Most scenic places in Asia

Old July 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:11:32 +0200, "Dasmariñas"
wrote:

Just to add a few ones:

To rephrase an old sentiment, nothing is so beautiful that someone,
somewhere won't think it's a pile of crud.
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:35 AM
george

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Bagan is number one for me. You could also add Mt. Everest, the 200+
meter high red sand dunes of the Rub al Khali, Halong Bay, and idyllic
rice fields among the mountains of Sri Lanka.

George

Old July 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Alfred Molon

In article .com,
george says...

the 200+
meter high red sand dunes of the Rub al Khali,

Where is that ?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
george says...
the 200+ meter high red sand dunes of the Rub al Khali,

Where is that ?

It's the Empty Quarter in Saudi Arabia. Nothing but sand and more sand.

miguel
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
george

Alfred Molon wrote:
the 200+
meter high red sand dunes of the Rub al Khali,

Where is that ?

The Shaybah Oil Field, Saudi Arabia by the UAE border. There may be
others elsewhere.

George

Old July 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Frans Vandenbosch

george wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Bagan is number one for me.

Fully agree with you. Bagan has something which is hard to describe.
The scene of course but also the incredible number of ancient temples, the
sunset, the special silence at noon time and the nearby Ayeyarwady river,
"Where the flyin'-fishes play, an' the dawn comes up like thunder..."
(Rudyard Kipling, The road to Mandalay)

Every attempt to make such a list with "most scenic places in Asia"
will end up with a variety of personal taste and appreciation.

My criteria a
silence, culture, people, history, mountains and landscapes, technical
issues, etc.
In that sequence. But i can imagine that everybody has his own priorities..

On my list, there a

Some intact small villages deep in the forest in Nordeast Myanmar.
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...-%2010.17.html

The whole scenery and villages of the Longsheng terraces nearby Guilin in
China.
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Chi...lides/814.html

The magnificent "wind and rain bridges" in the Dong Autonomous County, at
the north of Guangxi, the boundary between the three Provinces of Hunan,
Guangxi and Guizhou in China.
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Chi...lides/661.html

The unknown, unspoilt Bengal Gulf beach in the Sittwe area, in Myanmar,
near the Bangladesh border.
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...-%2017.17.html

Old July 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Henk de Jong

Frans Vandenbosch wrote:
george wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Bagan is number one for me.

And Henk wrote:

Bagan is the most special place on earth, because my sweet Burmese wife was
born there :-)
http://www.hsdejong.nl/burma/bagan/bagan.html

second:
Shwedagon Paya in Yangon:
http://www.hsdejong.nl/burma/yangon/...agon_paya.html

and third:
Swayambhunath in Kathmandu
http://www.hsdejong.nl/nepal/index_p...ambhunath.html

With kind regards,
Henk de Jong

--
http://www.hsdejong.nl/
Nepal and Burma (Myanmar) - Photo Galleries

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM

On 15 Jul 2005 22:35:54 -0700, "george" wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Bagan is number one for me. You could also add Mt. Everest, the 200+
meter high red sand dunes of the Rub al Khali, Halong Bay, and idyllic
rice fields among the mountains of Sri Lanka.

This brings to mind Herbert Spencer's remark when he finally saw the
Niagara Falls. 'Much as I expected.'

Old July 21st, 2005, 12:07 AM

hmm ... Did he said that ?
Better read the book of the (Flemish) Father Louis Hennepin,
who first decribed the Niagara Falls in 1677

I wasn't claiming out that Spencer was the FIRST to describe the
falls. I was simply making ironic mention of how blase people's
reaction can be to seeing something that has already been amply
described.
In this thread there have been a number of jaded comments from
travellers regarding scenic spots.