"Easy" SF Bay Area airport

Old June 14th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Dick Locke

Default "Easy" SF Bay Area airport

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:42:42 GMT, Jocab wrote:

What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

They all have their negatives and positives.

Oakland requires a not-very convenient shuttle bus for the last 4
miles of a public transit trip. It has long security lines (45 mins)
in the early morning but is very quick at other times. This is a
generality, but I find that if an airline flies into both SFO and
Oakland, the Oakland flights are usually cheaper. Oakland has no
airline club lounges.

San Jose is overcrowded and has an antiquated terminal that UA and
some other airlines use that doesn't even have boarding bridges. The
shuttle to rental cars is third-world and long. It requires a shuttle
bus to public transit. Unless your destination is near San Jose, I
wouldn't consider it.

SFO has the best schedules and long security lines are rare. BART goes
right to the door of the international terminal. Unless you are in the
UA/AA or the International terminals there is a not-very well designed
intra-terminal shuttle needed to get to and from BART. Restaurants are
more plentiful and less fast-food oriented than the other two
airports. There are museum exhibits here and there.

Old June 14th, 2004, 08:34 PM
ThePsyko

On 14 Jun 2004 in alt.hackers.malicious, Gary L. Burnore
made his/her contribution to mankind by stating
in :

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:42:42 GMT, Jocab wrote:

What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

San Jose is smaller but never quite as 'busy' as Oakland or SFO.
Oakland bites big weenies.

It really depends on which side of the bay you're on..

--
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question

ThePsyko
Public Enemy #7
http://prozac.iscool.net
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:20 AM
mimi

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:04:00 -0700, "Matt"
wrote:

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Jocab wrote:
What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

The only thing you should worry about is there in the Bay Area you're

coming
from/going to. The hassle of going to an inconveniently located airport

will
outweigh anything that could possibly happen at the airport itself.

If you're in downtown SF, it's marginally faster to get to SFO (San
Francisco International) than OAK (Oakland), even though Oakland is

closer.
This is because BART goes directly to SFO but you need a shuttle bus to

get
to OAK. Or, if you're driving, it's because bridge traffic is often a

pain.
But in this particular case the difference in travel time/hassle is

small
enough that I'd let price or schedule be the determining factor.

Don't forget about the weather problems that sometimes are a problem at

SFO.
A little bit of bad fog and SFO is a mess. I personally would prefer to

fly
into Oakland any day over SFO, although now that Oakland has move their
rental cars so far away from the terminal, that might not be quite so

true
anymore.

There is also San Jose, but that's probably too far.

It's less than 60 minutes from there to downtown SF on a bad day. Not
only is it easier to get to the South Bay area, it's a MUCH more
comfortable ride to the capital or Santa Cruz.

In any case, the point is, it's more comfortable. If the original
poster replies, chances are he'll say the comfort outweighs the
distance or the minimal amount of time you might get lucky enough to
save.

Well, the last couple times I've been there, San Joser airport's been pretty
crowded. Have they finished the construction? Also, flying Alaska, there was
no jet way. You walk down the stairs to the tarmac and into the terminal.

And is there public transportation to San Francisco from San Jose airport?

Marianne

Old June 15th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Archie Leach

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:43:07 -0400, Gary L. Burnore
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:01:35 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Jocab wrote:
What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

The only thing you should worry about is there in the Bay Area you're
coming
from/going to. The hassle of going to an inconveniently located airport
will
outweigh anything that could possibly happen at the airport itself.

It may be the 'only thing' YOU'd worry about but it certainly isn't
the only thing everyone worries about. Some people can't stand large
crowds, long lines (queues), etc and would gladly drive further to
avoid it.

There are large crowds and long lines in practically every airport nowadays.
In fact SFO being a much larger airport, sometimes appears less crowded than
OAK.

Please keep in mind you are arguing with a convicted sex offender:

NC sex offender registry number: (SRN 001693S3)

Funny, there's still nothing on the NC website matching the fake ****
you keep posting. That's why I call you a coward, coward.

