Frankfurt Rail connections question

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Paul

Default Frankfurt Rail connections question

Hi there,

I need some info re Frankfurt rail connections and hope someone on the
group can help.

We arrive at Frankfurt Main Airport on a flight in the early morning
and wish to travel to Heidelberg by train. A week later we are
returning to Frankfurt (from Heidelberg) to take the ICE train to
Cologne and on to Brussels. The Frankfurt - Heidleberg trip will be a
return one, but the Frankfurt - Brussels trip the following week is
one way.

I can't determine from the many websites I've looked at if the railway
station at the airport is simply a short distance connection to
another "mainline" station in Frankfurt which we take in order to
change to a "main line" train to go to Heidelberg, or if we can get
the Heidelberg train directly from the airport? To add further
confusion, if we can get the Heidleberg train directly from the
airport, do I buy a return ticket to take us back there to get the ICE
train the following week, or do we get onto that at a different
station, perhaps in the centre of Frankfurt? If the latter is the
case, what's my best option with the ticketing? A one way Airport ot
Frankfurt perhaps, then a return rankfurt to Heidelberg? I don;t
understand which trains go to which stations etc.

It's the ticketing issue which I'm particularly interested in, as I
don't know if I should buy a return from the airport to Heidelberg, or
a return from another station in Frankfurt so that we can travel back
to the correct station for the ICE train the following week.

Any help from those familiar with the arrangements will be most
appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Paul
New Zealand.
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

Hi there,

I need some info re Frankfurt rail connections and hope someone on the
group can help.

We arrive at Frankfurt Main Airport on a flight in the early morning
and wish to travel to Heidelberg by train. A week later we are
returning to Frankfurt (from Heidelberg) to take the ICE train to
Cologne and on to Brussels. The Frankfurt - Heidleberg trip will be a
return one, but the Frankfurt - Brussels trip the following week is
one way.

I can't determine from the many websites I've looked at if the railway
station at the airport is simply a short distance connection to]

FRA (flughafen) has 2 rail stations connected by walkway to terminal 1.
The S-bahn goes to Frankfurt, Mainz and Wiesbaden. The long distance
rail station will take you to Heidelberg, up along the Rhein to Koeln,
Dusseldorf, and to other points (something via Frankfurt hauptbahnhof).
I've travelled to Koeln (Cologne) and Nuernberg (Nuremberg) directly
from the flughafen station.

Have a look at
www.bahn.de for schedules.

another "mainline" station in Frankfurt which we take in order to
change to a "main line" train to go to Heidelberg, or if we can get
the Heidelberg train directly from the airport? To add further

Looks like no direct trains from Frankfurt flughafen to Heidelberg.
Need to change either in Mannheim or Frankfurt hauptbahnhof (main
station)

confusion, if we can get the Heidleberg train directly from the
airport, do I buy a return ticket to take us back there to get the ICE
train the following week, or do we get onto that at a different
station, perhaps in the centre of Frankfurt? If the latter is the
case, what's my best option with the ticketing? A one way Airport ot
Frankfurt perhaps, then a return rankfurt to Heidelberg? I don;t
understand which trains go to which stations etc.

Looks like a series of OW fares wouldbe simplest

Old April 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM
devil

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:20:51 -0700, Paul wrote:

Hi there,

I need some info re Frankfurt rail connections and hope someone on the
group can help.

We arrive at Frankfurt Main Airport on a flight in the early morning
and wish to travel to Heidelberg by train. A week later we are
returning to Frankfurt (from Heidelberg) to take the ICE train to
Cologne and on to Brussels. The Frankfurt - Heidleberg trip will be a
return one, but the Frankfurt - Brussels trip the following week is
one way.

That's just one possible configuration. Fare issue more than anything
else, really.

On going to Heidelberg, you should be aware that there is a Lufthansa bus
from the airport to Heidelberg, which is not unattractive. When I looked,
the info was on the LH web page.

I can't determine from the many websites I've looked at if the railway
station at the airport is simply a short distance connection to another
"mainline" station in Frankfurt which we take in order to change to a
"main line" train to go to Heidelberg, or if we can get the Heidelberg
train directly from the airport?

