London Looks Like A Deal These Days!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.budget,rec.travel.europe,memphis.general,tn.general
hackamore

Default London Looks Like A Deal These Days!

Hi,

with the exchange rate to the pound going the way it is London is
looking like a good deal for the first time in YEARS.

bargains abound on rail/hotel packages...

or you can cash in some of those FF miles for some tickets and get a
hotel from a discounter.

British Museum is FREE as are a lot of the historic sites.

I'm fond of Indian food myself and London has tons of good Indian type
restaurants.

The tube and buses make it easy to get around.

Spring Break maybe?

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.budget,rec.travel.europe,memphis.general,tn.general
William Black

"hackamore" wrote in message

British Museum is FREE as are a lot of the historic sites.

I think that now all the big museums operated by the government in the UK
are free to enter.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.budget,rec.travel.europe
hackamore

Mike wrote:
hackamore wrote:

I'm fond of Indian food myself and London has tons of good Indian type
restaurants.

and of nearly every other type including modern British which
Americans under estimate, and now you can afford to go in!

Hi,

High End British food is underrated... but I can find very similar
styles at home... whereas I can only find pale imitations of the indian
foods I find in London.

I've always found London an odd place to visit...

airfare has traditionally been cheap...

but hotels were no bargain...

food and drink have always been a good value.

entertainment/museums/etc from free to reasonable.

I've never found a hotel that really did it for me though... something
was always lacking... always something... price often really high for
what you got for a room... what often passes for an english breakfast
these days just doesn't do it for me... or location...

give me a clean room, decent bath/shower, with a lift, and something
close to the tube and a couple of good pubs... at a good price :-}

I can do this in Paris, Munich, Florence, Amsterdam.....

why not London?

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.budget,rec.travel.europe,memphis.general,tn.general
hackamore

William Black wrote:

"hackamore" wrote in message

British Museum is FREE as are a lot of the historic sites.

I think that now all the big museums operated by the government in the
UK are free to enter.

Hi,

the British Museum is one of the great bargains and something not to be
missed... I've only been twice for a day each... I think I've still got
a lifetime of visiting before I see it all.

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.budget,rec.travel.europe
William Black

"hackamore" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
hackamore wrote:

I'm fond of Indian food myself and London has tons of good Indian type
restaurants.

and of nearly every other type including modern British which
Americans under estimate, and now you can afford to go in!

Hi,

High End British food is underrated... but I can find very similar styles
at home... whereas I can only find pale imitations of the indian foods I
find in London.

You should try India then.

I find the English version of Indian food rather bland and tasteless these
days.

I've never found a hotel that really did it for me though... something was
always lacking... always something... price often really high for what you
got for a room... what often passes for an english breakfast these days
just doesn't do it for me... or location...

give me a clean room, decent bath/shower, with a lift, and something close
to the tube and a couple of good pubs... at a good price :-}

I can do this in Paris, Munich, Florence, Amsterdam.....

why not London?

Because London is not really designed around tourists.

It is both the capital and the major business centre.

It isn't particularly tourist friendly

Try going to Leeds/York and wandering around the museums there.

It's a lot cheaper, a lot cleaner and the people are friendlier.

--
William Black

Time for tea.