Bangkok airport

Old November 5th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Miguel Cruz

RAK wrote:
The Amari airport hotel is near the airport but not inside. I stayed there
earlier this year. It took only a few minutes to drive there, but coming
back the next morning was a nightmare. I think the drive involved a big U
turn round the freeway, then we could not get back on the usual road because
of a massive fatal accident, then there was another fatal accident blocking
another section, and the driver had to make a big diversion to get into the
airport via back roads. This is of course unlikely to happen to you, but if
I had not left the hotel early, maybe 2 1/2 hours before the flight, I would
have missed it. If you arrive at the midnight you will probably not be in
the room until maybe 1am then should leave around 4.30, not worth it in my
opinion. And the hotel is mediocre.

Agreed, the hotel is most unimpressive.

But you can walk there in about 5 minutes through the enclosed sky tunnel
thing. The signs in the airport are a little obscure, but it's the same exit
you take for the airport rail station. You can bring luggage carts in the
sky tunnel; when you get to the hotel end, the porters will take your bag to
the reception desk.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Miguel Cruz

Sandy Cruden wrote:
The other Amari Group hotels in BKK have an excellent reputation so I
can't see why the Airport one would be mediocre.

My room at the airport Amari was full of mosquitos, smelled funky, had
lightweight little beds that rolled around like bumper cars (I fell between
them in the middle of the night) and was so full of craven sales pitches
("Like the curtains? Want to buy them?!?! How about the carpeting? Or the
telephone!! Just contact reception!!!!!") that I felt like I was staying in
a studio set on the Home Shopping Network.

They have a captive audience and they know it.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:47 AM
RAK

"Sandy Cruden" wrote in message

There is no need to drive to the BKK Amari Airport hotel!
there is a covered airbridge over the road *into* the hotel, and a lift
from the arrivals hall up to the airbridge. Staff from the hotel are
always
on hand to take your bags over for you.
They do have short stays, but I'm sure they are only available during the
day, If I remember correctly the room has to be vacated by 6pm.
The other Amari Group hotels in BKK have an excellent reputation so I
can't see why the Airport one would be mediocre.

Sandy

Oops, I think it was not the Amari. I think that was full and I stayed in
another one very near the airport, on the same road, using a shuttle bus.
Sorry!

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:48 AM
RAK

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
,......

But you can walk there in about 5 minutes through the enclosed sky tunnel
thing. The signs in the airport are a little obscure, but it's the same
exit
you take for the airport rail station. You can bring luggage carts in the
sky tunnel; when you get to the hotel end, the porters will take your bag
the reception desk.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Sorry, it was a different hotel I stayed in, very near the airport but not
the Amari.

Old November 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:18:24 +0700, Chanchao
wrote:

On 25 Nov 2004 11:02:53 -0800, (coco) wrote some stuff
about "Bangkok airport", to which I would like to add the following:

Hello I am flying into Bangkok late , late and out early, early in the
morning . Will the executive lounge be open at 1 AM in the morning
for me (I am flying in executive class) I have been told by friends
that this is NOT a problem and do not worry about it, but when I asked
the airlines they say they close at midnight. I know there are nice
sleepers in the executive lounges..........but can I get in??? I do
not want to be searching for a room at 1-1:30 AM. I have emailed
Thai airlines, but they do not respond. Can anyone answer this
question????

Yes. You fly executive class. Long flight to Thailand. What exactly makes you
think that wandering around airports and catching a rest in a lounge until the
morning and THEN try to make your way into town in horrific rush hour traffic
is somehow better than just booking a hotel on the web and zoom overthere in
under 30 minutes in a meter taxi?

He doesn't have any intention of going into town the next morning.
From what he says its clear he expects to be on another flight out of
the country by then.

Your idea to find a hotel is probably best, not downtown, but one near
the airport. The Quality Inn is supposed to be good and you can book
it in advance through many of the online booking services. Better
value than the Airport Amari, which is grossly overpriced.

Chris

Old November 26th, 2004, 08:22 PM
six-toes

(1) Since there are so many items about ATMs in Thailand, I wonder if
there is a Star or Cirrus ATM machine at the Bangkok international
Airport?
************************************************** ************************
I have used ATMs in domestic side , but have never seen a ATM in
arrivals International . I did see some in International departures
though .
maybe they only want cash and cheques
Old November 27th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Sandy Cruden

"six-toes" wrote in message
om...
(1) Since there are so many items about ATMs in Thailand, I wonder if
there is a Star or Cirrus ATM machine at the Bangkok international
Airport?
************************************************** ************************
I have used ATMs in domestic side , but have never seen a ATM in
arrivals International . I did see some in International departures
though .
maybe they only want cash and cheques

There are ATM's in International arrivals (at least in Terminal 2) As you
come out of the doors into the arrivals hall, turn left and just past the
snack bar on the left hand side there are 3 ATM's
Sandy

Old December 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Chris Blunt wrote:

He doesn't have any intention of going into town the next morning.
From what he says its clear he expects to be on another flight out of
the country by then.

Your idea to find a hotel is probably best, not downtown, but one near
the airport. The Quality Inn is supposed to be good and you can book

Depends on how early his flight leaves. Have to pay THB 500 to leave
the country, and I believe that's going up to THB 700 soon. Hotel
shuttles are sometimes only every hour and the pickup time can be long.
I'd stay put in the terminal building if the flight leaves real early.