Smoking in Singapore

Old October 26th, 2004, 11:07 AM
RAK

"OrangeMan" wrote in message
om...
It is allowed in bars, at least the ones I go to.
Also it is allowed in restaurants with outdoor eating areas.
Basically the rule seems to be: no smoking indoors except pubs.
And definitely no throwing the butts on the ground outdoors.

same in London , no butts to be cast away , they are non biodegadeable .
80 pounds fine for offenders

I saw somethiung in the news about that.
It is very odd since there is so much general litter in London and no-one
ever seems to get fined for littering. It would be hard to find the ciggy
butts among the general rubbish on many streets. (I am a Londoner btw)

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Tchiowa

"edgy" wrote in message ...
"Kristina" wrote in message
Can someone tell me about smoking in Singapore? Is it allowed
anywhere? Restaurants? Walking down the street? etc?

THis may sound like an idiotic question but I do not want to get in
trouble on a coming business trip to Singapore!

Thanks for any information and guidance!

kristina

You should behave exactly the same way you behave anywhere else in the
world.

That is, do not smoke anywhere where your smoke might cause illness or
discomfort to any other person, unless that person is an adult who has
freely and explicitly consented to it without any pressure from you or
anyone else.

Exactly. Smokers have every right to smoke, but non-smokers have every
right not to smoke. Smokers must remember that they have no right to
force anyone else to smoke against their will: any time, any place,
any amount. If you can't smoke without that smoke reaching someone
else, don't smoke.

The advice someone gave about looking for signs in Singapore is wrong.
Many places are non-smoking by law and don't put up signs. Kind of
like not putting up "don't stab anyone in the chest with a butcher
knife" signs.

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:05 AM
michael

Tchiowa wrote:

Exactly. Smokers have every right to smoke, but non-smokers have every
right not to smoke. Smokers must remember that they have no right to
force anyone else to smoke against their will: any time, any place,
any amount. If you can't smoke without that smoke reaching someone
else, don't smoke.

your reasoning here, to use that word very loosely, lacks more than a
little...drivers have every right to drive, i suppose, and i have every
right not to breathe the fumes from anyone's exhaust... if you can't
drive without your exhaust reaching someone else, don't drive... think
about it... your line is just simple bias and ideological nonsense...

michael

Old October 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

michael wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Exactly. Smokers have every right to smoke, but non-smokers have every
right not to smoke. Smokers must remember that they have no right to
force anyone else to smoke against their will: any time, any place,
any amount. If you can't smoke without that smoke reaching someone
else, don't smoke.

your reasoning here, to use that word very loosely, lacks more than a
little...drivers have every right to drive, i suppose, and i have every
right not to breathe the fumes from anyone's exhaust... if you can't
drive without your exhaust reaching someone else, don't drive...

Sounds good to me.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:59 PM
michael

Miguel Cruz wrote:
michael wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

Exactly. Smokers have every right to smoke, but non-smokers have every
right not to smoke. Smokers must remember that they have no right to
force anyone else to smoke against their will: any time, any place,
any amount. If you can't smoke without that smoke reaching someone
else, don't smoke.

your reasoning here, to use that word very loosely, lacks more than a
little...drivers have every right to drive, i suppose, and i have every
right not to breathe the fumes from anyone's exhaust... if you can't
drive without your exhaust reaching someone else, don't drive...

Sounds good to me.

miguel

me too actually... i'd be able to take my usual long walks in bangkok
without getting my usual upper respiratory tract infection... but
drivers seem to be sacrosanct where smokers are anaethema (or something
like that)... hence my conclusion that anti-smoking screeds like the
above are mere blind prejudice and not at all what they purport to be...

michael

Old October 27th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Tchiowa

michael wrote in message ...
Tchiowa wrote:

Exactly. Smokers have every right to smoke, but non-smokers have every
right not to smoke. Smokers must remember that they have no right to
force anyone else to smoke against their will: any time, any place,
any amount. If you can't smoke without that smoke reaching someone
else, don't smoke.

your reasoning here, to use that word very loosely, lacks more than a
little...drivers have every right to drive, i suppose, and i have every
right not to breathe the fumes from anyone's exhaust... if you can't
drive without your exhaust reaching someone else, don't drive... think
about it... your line is just simple bias and ideological nonsense...

Your analogy is nonsensical.

Exhaust is a by-product of driving. Smoke is the core product of
smoking. If you want to create exhaust so that you can breathe it, you
have an obligation to prevent it from reaching other people. If you
want to create smoke so you can breathe it, you have an obligation to
prevent it from reaching other people.

Old October 28th, 2004, 01:35 PM
edgy

"michael" wrote in message

your reasoning here, to use that word very loosely, lacks more than a
little...drivers have every right to drive, i suppose, and i have every
right not to breathe the fumes from anyone's exhaust... if you can't drive
without your exhaust reaching someone else, don't drive... think about
it... your line is just simple bias and ideological nonsense...

Interesting logic. Allow me to summarise:

1. Cigarette smoke gets into the atmosphere and causes problems.
2. Vehicle fumes also get into the atmosphere and cause problems.
3. Therefore, nothing can be done about the problems of cigarette smoke.