Packing

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Norman Perlmutter

Default Packing

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:51:15 +0200, "www.tjerkstravels.tk"
wrote:

Hi guys,

As I was reading the rolling clothes topic I started wondering about some
other packing issues. Any tips?

Inside your backpack, is it smart to pack clothes in plastic bags ? or are
there getter options?
How do you guys carry along your toiletries?

just currious

TJ

Take a look at www.tjerkstravels.tk and follow my preperations!

I used ziploc bags for just about everything and found them to be very
useful. They help you save a little space if you squeeze the air out,
and they are good for organizing things and can indeed keep things
from getting wet. I organized my toiletries in small ziploc bags and
then put all the small bags into one big bag.

Do bring plenty of extra bags, though, because they will wear out
after a while, but it's fine because they pack very small; you can
roll up a bunch and shove them in the back of your pack.

Norman
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM
mhicaoidh

I didn't see the original post, so my apologies in advance for piggy
backing ...

| On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:51:15 +0200, "www.tjerkstravels.tk"
| wrote:
|
|| Inside your backpack, is it smart to pack clothes in plastic bags ? or
|| are there getter options?
|| How do you guys carry along your toiletries?

I go a slightly (understatement) more expensive route. I purchased
several differently sized Hydroseal stuff sacks. I got several sizes and
colours as well. This has several advantages, first everything is pretty
much going to stay dry (unless you fall into a Loch); and, the different
sizes and colours allow you to compartmentalize your pack, and colour code
your items.

For example, related to your specific question, my toiletries are in a
300 cu/in red stuff sack. So, I always know at a glance where they are.

Granted it wasn't the cheapest route, but if you can bite the bullet the
first time, it was pay dividends on all your future trips. For the more
budgeted approach, you could use heavy duty refuse bags and/or large
resealable kitchen-type bags.

Old November 18th, 2003, 05:57 AM
SportChick

We did something similar. We used mesh stuff sacks for most of our clothes.
We were gone for a year. Shirts/tops in one sack. Bottoms/pants, etc. in
another. Underwear, swimsuits, etc. in another. A separate (shared)
water-proof bag for toiletries. We had another bag for medicines/first aid
items. Then, of course, we had miscellaneous items that weren't in a stuff
sack. It really helped to organize our packs and made packing easier!