London hotel advice

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:35 PM
JohnT

Default London hotel advice

"Darby Jo" wrote in message
My cousin and I are taking our 60-some-year-old mothers to London
in May 2004. I'd appreciate your comments to help choose a hotel.
None of us have been there before.

This is what my cousin says:
"I've narrowed it down to two hotels with different advantages.
Both hotels are 4-star, with lifts, laundry services, hairdryers
in each room and serves a continental breakfast. Both have been
renovated in the last 5 years and seem charming. Both have
received good reviews.

London Bridge Hotel: $158/night ($79/person, incl tax)
This is located near "The City" (financial district) and is
pretty central. It's a larger hotel with 138 rooms. There is a
tube stop and even a rail station right across the street so we
wouldn't have to take a taxi at all. It's near the Thames River
and is central to several sites. Since it is near the city, it
shuts down more at night than other areas would.

Mayflower Hotel: $111/night ($56/person, incl tax)
This is located in Earl's Court, which is more of a blue-collar
neighborhood but safe. The tube stop is approx 2/3 mile (10
minute walk) from the hotel. The hotel itself has 38 rooms and is
converted from a townhouse (those houses all in a row). This is
located near Hyde Park and only one tube stop away from
Kensington. If we don't want to walk from the tube, we can always
take a taxi, but then we need to figure that cost into the hotel
price too."

Any other suggestions are welcome, too, although I don't want to
confuse the issue too much! I think she's looking for hotels with
some character as opposed to standard universal-type rooms found
in major hotels around the world. We'd like to make a decision
soon so we can make a reservation.

Thanks.

Darby Jo

I have never stayed at either hotel but the London Bridge hotel looks as
if it is fairly anonymous. Yes, in the City but there are lots of areas
which are more accessible to the main tourist attractions. The area
round the Mayflower hotel isn't "blue-collar/working class" and is to
the West of Central London. Within your budget I think you could do much
better than either of those. A very Central hotel which has been spoken
well of in this ng is the Travel Inn, which is just next to the London
Eye. Look at http://www.travelinn.co.uk/TI/index.jsp?page=inn&id=128

JohnT