New York City tours, general advice

Old July 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JimC

Default New York City tours, general advice

I'll be in NYC 3.5 days the first week in August and would appreciate
recommendations. Interests include historical and tourist sights,
theater, concerts, etc. We will be staying in the midtown area near
34th and 8th, which is near public transit, etc. - Since I don't get to
NYC very often, it seems to me that taking a city tour would be a good
way to get oriented and get a taste of a number of areas and attractions
before setting out by subway, bus, and foot. - Does anyone have
recommendations regarding bus tours that they have enjoyed? For
example, I notice that the NY "Party Tours" has a "see it all" tour for
around $60 in which the group, AND THE GUIDE, get off the (small) bus at
eight or nine major attractions, plus going by a number of others, from
downtown to areas north of Central Park. Gray Line seems to be somewhat
more regimented. (Note that I'm not planning to restrict sightseeing to
the tour only, as opposed to using public transportation and seeing it
on my own. - Planning to do both.)

I'm reading several guide books, but had several questions:

a) I'm assuming that it would be feasible to walk the approximately 10
blocks from our hotel to the theater district. - Would this be safe at
night, after a performance? (I'll try to get a taxi but understand that
they may be difficult to get when everyone is looking for one as the
theaters let out.)

b) The subway seems to be the best option to get to the museums near
Central Park, and to other outlying areas such as the cloisters,
Brooklyn, etc. - I'm well aware of all the comments and publicity about
how safe the city is these days, but since I don't have recent
experience, I hesitate to ride the subway at at night. - Anyone with
recent experience?

c) From a search of the web, the Sunday New York Times and
the New Yorker, there doesn't seem to be much concert activity scheduled
for this period (August 3-8). - At least I don't see much going on in
Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc. (I had hoped to attend an opera,
symphony concert, or piano recital, etc.) There is a Jimmy Buffet
performance at MSG. - Anyone have any better information?

Thanks for any suggestions or corrections.

Jim
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
JimC wrote:

[...]

If it was me, I would just go out and walk, but I am not a fan of
organized tours; everyone I have been on has been a disappointment. Just
go out on your own and check out the sites that interest you.

I'm reading several guide books, but had several questions:

a) I'm assuming that it would be feasible to walk the approximately 10
blocks from our hotel to the theater district. - Would this be safe at
night, after a performance? (I'll try to get a taxi but understand that
they may be difficult to get when everyone is looking for one as the
theaters let out.)

Yup. No problem, but practice common sense behavior such as not flashing
a lot of money and/or expensive jewelry in public.

b) The subway seems to be the best option to get to the museums near
Central Park, and to other outlying areas such as the cloisters,
Brooklyn, etc. - I'm well aware of all the comments and publicity about
how safe the city is these days, but since I don't have recent
experience, I hesitate to ride the subway at at night. - Anyone with
recent experience?

The subway is fine. Get a Metro Card. You can buy a Metro Card at any
subway station.

c) From a search of the web, the Sunday New York Times and
the New Yorker, there doesn't seem to be much concert activity scheduled
for this period (August 3-8). - At least I don't see much going on in
Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc. (I had hoped to attend an opera,
symphony concert, or piano recital, etc.) There is a Jimmy Buffet
performance at MSG. - Anyone have any better information?

August is a slow time for that sort of thing because people tend to go
away on vacation, to beach areas and other areas. NYC is more alive with
entertainment in the fall and winter months, but August should be a lot
of fun too.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JimC

Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
JimC wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information. Regarding whether to take a tour or not, I'm
generally in agreement that it's more fun and more educational to set
out on your own. In this case, however, since I only have three days in
NYC and don't get there very often, I think a tour on the first day,
followed by excursions on my own, would be more efficient. Here are the
stops made by the Party Tour, in which you get off the bus to explore a
particular attraction:

NY SEE IT ALL!
NY SEE IT ALL! is New York Party Shuttle’s premier comprehensive tour.
Leaving at 8:30am, 10am, 12:30pm, and 3pm, the NY SEE IT ALL! tour will
show you everything Manhattan has to offer.

