EasyJet isn't yet the best budget airline

Old January 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dusty Furtile Morrocan

Default EasyJet isn't yet the best budget airline

On the particular moment of Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:08:12 -0000 in relation
to Mary's disappointingly immaculate rumpy pumpy, "Gerald Oliver
Swift" put forth:

"grusl" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:35 am, Dusty Furtile Morrocan
wrote:
JUST GOT BACK FROM MOROCCO!!!! JOY!!! I'll write a trip report if
anyone actually visits these groups anymore, and would read it.

Please do. There are plenty of people visiting these groups. I see
lots of new names, too.

And I want to know the fate of the bag!

From the EasyJet website:

"Bag 1 Status TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER"

Not really confidence inspiring.

The paperwork I got is kinda farcical. It says that if my bag is still
lost after 5 days, they will continue searching for 30 more days.
Perhaps they are hoping I will just forget about it.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
MC

"Dusty Furtile Morrocan" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
JUST GOT BACK FROM MOROCCO!!!! JOY!!! I'll write a trip report if
anyone actually visits these groups anymore, and would read it.

Please do. There are plenty of people visiting these groups. I see
lots of new names, too.

And I want to know the fate of the bag!

From the EasyJet website:

"Bag 1 Status TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER"

Not really confidence inspiring.

The paperwork I got is kinda farcical. It says that if my bag is still
lost after 5 days, they will continue searching for 30 more days.
Perhaps they are hoping I will just forget about it.
--

Have you got/did you have travel insurance?

MC

Old January 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe, rec.travel.air
[email protected]

wrote:
JUST GOT BACK FROM MOROCCO!!!! JOY!!! I'll write a trip report if
anyone actually visits these groups anymore, and would read it.

Please do. There are plenty of people visiting these groups. I see
lots of new names, too.

And I want to know the fate of the bag!

From the EasyJet website:

"Bag 1 Status * * *TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER"

Not really confidence inspiring.

This is totally normal.

The paperwork I got is kinda farcical. It says that if my bag is still
lost after 5 days, they will continue searching for 30 more days.
Perhaps they are hoping I will just forget about it.

No. They have to put a time limit when it stops being 'delayed' and is
officially 'lost'.

If it is 'delayed' you aren't entitled to any compensation (as it was
your return journey). If it is lost you should be entitled to some
compensation, though almost certainly not for a camera. You may need
to provide receipts for all your items of clothing.

You did keep the receipts, didn't you..?

---

Old January 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
tim.....

wrote in message
On 6 Jan, 13:59, Dusty Furtile Morrocan

If it is 'delayed' you aren't entitled to any compensation (as it was
your return journey). If it is lost you should be entitled to some
compensation, though almost certainly not for a camera.

I don't agree. The statutory compensation scheme does not dictate that you
cannot put valuables in the luggage. It is not insurance.

You may need
to provide receipts for all your items of clothing.

I very much doubt that any airline would expect receipts for clothing.
Expecting someone to keep these is utterly ridiculous.

tim

Old January 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dusty Furtile Morrocan

On the particular moment of Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:03:59 -0800 (PST) in
relation to Mary's disappointingly immaculate rumpy pumpy,
put forth:

On 6 Jan, 13:59, Dusty Furtile Morrocan
wrote:

From the EasyJet website:

"Bag 1 Status * * *TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER"

Not really confidence inspiring.

This is totally normal.

No surprise.

The paperwork I got is kinda farcical. It says that if my bag is still
lost after 5 days, they will continue searching for 30 more days.
Perhaps they are hoping I will just forget about it.

No. They have to put a time limit when it stops being 'delayed' and is
officially 'lost'.

If it is 'delayed' you aren't entitled to any compensation (as it was
your return journey). If it is lost you should be entitled to some
compensation, though almost certainly not for a camera. You may need
to provide receipts for all your items of clothing.

I have receipts for most everything. If I get nothing out of this, it
won't be a great loss. The biggest lost would be my six pairs of
Explorer socks from Oz. They are not easily replaced in Europe.

You did keep the receipts, didn't you..?

Yes, I always keep, and in this case kept all paperwork. I have enough
experience to not throw away any piece of paper, unless I'm sure the
deal is long done and finished.
--
---
DFM -
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe, rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 6 Jan, 20:02, "tim....." wrote:
wrote in message

On 6 Jan, 13:59, Dusty Furtile Morrocan

If it is 'delayed' you aren't entitled to any compensation (as it was
your return journey). *If it is lost you should be entitled to some
compensation, though almost certainly not for a camera.

