Ryanair ripoff

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Ryanair ripoff

Markku Grönroos wrote:

"Tom P" kirjoitti
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60¤, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.

You totally paid almost four times the total fare. I am totally puzzled.

That only puzzles the dumb. The 'fare' is frequently the smallest part
of the total cost. It's just a euphemism, but even many non-budgets do
this now. Personally, I just think of the total cost. Given how quick
the tranaction is online, this is not hard...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:06:15 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:38:15 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

[]
Not when you're booking the ticket- that is what the OP has claimed. It
is clear before you buy the ticket. I just did it!

I guess the way to proceed is to object to the credit card company that a
charge has been added without Tom's specific authorisation.

Which is sort of what I suggested in the first post... assuming that's
what happened.

BTW, many budget airlines do this- i.e. put in the fee at the last
minute.

Yeah but the EU said that this must stop.
The total fare has to be on page one.

It has stopped. The total _minimum_ fare is placed on page one.

If you're an EU/EEA citizen, have a visa electron, and plan on checking
in online with no luggage....

Ironically, Ryanair while having a laugh at the law, is closer to it
than some other airlines, many of which have no way of paying for the
ticket for free.

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:18:02 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

[]
Ironically, Ryanair while having a laugh at the law, is closer to it
than some other airlines, many of which have no way of paying for the
ticket for free.

As a matter of principle I don't use Amsterdam (Maastricht) or Amsterdam
(Charleroi) )

Oddly, while Ryanair usually fly from nowhere to nowhere, my recent
trips with them have all been from where I was leaving (Manchester or
Liverpool) to where I was going- Madrid, Dublin, Riga, Marseilles,
Alghero, _Treviso_!

Weeze is definitely the exception for recent trips...

Have you tried Air Berlin? They seem to be cheap.

I'll try any carrier if they're cheap!

They've never suited me on routes from Manchester when I've tried them.
For instance, the early March trip to Bonn- similarly 'easy' from either
Paderborn or Weeze, but Air Berlin is 108 euro, Ryanair 32...

And cheaper from Weeze to travel to Bonn...

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:07:31 +0100, Tom P wrote:
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC
*******231.60 EUR Total Paid
30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

Didn't you look at the fees and total before accepting the charge?

I'm used to seeing bogus fees at some booking sites. I simply close the
browser window containing the transaction and move on.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Tom P" wrote in message
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

Yes. But look on the bright side:- 77.20 EUR for a flight to anywhere
these days is pretty good value

Gerry

Old January 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
wwwinner

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:07:31 +0100, Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.

As a frequent Ryanair flyer I pay with Visa Electron (no fees!)
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wwwinner wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:07:31 +0100, Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60•, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.

As a frequent Ryanair flyer I pay with Visa Electron (no fees!)

Now you mention it, not a bad idea!

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"Tom P" wrote in message
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

I count on a Ryanair return trip from UK to Europe costing £50 (or £75 if
checking baggage), plus whatever the 'fare' is.

Then you don't get so many surprises.

(This includes a credit card fee of £8 (£4 per leg). Probably this is also
charged per passenger, which is a bit of a swindle as it is after all a
single transaction, and a debit card fee would not be that much. But that's
how Ryanair work)

--
Bartc

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:20:32 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

wwwinner wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:07:31 +0100, Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60•, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.

As a frequent Ryanair flyer I pay with Visa Electron (no fees!)

Now you mention it, not a bad idea!

Is the equivalent fare in Euros calculated using exchange rates of
1-1-2008 like some ferry fares still are?

I imagine that if there's a way for its calculation to benefit Ryanair,
then it will!

One thing to add to the mix- luggage charges add up. Not a problem for
most people going on a short trip, but on my last trip to Bergen, I had
two hold bags which I had to take. If Ryanair did actually fly non-stop
from NW England to Bergen, it would have cost almost £80 for the
privilege.

I understand that most US airlines now charge for domestic check-in
bags.

I think the consumer just has to be savvy to all the intricate pros and
cons in airline charges...