What is stopover exactly?

Old November 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Han

Default What is stopover exactly?

I think it has been discussed more than hundred times here.

Any link or basic definition will be appreciated.

My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours.
I remember someone here said staying after first connection is
stopover.

I am confused.

Old November 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Han" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it has been discussed more than hundred times here.

Any link or basic definition will be appreciated.

My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours.
I remember someone here said staying after first connection is
stopover.

I'd say that leaving the airport lounge is a stop-over.

BICBW

tim

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours. I remember
someone here said staying after first connection is stopover.

It depends on where you are going. In the U.S. anything more than 4 hours
is not allowed, and will require a separate fare--though there are
exceptions--you can often arrive on the last flight at night and then leave
on the first flight in the morning and that is a through-connection.
Likewise, sometimes an airline will sell you a U.S. domestic ticket with a
six-hour or so connection (the NWA website often offers connections longer
than 4 hours for the same fare as other connections, even when tighter
options are available).

For transatlantic travel it seems that you can stay in European hubs for up
to 24 hours and it is still considered a through connection, and not a
"stopover."

If you are staying longer than what an airline will allow as a connection
(be it 4 hours, a bit longer, or up to 24 hours depending upon your airline
and routing) then it becomes a "stopover", and you will either have to be
travelling using a fare that ALLOWS a stopover, or you will have to pay an
additional amount for a stopover, or you will have to pay an additional fare
for your ongoing flight. Depending on where you are going, call the
airline(s) you plan to use and ask.

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM
MC

"tim (moved to sweden)" wrote in message

"Han" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it has been discussed more than hundred times here.

Any link or basic definition will be appreciated.

My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours.
I remember someone here said staying after first connection is
stopover.

I'd say that leaving the airport lounge is a stop-over.

My travel agent says a stopover is one or more nights break in the journey.

MC

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:44 PM
hotsexyfa

"Han" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it has been discussed more than hundred times here.

Any link or basic definition will be appreciated.

My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours.
I remember someone here said staying after first connection is
stopover.

I am confused.

In order to understand this correctly you have to separate it into two
parts, the real world, and the airline rules world.

In the real world, stopover means stopping over in a city for a few
hours, usually to make a connection. Unfortunately, passengers have
taken an airline term and started using it incorrectly, calling this a
layover. If they are connecting in Dallas and have two hours between
flights, they incorrectly call that a layover. Layover is when you
actually stay overnight in a city before continuing your journey or
returning home. In general, you passengers have stopovers, we airline
crews have layovers. Except when we're connecting flights
immediately, then we have stopovers too.

In the airline rules world, the story is completely different.
Airlines usually use the term stopover in their fare rules to mean
staying in a city for a time longer than the few hours that it takes
to make a connection. As you may know, airline rules are arbitrary,
and the airlines make whatever rules they like. In some cases, if you
are connecting, your onward flight must commence within 4 or 6 hours
of your inbound arrival in order to count as a connection and get the
lower fare. Otherwise, it's considered a stopover and the fare will
be much higher. Also, a lot of international airlines will offer
connections in their major hub city and offer what they call a
stopover package, say from the US to Cairo on Iberia with Madrid Amigo
where you can spend a night in Madrid before continuing on to Cairo.

Bottom line, from the point of view of buying a ticket, a stopover is
whatever the airline says it is.

Old November 9th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Han

Thanks guys. I got more than what I wanted.

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:57 AM
nobody

Han wrote:
My coworker said stopover is staying more than 12 hours.
I remember someone here said staying after first connection is
stopover.

There are various definitions depending on context and fare rules of
your ticket.

In some cases, it is 4 hours between flights, in others, it is 12, in
others is if you don't catch the first connecting flight (which could be
more than 24 hours away).

For instance, if you are in A and to get to C, you need to go through B.
A-B only runs on tuesdays, B-C only runs on thursdays.

Your stay in B wouldn't be considered a stopover provided you purchases
a A-C ticket..

Often, the actual fare rules will define what a stopover is. (assuing
your dumbed down web reservation system is able to show you the actual
fare code and fare rules before yo buy your ticket).