A girl wants to hire me as her pretend boyfriend for a trip back to China to see her family. Scam?

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

Default A girl wants to hire me as her pretend boyfriend for a trip back to China to see her family. Scam?

you say lying to your parents is fun?

PeterL schrieb:
Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , blue.star77
@REMOOVEvirgin.net says...
how about taking up the offer and : if you a. fancy the girl b. need the
money
or c. like the idea of the trip. then,

Did it occur to anybody that taking up this offer involves cheating the
parents and relatives of this girl? I wouldn't have a good feeling
posing as boyfriend for the family of this girl.
--

I suppose you have never lied to your parents.

Besides this is a troll. Just having some fun.

Alfred Molon

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

camy wrote:
you say lying to your parents is fun?

It can be, depending on what it's about.

Old May 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

J.Venning wrote:
wrote in message ups.com...
And miss out on what may turn out to be fun and suspension? no way!!!
I'd say go, and enjoy.

Oy, Alphabet! I know all about the fun, but tell me more about the suspension.

The suspension of not knowing what's going to happen next. What are
tomorrow's events, where to go. What will be her parents' reaction.
What part of China they are going, city? or rural? Educated parents?
or old-fashioned parents? What happen if they have to share the same
bed. What would happen if parents say to marry before returning back
to Australia,... The list could go on and on,...

J.

Old May 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

camy wrote:
as example like how?

The snark was a boojum.

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

wrote in message oups.com...
wrote in message ups.com...
And miss out on what may turn out to be fun and suspension? no way!!!
I'd say go, and enjoy.

Oy, Alphabet! I know all about the fun, but tell me more about the suspension.

The suspension of not knowing what's going to happen next. What are
tomorrow's events, where to go. What will be her parents' reaction.
What part of China they are going, city? or rural? Educated parents?
or old-fashioned parents? What happen if they have to share the same
bed. What would happen if parents say to marry before returning back
to Australia,... The list could go on and on,...

Talking about malapropism!
J.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

was für eine Sprache ist das?

PeterL schrieb:
camy wrote:
as example like how?

The snark was a boojum.

Old May 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
Two possibilities that I know of.

1. Its legit, and you are functioning as a gigolo. Possible.

2. You go there, and of course when their you find out that she has said
you are her fiance. You play along. Meet the family, toasts to your future
health, engagement parties, gifts left right and centre, etc. She thanks
you at the the end, and apologises for the tiny additional white lie (that
you are engaged and not just friends - I had to do it to prevent the
arranged marriage). She says she would like to visit Australia, at her
expense. She can get a visa to enter Australia as your fiance, there is a
special visa category. Please just help me with my visa! She comes out,
but her family has decided that she needs a chaperone, and her uncle comes
out as well. They want to meet your family as well, but uncle doesn't
doesn't know its a scam, so please tell your parents that we are thinking
of getting married or else my family will be furious they paid for the
airfare. So now you have told her family, your family, and the Australian
Department of Immigration that you are engaged, and she is living at your
place in Australia with a big burly Chinese guy visitting every day. How
about we just do a pretend marriage so I can stay with you longer -
completely pretence, just so I can stay longer? After all I have done
showing you around China, is this too much to ask? What are you going to
do? The further you get into this, the harder it will be to get out, and
travelling to China and spending a month there is definitely in too far
already.

Any evidence that she is actually 26? Or, more to the point, that her
family is rich?

You would be crazy to do this. If you are generally interested in this
girl (and not a holiday), tell her that you can't visit China at the
moment, why doesn't she come out to Australia first for a holiday - she
could tell her family that your family wants to meet her first, and you
could be completely upfront with your family that she is just a friend you
met on the internet. You carry little risk, and you could then make a
better decision on whether you really want to go to China. Insist she gets
a package tour which includes accomodation, as your place is too small for
her to stay.

If she does decide to visit Australia, ask for a scan in advance of her
passport and/or Chinese ID card. Also ask if she has travelled overseas
before. If she refuses to supply a passport scan, or turns out to be 37,
run away. Check all this information against her passport as soon as she
arrives, and if she had lied at all, create a scene and run (don't walk)
away.

Or better, yet, don't do it. She may well hang around chat rooms for the
express purpose of getting hooks into Westerners. The family would be in
on the scam - they are funding her in the expectation they will all get
Australian visas under family reunion provisions.

Frankly, I think you would be an idiot to do this.

Peter Webb

Peter you have a very far reaching mind. i raise my hat to you !

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

Hey Peter

Your starting assumptions are wrong, but you paint an interesting
picture of how a series of small deceptions could lead me into trouble.

To sum up...

Facts:

* She lives and works in my country already
* I've met her
* I've got no reason to doubt she's 26 or anything else she's told me
so far
* I like her
* She appears to like me
* I love the idea of seeing China, especially with someone who knows
the lang/culture

Risks:

Mule? This doesn't add up to me. Any substance worth more than the
cost of getting me over there is going to be picked up by xray - it
wouldn't be good business. And if it's information, then it'd be much
easier just to transfer it over the net (the great firewall of China
isn't that formidable from what I hear).

Kidnap? For what?

Marriage? Possibly, but this doesn't strike me as a huge risk in
itself. Even if I somehow get tricked or pressured into marriage while
in China (extremely unlikely), so what? Worst case, I could lose money
in a divorce or something.

Visa? This seems like the most likely motive, but if so, why invite me
to China? Surely the best plan would be to marry me here. And if she
was only interested in me for a Visa, then why would she chat with me
for so long. Surely she'd be pushing to get to the marriage part ASAP.

Tests:

* Pretend there's no chance of me going - check her reaction
* Hire a Private Investigator to check out her history here and in
China - see if it matches up to what she's told me
* Thoroughly check luggage before going through any airport security

Anyway, that's my thinking about all this right now.

PBF

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

especially the seams of any sewn luggage !