Railroad tickets for Germany-Czech-Austria

Old March 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM

Default Railroad tickets for Germany-Czech-Austria

I have a couple of questions about booking railroad tickets in Central
Europe:

1. Where I can book tickets for Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Vienna ?

2. I am trying to book Munich - Prague tickets online from
www.bahn.de. Is it guaranteed that all the persons will end up in the
same couchette, with no strangers ? And how to figure out if it will
be a couchette or berth car in the first place ?
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM
billfrogg

In article ,
wrote:

I have a couple of questions about booking railroad tickets in Central
Europe:

1. Where I can book tickets for Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Vienna ?

2. I am trying to book Munich - Prague tickets online from
www.bahn.de. Is it guaranteed that all the persons will end up in the
same couchette, with no strangers ? And how to figure out if it will
be a couchette or berth car in the first place ?

You need a Travel Agent...who knows the ropes of group bookings. He/She
will be able to sort out the couchette vs. compartment and how many
people will fit and should it be first class...(believe me, it should
be first class)Maybe an agent will even SAVE you money. I always book
through an agent for all but the simplest trips.
billfrogg
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM
RSL

Your competent local travel agent you have one, can tell you. Learn the
difference between Schlafwagen and Liegewagen, first.

You will need a taxi from the Cesky Krumlov station to your hotel, so have
local currency in your pocket.
Some taxi drivers are unconscionable gougers, so have some idea of what you
want to pay in advance and get the driver's concurrence. If possible, keep
all your luggage inside the taxi with you, presuming that you are
foresightful enough to travel so lightly that you can carry everything with
your own two arms. Get out of the taxi with all of your stuff in hand, and
refuse to pay him more than you have agreed upon.
om...

Old March 28th, 2004, 07:46 AM
RSL

Even during quite a few trips when we held "first class" Eurailpasses I
used the Liegewagen class rather than the Schlafwagen class, because the
difference in cost is significant. I quite agree that for all but very
experienced travelers, it is very wise to use a good travel agent. But I
don't agree that "it should be first class" unless cost is not of concern.

Old March 28th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Miernik

RSL wrote:
You will need a taxi from the Cesky Krumlov station to your hotel, so have
local currency in your pocket.

"you will need"...
Don't people have legs to walk?
Or aren't there buses in Prague?

--
Miernik ________________________
___________________/__ tel: +48888299997 __/
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM
billfrogg

The use of first class sleeping car reservations protects me from the
burps, farts, and drunken mutterings of all the rest of the occupants
of the compartment. Did the couchette route once. Enough. Though I must
own up to stentorian snoring on my part. In a first class single I only
wake myself
billfrogg

In article , RSL
wrote:

Even during quite a few trips when we held "first class" Eurailpasses I
used the Liegewagen class rather than the Schlafwagen class, because the
difference in cost is significant. I quite agree that for all but very
experienced travelers, it is very wise to use a good travel agent. But I
don't agree that "it should be first class" unless cost is not of concern.

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Lennart Petersen

"billfrogg" skrev i meddelandet
The use of first class sleeping car reservations protects me from the
burps, farts, and drunken mutterings of all the rest of the occupants
of the compartment. Did the couchette route once. Enough. Though I must
own up to stentorian snoring on my part. In a first class single I only
wake myself
billfrogg

You can't imagine that the different price makes sense for many ?
Or is it the traditional "while in doubt stay at Ritz ?"

Old March 31st, 2004, 07:47 PM

You need a Travel Agent...who knows the ropes of group bookings. He/She
will be able to sort out the couchette vs. compartment and how many
people will fit and should it be first class

Does anybody have a suggestion for a Travel Agent (in Austria, or
Germany, I guess) who could do this ? I contacted several TAs in
Vienna, but none of them seems to be in the business of booking train
tickets...

I used to buy train tickets thru local American Express offices, but
it does not seem to work for Germany-Czech-Austria itinerary: they
quote some exorbitant prices (110E/person), which is 2.5-3 times more
than www.bahn.de quotes.