The airport is a short hop to downtown. This said, it's conceivable that
some of the trains which stop there might actually continue to Heidelberg.

Old April 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM
tim

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hi there,

It's the ticketing issue which I'm particularly interested in, as I
don't know if I should buy a return from the airport to Heidelberg, or
a return from another station in Frankfurt so that we can travel back
to the correct station for the ICE train the following week.

Frakfurt to Heidleberg is too short a distance for you to benefit
much by buying a discount return ticket (which are only available
if you nominate a specific train).

Buy a single to Heidleberg and a single Heidleberg to Brussels.

tim

Old April 24th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Thomas Peel

Paul schrieb:

Hi there,

I need some info re Frankfurt rail connections and hope someone on the
group can help.

We arrive at Frankfurt Main Airport on a flight in the early morning
and wish to travel to Heidelberg by train. A week later we are
returning to Frankfurt (from Heidelberg) to take the ICE train to
Cologne and on to Brussels. The Frankfurt - Heidleberg trip will be a
return one, but the Frankfurt - Brussels trip the following week is
one way.

Just get oneway tickets and stop worrying.
T.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM
tim

"Kristian" wrote in message
t2net.dk...
(Paul) wrote:
Hi there,
I need some info re Frankfurt rail connections and hope someone on the
group can help.
We arrive at Frankfurt Main Airport on a flight in the early morning
and wish to travel to Heidelberg by train. A week later we are
returning to Frankfurt (from Heidelberg) to take the ICE train to
Cologne and on to Brussels. The Frankfurt - Heidleberg trip will be a
return one, but the Frankfurt - Brussels trip the following week is
one way.
Paul
New Zealand.

--------------
There is a train from the airport (Fehrbahnhof) every hour at the
minute count 53. Its a swift 30 min ride on the ICE train to Mannheim,
where you change to the local humble bumble train towards Heidelberg.
Typically you have to wait only 5-10 mins, for the last 15 min ride.
Price 22 euro.

or you can use the direct bus to Darmstadt and change into the train
there.

Every two hours for 12.80 and only 20 minutes longer

IMHO the ICE supplement does not seem a good use of 10 Euro
for such a short journey, but it seems that there are no other reasonable
options on this route anymore (I'm not counting the S-bahn into
Frankfurt tunnelbahnhof and out again from the Hbf as reasonable,
even without luggage)

tim

On your way to Cologne and Brussels there are direct ICE trains
from Mannheim to Cologne .Total travel time to Brussels about 4 hours.
At the train stations they often have small printed timetables you
can take.

Kristian

Old April 24th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Wolfgang Schwanke

(Paul) wrote in
om:

I can't determine from the many websites I've looked at if the railway
station at the airport is simply a short distance connection to
another "mainline" station in Frankfurt which we take in order to
change to a "main line" train to go to Heidelberg, or if we can get
the Heidelberg train directly from the airport?

Frankfurt Airport station has both commuter trains (S-Bahn) into Frankfurt
city as well as long distance trains. You can query the connections
yourself:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To add further
confusion, if we can get the Heidleberg train directly from the
airport,

Apparently you need to change trains in Mannheim, the first leg being ICE,
the second leg a local train of the Mannheim S-Bahn system. You don't go
through Frankfurt main station.

do I buy a return ticket to take us back there to get the ICE
train the following week, or do we get onto that at a different
station, perhaps in the centre of Frankfurt?

As a general rule, buy single through tickets all the time. There's no
point splitting up your tickets just because you might go through a station
you've been in before.

If the latter is the
case, what's my best option with the ticketing? A one way Airport ot
Frankfurt perhaps, then a return rankfurt to Heidelberg?

1. Frankfurt Airport - Heidelberg
2. Heidelberg - Brussels

I don;t understand which trains go to which stations etc.

You don't have to. Tickets include whatever interchanges are necessary.

Regards

--
Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free.

http://www.wschwanke.de/ usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Paul

Default Frankfurt Rail connections question - Thank you.

Thank you to all the people who replied to my questions. It's all a
lot clearer now and I'll book the fares shortly.

This is a great newsgroup. I'm very grateful for your help.

Regards
Paul
New Zealand.