Gary, if you really want to impress your little stalkerfanboi, you
need to take a page from Joseph Bartlo's playbook and "Refute" him,
vigorously.

Call him a pest, while you're at it. I think he'll get the point,
sooner or later.

* * *
* * * A N O T H E R
* * * Q U A L I T Y
* * * A R C H I E
* * * L E A C H
* * * U S E N E T
* * * T E X T
* * * P R O D U C T
* * *

Old June 15th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Miguel Cruz

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jocab wrote:
What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

The only thing you should worry about is there in the Bay Area you're
coming from/going to. The hassle of going to an inconveniently located
airport will outweigh anything that could possibly happen at the airport
itself.

It may be the 'only thing' YOU'd worry about but it certainly isn't
the only thing everyone worries about. Some people can't stand large
crowds, long lines (queues), etc and would gladly drive further to
avoid it.

You really should consider that using 'only' and 'anything'.

I'm going to stand by my statement. If someone would prefer to drive 90
minutes to avoid a 20-minute queue in the airport, then they are irrational.
This same irrationality is going to affect them time and time again
throughout life, and I'm not here to provide their coping mechanism; they'll
have to develop that on their own.

miguel
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Miguel Cruz

mimi wrote:
And is there public transportation to San Francisco from San Jose airport?

Sort of. You can take CalTrain to the SJ light rail and then take a shuttle
bus to the airport (possibly there is a superior alternative involving more
bus and less rail). I sure wouldn't bother.

miguel
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Gary L. Burnore

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:43:09 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jocab wrote:
What airport near San Francisco (say, max 50 miles) is easy for
national air journeys, meaning not many queues etc. Maybe Oakland?
Anything else? Thanks

The only thing you should worry about is there in the Bay Area you're
coming from/going to. The hassle of going to an inconveniently located
airport will outweigh anything that could possibly happen at the airport
itself.

It may be the 'only thing' YOU'd worry about but it certainly isn't
the only thing everyone worries about. Some people can't stand large
crowds, long lines (queues), etc and would gladly drive further to
avoid it.

You really should consider that using 'only' and 'anything'.

I'm going to stand by my statement.

Which is not at all surprising, given your other posts.

If someone would prefer to drive 90
minutes to avoid a 20-minute queue in the airport, then they are irrational.

It's not 90. Hasn't been for years. That said, some people would
drive for THREE hours to ovoid a 20 minute queue. It's irrational to
you because your view is too narrow. The point is, your use of
absolutes is misplaced.

For instance, it would be unfair to say 'All people named Miguel Cruz
are assholes and anything they say should be discarded'.

It would be fair to say that you, Miguel Cruz, are an asshole and just
about anything you say should be discarded.

See the difference? Bet not.

This same irrationality is going to affect them time and time again
throughout life, and I'm not here to provide their coping mechanism;

So then why answer?

they'll have to develop that on their own.

So you're a jerk too. Noted.
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Gary L. Burnore

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:20:20 GMT, "mimi" wrote:

.. .

Jocab wrote:
[...]

Most of the stuff that bugs people who don't care about the drive.
Someone else mentioned one runway closed but the last time I went, it
didn't seem to matter.

Also, flying Alaska, there was no jet way. You walk down the stairs to the tarmac and into the terminal.

United used to be that way too.

And is there public transportation to San Francisco from San Jose airport?

Yeah, CalTrain. It's like I said. If you don't like lots of people,
it's better than Oakland and FAR better than SFO. If you don't care
about crouds and you're only looking to go to downtown SF, then SFO is
the best choice because there's immediate access to mass transit.
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
If someone would prefer to drive 90 minutes to avoid a 20-minute queue in
the airport, then they are irrational.

It's not 90. Hasn't been for years.

How long does it take you to drive from Berkeley to SJC at 8am?

That said, some people would drive for THREE hours to ovoid a 20 minute
queue. It's irrational to you because your view is too narrow.

It's irrational to me because it makes no sense. If you have a contrary
argument that would be interesting; if you just want to toss around insults
I guess we can stop it here.

miguel