Airport" is the BBC programme about London Heathrow Airport.

Old May 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Jonathan Smith

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message ...
"Jim" wrote in message
Finally found this thread.
How about the program "Airport" seen on the Discovery-Wings channel. I
like that one better. Any others with comments about this program?
I may be wrong but I did see a ttle of Airpor or Airline UK ( tonight at
10) don't know if it is the same one as on Discovery-Wings. Jim

"Airport" is the BBC programme about London Heathrow Airport.

Discovery-Wings "Airport" is the same BBC version. Airline UK is the
"new" A&E UK version of Airline. Airline follows the trials and
tribulations of Southwest, Airline UK does it for easyJet.

Neither is reality TV for most of us road warriors.

js