A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Air travel
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
paddy_nyr[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

A 35 year old "well dressed businessman" was arrested yesterday when he
refused to turn off his laptop for the final approach of his Qantas flight.
The passenger was on board flight QF418 from Melbourne to Sydney and
apparently found whatever he was doing on his laptop to be more important
than listening to flight attendant requests.

Upon landing, all passengers were told to stay seated while the Australian
counter terrorist first response force arrived, taking the man into custody.

Witnesses report seeing the man being interrogated by 6 armed police
officers in the airport terminal, but he was later released with no charges
filed against him.

The only statement Qantas made, was that a male passenger had failed to
comply with a captain's directive. Let this be a lesson to everyone; listen
to the flight attendant, and turn off your laptop when you are told to.
There may be no evidence to confirm that a laptop will interfere with flight
controls, but a 4 pound laptop can become a cabin projectile when the
aircraft touches down.

http://www.gadling.com/2008/09/04/pa...383x1200520721


  #2  
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,830
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

paddy_nyr writes:

A 35 year old "well dressed businessman" was arrested yesterday when he
refused to turn off his laptop for the final approach of his Qantas flight.
The passenger was on board flight QF418 from Melbourne to Sydney and
apparently found whatever he was doing on his laptop to be more important
than listening to flight attendant requests.

Upon landing, all passengers were told to stay seated while the Australian
counter terrorist first response force arrived, taking the man into custody.

Witnesses report seeing the man being interrogated by 6 armed police
officers in the airport terminal, but he was later released with no charges
filed against him.

The only statement Qantas made, was that a male passenger had failed to
comply with a captain's directive. Let this be a lesson to everyone; listen
to the flight attendant, and turn off your laptop when you are told to.
There may be no evidence to confirm that a laptop will interfere with flight
controls, but a 4 pound laptop can become a cabin projectile when the
aircraft touches down.


That's certainly true, but a laptop will still be a cabin projectile even when
it is turned off, unless it is also stowed properly (and how many passengers
do that?).
  #3  
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 206
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

On Sep 5, 1:17*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
paddy_nyr writes:
A 35 year old "well dressed businessman" was arrested yesterday when he
refused to turn off his laptop for the final approach of his Qantas flight.
The passenger was on board flight QF418 from Melbourne to Sydney and
apparently found whatever he was doing on his laptop to be more important
than listening to flight attendant requests.


Upon landing, all passengers were told to stay seated while the Australian
counter terrorist first response force arrived, taking the man into custody.


Witnesses report seeing the man being interrogated by 6 armed police
officers in the airport terminal, but he was later released with no charges
filed against him.


The only statement Qantas made, was that a male passenger had failed to
comply with a captain's directive. Let this be a lesson to everyone; listen
to the flight attendant, and turn off your laptop when you are told to.
There may be no evidence to confirm that a laptop will interfere with flight
controls, but a 4 pound laptop can become a cabin projectile when the
aircraft touches down.


That's certainly true, but a laptop will still be a cabin projectile even when
it is turned off, unless it is also stowed properly (and how many passengers
do that?).


I do, but of course I don't the money to buy a new laptop if mine gets
tossed and then is broken.

M. Graham
  #4  
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

paddy_nyr wrote:
A 35 year old "well dressed businessman" was arrested yesterday when he
refused to turn off his laptop for the final approach of his Qantas flight.
The passenger was on board flight QF418 from Melbourne to Sydney and
apparently found whatever he was doing on his laptop to be more important
than listening to flight attendant requests.

Upon landing, all passengers were told to stay seated while the Australian
counter terrorist first response force arrived, taking the man into custody.

Witnesses report seeing the man being interrogated by 6 armed police
officers in the airport terminal, but he was later released with no charges
filed against him.

The only statement Qantas made, was that a male passenger had failed to
comply with a captain's directive. Let this be a lesson to everyone; listen
to the flight attendant, and turn off your laptop when you are told to.
There may be no evidence to confirm that a laptop will interfere with flight
controls, but a 4 pound laptop can become a cabin projectile when the
aircraft touches down.

http://www.gadling.com/2008/09/04/pa...383x1200520721



Other than the subject of the article, I don't see an official statement
indicating there was an "arrest", only that he was question by 6 cops.

I think this was a stupid response. Why did they force passengers to
wiat for the "Australian counter terrorist first response force" to
arrive? Did they believe this was a terrorist plot?
  #5  
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 904
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

In message mrtravel wrote:

I think this was a stupid response. Why did they force passengers to
wiat for the "Australian counter terrorist first response force" to
arrive? Did they believe this was a terrorist plot?


Likely standard policy, if for no other reason then apprehending him
during general deplaning would be far more difficult.

What are you going to do, ask him to wait in his seat? That didn't work
very well when asking him to turn off his laptop.
  #6  
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel wrote:


I think this was a stupid response. Why did they force passengers to
wiat for the "Australian counter terrorist first response force" to
arrive? Did they believe this was a terrorist plot?



Likely standard policy, if for no other reason then apprehending him
during general deplaning would be far more difficult.


Yes, but I doubt the guy with the laptop really needed to be carted off
by 6 guys with assault rifles.
  #7  
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,830
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

Shawn Hirn writes:

Then he should have turned off his laptop when directed to by the cabin
crew. Problem solved.


So if it's okay for six people with assault rifles to cart him off if he
refuses, is it okay for them to shoot him? If not, why not?
  #8  
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 709
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop


"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
...
Shawn Hirn writes:

Then he should have turned off his laptop when directed to by the cabin
crew. Problem solved.


So if it's okay for six people with assault rifles to cart him off if he
refuses, is it okay for them to shoot him? If not, why not?


I think there's a rule that if you're in an airport, the Police have to kill
you with a taser.


  #9  
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,830
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

Shawn Hirn writes:

Was my previous posting not clear? We are talking about a passenger on a
commercial airline who was taken off the plane by law enforcement
personnel for failing to follow the cabin crew's orders. No one shot the
guy, so don't get so upset.


I never get upset.

My point was that the reaction was out of proportion to the "crime."
  #10  
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,653
Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Shawn Hirn writes:

Then he should have turned off his laptop when directed to by the cabin
crew. Problem solved.


So if it's okay for six people with assault rifles to cart him off if he
refuses, is it okay for them to shoot him? If not, why not?


Depends on his actions. If he is threatening with lethal force, then
they have every right to shoot his ass. There is a continuum of force
that cops are taught from the first day of the academy.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Britain turning on US- at its own peril PJ O'Donovan Europe 87 October 27th, 2006 08:39 AM
The Turning of the Year S Viemeister Europe 16 December 28th, 2005 09:59 PM
euramobil turning circle stew Europe 1 September 22nd, 2005 04:42 PM
Passenger arrested at Heathrow Mike O'sullivan Air travel 7 January 15th, 2004 11:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.