Itinerary:

Get out at all of the following stops:

Times Square
World Trade Center Site
New York Stock Exchange
Wall Street
St. Paul’s Chapel
Trinity Church
World Financial Center
Federal Hall
Madison Square Park
Flatiron Building
South Street Seaport
US Customs Building
5th Avenue
Rockefeller Center
NBC’s Today Show Set
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
Central Park
Strawberry Fields
Dakota Building
Canyon of Heroes
Also see the STATUE OF LIBERTY up close from the Staten Island Ferry.
The EMPIRE STATE BUILDING is an optional ending point, giving time to
enjoy the view from the observation deck at your own pace after the tour
(My hotel is a block or two from the ESB, so I plan to visit when
convenient and on a clear day.)

Additionally, the bus passes by the following sites:

Ellis Island
Central Park Zoo
Tiffany’s
Brooklyn Bridge
Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
Hudson River
East River
FAO Schwarz
Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
Chrysler Building
Woolworth Building
Met Life Building
Trump Tower
Plaza Hotel
City Hall
Washington Square Park
New York Public Library
Greenwich Village
SOHO/Tribeca
Macy’s
Herald Square
Uptown and Harlem

THERE IS NO WAY I could visit or see all those neighborhoods and
attractions on my own in one day's touring, much less get the same
overview of the city!! (If I were able to visit the NYC area more
frequently, it would be different of course.) Also, I find that I nearly
always learn from the guides, and fellow visitors, when on such tours.
Once oriented, I intend to go back to a number of sites for extended
visits, particular the art museums, natural history museums, and
historical areas. As mentioned, only a small part of my 3.5 days will
be spent on the tour.

Jim
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_1_]

On 7/21/2007 4:00 PM JimC exclaimed:
[...]

Check out "The Village Voice" it's a good resource for entertainment.
Not all listings are in lower Manhattan either. I forget the name, but
I believe that there is a 'hop on hop off' tour bus you can take for a
more independent way of doing the city.

If you like panoramic views from on high, "Top of The Rock" at
Rockefeller Center is the place to go. You can buy tix in advance, and
it's open for viewing until midnight. Of course there's also the Empire
State Bldg.

You can get information about the Metropolitan Museum of Art he
http://www.metmuseum.org/

This is the official NYC Visitors Guide, with an activity calandar:
http://tinyurl.com/38c6tx
or
http://home.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycg...fa24601c789a0/

Port Authority of New York & New Jersey transport information:
http://www.panynj.gov/

Either I didn't notice it or you didn't mention the location of your
hotel or its name. You only mention that it's 10 blocks away from the
theater district. Use common sense. Note the closing time posted on
stores and restaurants along the way. If most will be closed on your
return trip. Either hail or use a phone to call a cab.

There's nothing more spooky than walking down a street where everything
is closed. While crime can happen anywhere (rape in a church on 5th
Ave.) dark empty streets can be dangerous. Locals may say it's perfectly
safe. But, remember, you aren't a local and it probably will show.
Budget for a cab after the theater.

Places away from Midtown that may be of interest:

Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island - go early morning. While you can't
climb the statue, Ellis Island is a great trip. You may be able to
trace your ancestors arrive in the US.

SoHo & NoHo - Art Galleries chock a block in these neighborhoods.

Greenwich Village - In my experience more different types of cuisine
concentrated in a small area. Lots of nightlife choices...jazz, rock,
stand up comedy, broadway sing along bar mixed gay / straight crowd at
Maries Crisis. Have appetizers at any number of street cafes, sit down
to Indian on Mac Dougal St., top things off with Italian Rum Cake at
Cafe Dante on Mac Dougal.

South Street Seaport. Yeah, much of it is a tourist theme park and
shopping mall. Still there are several tall ships you can tour.

The Brooklyn Bridge - because If you have the legs for it walk across,
then walk back. Do not hurry there's much to this experience to savor.
Bring along a small walking guide book for the bridge. Wonder at its
construction at a time when there were no tall cranes.

The Bronx Zoo - while no drive through safari park, has undergone a
major upgrade and worth a visit.

The Botanical Gardens - While some say it peaks in Spring. There is
something worth seeing during any season.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

I'm not one for taking tours but, some decades ago, a co-worker
threatened me with physical repercussions if I didn't take the Circle
Line Tour. I did and can recommended it without reservation. I think
it departs from Forty-second Street at the Hudson River.

