Travellers cheques to Thailand?

Old January 30th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Who Goes There

Default Travellers cheques to Thailand?

Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me in
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find the
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is because
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2% (minimum £2)
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

I'm unsure what is the best value so any input would be appreciated.

thanks

Old January 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Who Goes There" wgt@nowhere kirjoitti viestissä
Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me

in
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find

the
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

No it does not. Perhaps there is still a 23 baht tax fee per note but for
200 euro notes that is only 0.2% or so.

Old January 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Miguel Cruz

Who Goes There wgt@nowhere wrote:
The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is because
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2% (minimum £2)
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

Why would you continue to leave your money at such a bank? You are rewarding
them for their punitive behavior.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old January 30th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Who=20
Goes There says...
Hi all
=20
I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me =

in=20
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find t=

he=20
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I ge=

t=20
the cheques in $US or GBP?
=20
The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is beca=

use=20
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2% (minimum =

=A32)=20
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

Are you sure you are not confusing a credit card with an ATM card ? Cash=20
advance is usually done with credit cards, not debit (ATM) cards.

In any case, changing banks would be a good idea.
--=20

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,=20
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,=20
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old January 30th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Who Goes There

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Who
Goes There says...

Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me in
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find the
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is because
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2% (minimum £2)
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

Are you sure you are not confusing a credit card with an ATM card ? Cash
advance is usually done with credit cards, not debit (ATM) cards.

In any case, changing banks would be a good idea.

Here is the reply from my bank when I asked about ATM charges using my
debit card:

snip

Hello

Thank you for your message.

When using your card overseas, two charges can apply. However you use
it, you'll be charged a 2.75% overseas transaction charge (which will be
included in the transaction on your statement).

If you're getting cash with your card (either over the counter or at a
cash machine) there's also a 2% (or at least £2) cash advance fee.

The cash advance fee applies even if you're buying currency in this
country, if you use a Visa debit or credit card.

The best value is to buy the currency directly from us before you go.
You can visit any of our branches, or we can send you the currency by post.

Enjoy your trip!

snip