what is there to buy in china/beijing shangai

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Pan

On 21 Dec 2004 14:38:36 -0800, "
wrote:

(I hope my reply doesn't show up twice. My first attempt ended in the
server error.)

You know, I bet if I stay in China 6 more months I'll be fully
acclimated and can eat anything I want without ever getting sick.
Unfortunately I have been in the hygenic US too long (25 years). I
have lost all resistance to these germs that bug me. I am also more
adventurous than I should. My motto is if you can eat it, why can't I?
So I suffer the consequence as a results. My body is very much a
barometer of how clean water is where I travel. I got sick in
Thailand, in Brazil (two out of three trips), and in China (three in
three weeks).

Do you drink unboiled water in every place you visit? I hope not. You
could get cholera, shistosomiasis, and various other horrible diseases
in some places.

[snip]
Regarding Chinese food, I don't care too much for the northern cuisine.
Is it a mere coincidence I am of southern geneaology?

[snip]

Clearly it isn't. Beijing food in my experience is terrific. I also
love Cantonese food, so I'm not being biased here.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä

Possibly, but the only time I ever eat in hotel restaurants is when I have
to for work (lunch meetings and so on), and whenever I've gotten sick, so
have most of the other people. Perhaps my comments at these meetings are

so
offensive that everyone gets sick, and the food has nothing to do with it.

Apart from breakfasts I seldom dine at hotels myself.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Pan

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:23:42 -0000, "DC." not@home wrote:

[snip]
Yes it's generally true that most of the Northern dishes are 'bland'
compared to the more Southern dishes

[snip]

Bland compared to Cantonese? Anyway, I disagree. I loved the spicy
pickles that were served at dim sum places in Beijing, for example.
That region of China is not far from Korea and its food shows some
commonalities with Korean food.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjotti:
Possibly, but the only time I ever eat in hotel restaurants is when I
have to for work (lunch meetings and so on), and whenever I've gotten
sick, so have most of the other people. Perhaps my comments at these
meetings are so offensive that everyone gets sick, and the food has
nothing to do with it.

Apart from breakfasts I seldom dine at hotels myself.

I must say I find that the breakfasts are almost never a problem. Perhaps
it's the fast turnover, or the simpler food, or something.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
DC.

snip
You'll find a bunch of Chinese-Cuban restaurants in New York City.

miguel

Really ?!! wow, didn't know that combination existed... i have a few friends
from the Caribbean & they have mixed Chinese blood & i'm aware that there
are Chinese people living & amalgamated into Caribbean/West Indian culture.
(Leslie Kong - music producer Desmond Dekkar & the Israelites for example)
but the Cuban angle is new to me : )

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
DC.

"Pan" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:23:42 -0000, "DC." not@home wrote:

[snip]
Yes it's generally true that most of the Northern dishes are 'bland'
compared to the more Southern dishes

[snip]

snip
Bland compared to Cantonese? Anyway, I disagree. I loved the spicy
pickles that were served at dim sum places in Beijing, for example.
That region of China is not far from Korea and its food shows some
commonalities with Korean food.

Michael

Hi Micheal,

Well i did say 'generally' & i do not mean all Northern Chinese food is
bland... as i'm eating my late lunch of steamed pork with tianjin preserved
veg. & rice. A northern dish! east of Beijing if i'm not mistaken : )

It's just that Cantonese cuisine is a little more how shall i say...
'colourful' esp. after the excesses of the 70's & 80's boom in HK, where
Cantonese cuisine went ballistic in my opinion, you know how crazy they get
with seafood & fish, then there's all the newer stuff like XO sauce & every
business meal or high class meal has to end with a bottle or 2 of XO Brandy
etc.. I think with the money came the opportunity to expand the Cantonese
cuisine & try new things, changing the common sleepy back water HK cuisine
to something special. Like i say, maybe in time to come, Beijing & Northern
Chinese cuisine will also evolve. I know that Shanghainese food is already
evolving & changing a little with all the new people & money around. It
happens everywhere. And once it gets as popular as Cantonese cuisine, it can
then be 'exported' out to other countries outside China & Asia, like how
Cantonese cuisine/food is like in the West.

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
DC.

snip
Possibly, but the only time I ever eat in hotel restaurants is when I have
to for work (lunch meetings and so on), and whenever I've gotten sick, so
have most of the other people. Perhaps my comments at these meetings are

so
offensive that everyone gets sick, and the food has nothing to do with it.

Please remind me never to have a business lunch meeting with you Miguel LOL.
That's really bad luck that everyone fell ill on a business lunch meeting.
I'd take my chances & eat out on the streets or even in the staff canteens,
now that sounds better, all those home style meals or 'economy' meals as
some people call it.

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
DC.

snip
Do be prepared to get diarrhea during part of your trip. My family and
I (4 people) all got it at some point on a 2-week trip to Beijing,
Changchun, and Shanghai last summer. Avoid all fruits and vegetables
that can't be peeled, unless they're cooked or pickled (I may be
wrong, but I thought pickled would be OK and enjoyed pickles very much
while I was in China).

There's a old Chinese saying & believe that when you travel, it's easy to
get 'filled up with wind'. Hence you often find many elderly Chinese
travellers with all sorts of menthol oil or tiger balm type rubs & potions,
very similar to how the Victorians travelled many years ago, always with a
bottle of smelling salts handy & a bottle of salts (old style Alcaseltzer)
to alleviate any symptoms of travel sickness, upset stomaches or just plain
old windy, farty & general burps : ) brought on by unfamiliar foods,
changing time zones, lack of sleep etc.

Also, be prepared to get a respiratory infection and bring along a
good remedy, such as a thing that squirts salt water into your nose.

Now i'm afraid... i know it's winter & with the shadow of SARS looming, is
it really that bad? when you say respiratory, what do you mean exactly?
colds? blocked sinuses?

DC.