If you know you are on an overbooked flight?

Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
A R Pickett

Default If you know you are on an overbooked flight?

In other words, not able to get a seat assignment, and checking the flight
on the airline's website does, indeed, show all seats assigned -

What is your best approach to actually be able to board and fly to your
destination on the scheduled flight you bought a ticket for?

TIA for any assistance

A R Pickett

Remover lower case "e" to respond

Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

What is your best approach to actually be able to board and fly to your
destination on the scheduled flight you bought a ticket for?

Show up early so in the unlikely event that there's a waiting list,
you're at the top of it.

A seat map that shows no available seats doesn't necessarily mean that
the flight is oversold. For some reason, they often hold back seats
for same day assignment. On flights that are oversold, usually
there's enough no-shows that everyone gets a seat. (That's the point
of overbooking, after all.) If a flight actually is oversold, they
ask for volunteers and usually get them before denying boarding to
anyone.

In all the years I've been flying, only once have I been denied
boarding. It was a very unusual situation -- we were flying out of
Binghamton NY on a small jet headed south on the first day of school
winter vacation. Every school in NY has the same week off, so every
seat in the state was sold out. We showed up 45 minutes ahead, which
is pretty early for BGM, and found that the three of us were numbers
49, 50, and 51 in a 50 seat plane. Oops.

The other two went ahead, I ended up taking a taxi to Scranton where
there were seats because Pennsylvania's vacation was the following
week.

By the way, if you're denied boarding, demand the $200 as cash or
check, not a flight voucher. Vouchers are for volunteers.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

"A R Pickett" wrote in message
et...
In other words, not able to get a seat assignment, and checking the flight
on the airline's website does, indeed, show all seats assigned -

What is your best approach to actually be able to board and fly to your
destination on the scheduled flight you bought a ticket for?

TIA for any assistance

A R Pickett

Remover lower case "e" to respond

most airlines do not open all seats for advance seat selection and not being
able to select a seat does not necessarily mean the flight is oversold.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article , (John L) wrote:

[...]

Same here. I wouldn't say I am a frequent flyer, but I make an average
of three trips by air per year for the past 30 years or so and I have
never been denied passage on a flight except on three that were canceled
entirely, and that includes a few flights where I literally showed up as
the flight attendant was closing the aircraft's door.