train travel question in austria & switzerland

Old April 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default train travel question in austria & switzerland

Hi all,
A question to train travel in Switzerland & Austria.... Lets say I
purchase a ticket from Innsbruck to Vienna, can I stopover at Salzburg
for a few days before continuing on to Vienna with the same ticket? Is
this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Thanks in advance.

Old April 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Bennetts

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
A question to train travel in Switzerland & Austria.... Lets say I
purchase a ticket from Innsbruck to Vienna, can I stopover at Salzburg
for a few days before continuing on to Vienna with the same ticket? Is
this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Thanks in advance.

Would doubt you could do that on single tickets. I believe you would have
to continue your journey on the same day, or buy separate tickets for each
leg of the journey. Suggest you post your question to
misc.transport.rail.europe newsgroup for a more definite answer.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old April 30th, 2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 30, 11:06 am, "David Bennetts"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,
A question to train travel in Switzerland & Austria.... Lets say I
purchase a ticket from Innsbruck to Vienna, can I stopover at Salzburg
for a few days before continuing on to Vienna with the same ticket? Is
this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Thanks in advance.

Would doubt you could do that on single tickets. I believe you would have
to continue your journey on the same day, or buy separate tickets for each
leg of the journey. Suggest you post your question to
misc.transport.rail.europe newsgroup for a more definite answer.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Hi David,
Thks for your advice. I''ll put up another post on
misc.transport.rail.europe.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mr lim

On 30 Apr, 09:00, "Helmut Uttenthaler"
Hi all,
A question to train travel in Switzerland & Austria.... Lets say I
purchase a ticket from Innsbruck to Vienna, can I stopover at Salzburg
for a few days before continuing on to Vienna with the same ticket?

Yes. Austrian domestic tickets for a distance over 100 km are valid one month,
you can make as much intermediate stops as you want.

Is
this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Unfortunately I don't know the exact rules for Swiss tickets.

BTW: International tickets are usually valid 2 months and also allow stops.

There is little to gain as tickets sold in both countries are based on
km distance
so two tickets are going to be more or less the same as one through
ticket.
www.sbb.ch or www.obb.at to check out prices

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mr lim

this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Zurich to Interlaken ticket would not probably route you through
Luzern , unless specially reqested .

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Helmut Uttenthaler

mr lim wrote:

There is little to gain as tickets sold in both countries are based on
km distance

That's true...

so two tickets are going to be more or less the same as one through
ticket.

....but the prices are degressive, so two tickets for 200 km cost more than one
ticket for 400 km. In Austria a domestic ticket for 200 km costs 28 EUR, whereas
a ticket for 400 km costs 45,4 EUR, which is cheaper than 2*28 = 56 EUR.

So you loose money, if you buy seperate tickets.

However, you usually won't loose money on international trips if you buy
seperate tickets from/till border, as at the border the kilometric fare
calculation starts from the beginning and the two sections in the two countries
are just added. It's often even cheaper to buy seperate tickets, as domestic
fare is often cheaper than international fare (not in Switzerland, but in
Austria and many other countries). However, the domestic fares are only availabe
if you buy the ticket in the respective country and some railways (for example
Hungarian railways) don't allow using cheap domestic tickets for parts of an
international trip...

Helmut

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"mr lim" skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...

this true in Switzerland too, lets say travel from Zurich to
Interlaken and I stop by Luzern for a couple of days?

Zurich to Interlaken ticket would not probably route you through
Luzern , unless specially reqested .

Over Luzerne and the narrow gauge is the shortest route, it's less expensive
(45CHF vs 61CHF over Olten-Bern) takes a little longer time (about 40min
longer) and is a much more interesting and scenic route. You're likely
to be asked about the preferred route when booking.