I don't agree. *The statutory compensation scheme does not dictate that you
cannot put valuables in the luggage. *It is not insurance.

It is in the airlines T&C not to check-in such items (and doubtless
disclaiming any liability if you do).

I am not up to speed on the Montreal Convention, but AFAIR statutory
compensation used to go by weight and clothes don't weigh a whole
lot.... I wouldn't expect the small claims court to make a ruling on
the convention.

It is a bit like claiming your taxes back if you cancel a non-
refundable ticket. Legally the taxes don't belong to the airline, but
of course we know the airlines make an 'administration charge' to
refund them. This way they effectively get to keep what isn't legally
their property.

You may need
to provide receipts for all your items of clothing.

I very much doubt that any airline would expect receipts for clothing.
Expecting someone to keep these is utterly ridiculous.

Yes, that's what I said.

tim

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
poldy

In article ,
James Robinson wrote:

VainGlorious wrote:

I have a rule about checked bags. They only contain clothes and
toiletries. Period. If they are lost on the way to my destination,
then I view it as an opportunity to buy stylish new duds at my exotic
locale. If my bag is lost on the way back home, that means there's a
load of laundry I don't have to do. Either way, it's no big loss.

That's a nice rule, until you run into an airline or country that severely
restricts the weight of carry-on luggage, and you can't get all you toys
into the cabin and remain under the limit. You end up having to check
something you don't want to.

Yup, that's my problem.

I can fit everything into a carry-on roller but then it's too heavy and
AF has forced me to check the carry-on, which has laptop, camera and
other valuables.

I could try taking on two pieces -- have a laptop bag which can be
considered "personal bag" which some airlines don't count as your
carryon.

But then the LCC like BMI will stop that.

In business class, AF and most other airlines will up your carry-on
limits including weight.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Makhno

Does anybody know where all these lost bags actually go?
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
VainGlorious

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 05:18:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On 6 Jan, 04:01, VainGlorious wrote:

I have a rule about checked bags. They only contain clothes and
toiletries. Period. If they are lost on the way to my destination,
then I view it as an opportunity to buy stylish new duds at my exotic
locale. If my bag is lost on the way back home, that means there's a
load of laundry I don't have to do. Either way, it's no big loss.

Only if your idea of a 'holiday' is trawling around shops trying to
find clothes to fit, not to mention the palavar of reporting the bag
missing and chasing up the bag and any claim later on.

Actually, I enjoy shopping for clothes overseas and I enjoy bringing
them home. My new pair of bleached white American-style trainers from
Italy (Valsport) cause quite a stir at the office. They are
chavtastic!

On my last trip, SAS lost my bag enroute to Wien. It took about 24
hours to get it delivered*. If it had taken longer, I'd have bought a
cheap bag and loaded up on European fashions. To hell with my khaki
travel pants and sensible wrinkle-free shirts. Who cares? Alas, my bag
did arrive, so I just picked up a few shirts and the aforementioned
shoes.

(Don't get me wrong: I don't HOPE my bags are lost. I just don't
consider checked bags irreplaceable. )

My point is this: you should consider checked baggage expendable.
It's awful to say it, but it's true. The airlines have gotten THAT
BAD. If you can't fit indispensable items in a carry-on, then ship
them ahead of time with a reputable shipper. I do this routinely for
business travel and I would do it for leisure travel should the
necessity arise.

And if you are travelling to work you are likely losing valuable time
(at least your customer and your boss are).

With business travel of just a few days, I use a carry-on for my
laptop and necessary clothes. If you are conservative about it, you
will be fine. Granted, my business travel is US domestic and US
airlines are fairly liberal about people toting gigantic carry-on's.
Things may be tougher in Europe. Nonetheless, if your business trip is
mission-critical, then ship your necessities ahead of your departure.
That, or show up to the joint venture symposium naked. Who knows? If
you do plenty of sit-ups, people might not mind at all!

- TR
- setting myself up for a really disturbing dream.

* In the SAS Lost Bags room at VIE, I filled out my lost baggage
claim. I gave them the address I was staying at. The guy taking my
claim mentioned that he lived just two doors down from the flat on the
same street. "Well, great," I said jokingly. "Why don't you just bring
me my bag on your way home?" This created uproarious laughter among
the supposedly humorless SAS staff. "Of course we cannot do that, sir!
We cannot leave this airport with people's bags!" I knew that, and I
was only joking, but a little part of me hoped it was true...

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Makhno" wrote in message
Does anybody know where all these lost bags actually go?

They go to a store in Alabama. Check out their website;

http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/