"Easy" SF Bay Area airport

Old June 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Gary L. Burnore

Default "Easy" SF Bay Area airport

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:45:38 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
If someone would prefer to drive 90 minutes to avoid a 20-minute queue in
the airport, then they are irrational.

It's not 90. Hasn't been for years.

How long does it take you to drive from Berkeley to SJC at 8am?

Dip****, Berkeley is on the other side of the bay from San Francisco.
You've not been reading, have you? Even then, the requestor wasn't
specifying a time of travel. YOU need to because you're losing the
argument.

Oh, and to answer your question, likely the same amount of time it'd
take to drive from SFO to Berkeley at the same hour.

Old June 15th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Gary L. Burnore wrote:

How long does it take you to drive from Berkeley to SJC at 8am?

Oh, and to answer your question, likely the same amount of time it'd
take to drive from SFO to Berkeley at the same hour.

^^^^^
You meant ``walk from SFO to Berkeley,'' right?

Old June 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
John R. Levine

And is there public transportation to San Francisco from San Jose airport?

Sort of. You can take CalTrain to the SJ light rail and then take a shuttle
bus to the airport (possibly there is a superior alternative involving more
bus and less rail). I sure wouldn't bother.

Take the same bus, the VTA #10 airport flyer, in the other direction
from the airport directly to the Santa Clara train station. The bus
stops every 15 minutes at terminal A and takes 20 minutes to get to
the train station.

You can take any of several door-to-door shuttle vans to San Francisco
for about $70, or you can take the Airporter bus to SFO for $15 and
take BART from there.

I agree that it's all rather slow ways to get to San Francisco and I
wouldn't bother either. I'm flying into SFO tomorrow and I'll take
BART.

Old June 16th, 2004, 04:11 AM
eric h

In article ,
Gary L. Burnore wrote:

It's less than 60 minutes from there to downtown SF on a bad day.

90 min on Caltrain on weekends, plus a 10 minute bus ride, plus about a 10
minute wait for the bus, plus however long it takes to get from wherever
you're staying in SF to the Caltrain terminal. With BART making the trip
to SFO much more convenient, I don't really consider SJC unless it's a
signficantly cheaper flight, like $50 cheaper.

OAK isn't a bad connection, but the shuttle bus is an annoyance and you
gotta have exact change for it, which is even more annoying.
--
---
"Wake Up, Everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Miguel Cruz

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Gary L. Burnore wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
If someone would prefer to drive 90 minutes to avoid a 20-minute queue in
the airport, then they are irrational.

It's not 90. Hasn't been for years.

How long does it take you to drive from Berkeley to SJC at 8am?

Dip****, Berkeley is on the other side of the bay from San Francisco.
You've not been reading, have you?

I don't think you have. I never suggested it would take 90 minutes from
downtown San Francisco to SFO.

miguel
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Miguel Cruz

eric h wrote:
OAK isn't a bad connection, but the shuttle bus is an annoyance and you
gotta have exact change for it, which is even more annoying.

From the Coliseum station to OAK you have to buy a $2 BART ticket from the
machine. Not sure about the other direction as I think I've always been
picked up.

miguel
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:53 AM
eric h

In article ,
Miguel Cruz wrote:

From the Coliseum station to OAK you have to buy a $2 BART ticket from the
machine. Not sure about the other direction as I think I've always been
picked up.

Same deal, $2, exact change, gotta buy the ticket in the airport, not on
the bus--which is an absurdly high fare for such a short ride. All in
all, it's an utterly absurd inconvenience, exactly not the thing to be
doing if you want to promote transit use, and a great reason to not fly
into OAK.

By contrast, the SJC shuttle is free to connect to both Caltrain and the
VTA trolley, and the SFO shuttle train to BART is free as well--or, at
least, the cost is embedded in the BART ticket.
--
---
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:03 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
eric h wrote:
Same deal, $2, exact change, gotta buy the ticket in the airport, not on
the bus--which is an absurdly high fare for such a short ride.

Between Coliseum BART and OAK, there is also AC Transit bus #50, with a
fare of $1.50, or $1.25 with a transfer-from-BART pass. See
http://www.actransit.org .

BART from SFO to downtown San Francisco isn't cheap either:

downtown SF to SFO: $4.95
downtown SF to San Bruno: $3.25
San Bruno to SFO: $2.75

(San Bruno is the first BART stop on the line to downtown San Francisco)

For comparison, Coliseum to downtown San Francisco is $3.15 on BART, so
total fare between OAK and downtown San Francisco is $4.40 to $5.15.

BART information: http://www.bart.gov .

Caltrain is possibly useful for some destinations (need to take a BART
ride to Millbrae from SFO -- $1.50). See http://www.caltrain.com for
information.

Timothy J. Lee
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:13 AM
eric h

In article ,
Timothy J. Lee wrote:

BART from SFO to downtown San Francisco isn't cheap either:

Nope, but significantly more convenient than getting to OAK,
notwithstanding that wacky intra-airport train system.

downtown SF to San Bruno: $3.25
San Bruno to SFO: $2.75

ISTR that this is one of the ways that the ext. to SFO got paid for.
Probably something similar at the JFK and EWR airtrains.

--
---