Shawn Hirn wrote:
If it was me, I would just go out and walk

You might enjoy Vignettes: Manhattan; Italy
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Vigns01.html

Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not one for taking tours but, some decades ago, a co-worker
threatened me with physical repercussions if I didn't take the Circle
Line Tour. I did and can recommended it without reservation. I think
it departs from Forty-second Street at the Hudson River.

Shawn Hirn wrote:

I'll second that , I took ut under protest during my last trip to NYC and
it was time and money well spent.

Keith

Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Iceman

On Jul 21, 4:00 pm, JimC wrote:
a) I'm assuming that it would be feasible to walk the approximately 10
blocks from our hotel to the theater district. - Would this be safe at
night, after a performance? (I'll try to get a taxi but understand that
they may be difficult to get when everyone is looking for one as the
theaters let out.)

Perfectly safe. Basically, you don't have to worry at all about
anywhere in the city during the day, or about anywhere in Manhattan
under 96th street at any hour.

If you plan to be above 96th street late at night (e.g. jazz clubs in
Harlem) or in Brooklyn late at night, most of those areas are fine,
but you should know where you are going, stick to major streets when
possible, and take a cab if you are unsure.

b) The subway seems to be the best option to get to the museums near
Central Park, and to other outlying areas such as the cloisters,
Brooklyn, etc. - I'm well aware of all the comments and publicity about
how safe the city is these days, but since I don't have recent
experience, I hesitate to ride the subway at at night. - Anyone with
recent experience?

Until around midnight there's no problem at all on the subway.

After midnight the Manhattan lines remain heavily traveled and are
safe. Some of the Brooklyn lines can get iffy after midnight - you
should ride in the middle cars since those are the most crowded.

c) From a search of the web, the Sunday New York Times and
the New Yorker, there doesn't seem to be much concert activity scheduled
for this period (August 3-8). - At least I don't see much going on in
Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc. (I had hoped to attend an opera,
symphony concert, or piano recital, etc.) There is a Jimmy Buffet
performance at MSG. - Anyone have any better information?

The arts scene does slow down in the summer, but there is still plenty
going on.

I would recommend checking the Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, and
Madison Square Garden websites directly.

BTW "New York Magazine" or "Time Out", not the "New Yorker" are the
best places to look for New York events.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:00:54 -0600, JimC
wrote:

I'll be in NYC 3.5 days the first week in August and would appreciate
recommendations. Interests include historical and tourist sights,
theater, concerts, etc.

[snip]

c) From a search of the web, the Sunday New York Times and
the New Yorker, there doesn't seem to be much concert activity scheduled
for this period (August 3-8). - At least I don't see much going on in
Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc. (I had hoped to attend an opera,
symphony concert, or piano recital, etc.) There is a Jimmy Buffet
performance at MSG. - Anyone have any better information?

Take a look at this site for events in Central Park. There are several
concerts and other events the week you'll be in New York:

http://www.summerstage.org/

These events are free.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:51:58 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

. ..

Shawn Hirn wrote:

I'll second that , I took ut under protest during my last trip to NYC and
it was time and money well spent.

Keith

I'm watching this thread with interest because I'll be
visiting NYC for three days next April.

What was the advantage of the Circle Line Tour over using
the ferries? Serious question; I like the Staten Island
Ferry - and it's free - and I also intend going over the
Roosevelt Island Tramway (if it doesn't fall down again:-)
on my next visit.

What will I see on the Circle Line Tour that makes it
better?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

wrote:

m...

Shawn Hirn wrote:

I'll second that , I took ut under protest during my last trip to NYC and
it was time and money well spent.

Keith

I'm watching this thread with interest because I'll be
visiting NYC for three days next April.

What was the advantage of the Circle Line Tour over using
the ferries? Serious question; I like the Staten Island
Ferry - and it's free - and I also intend going over the
Roosevelt Island Tramway (if it doesn't fall down again:-)
on my next visit.

What will I see on the Circle Line Tour that makes it
better?

Cheers, Alan, Australia

I am not a fan of the circle line, it takes hours and covers much
territory that is of little interest, there was a half tour out of the
south street seaport, you'll have to see if it still operating, that
is the one to do.
google circle line maybe they have more info

I've done the complete circle line once and loved it. But then again, it
was a charter with a conference and there was the bar and....