Digital photography, changing the world

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:49:48 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

A bit late by then isn't it.

That depends on the circumstances.

No, just let the camera reset the balance, or do it yourself.

Resetting the balance has no effect on the response of the sensor.

It has a very similar effect. So for most practical purposes it does.
For general photography, yours included going by your photos, it's what the
final photo looks like that matters, regardless of how it got there. It's
the aesthetic result that people are after.
--
Tim C.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:34:17 +0100, nitram wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

A bit late by then isn't it.

That depends on the circumstances.

No, just let the camera reset the balance, or do it yourself.

Resetting the balance has no effect on the response of the sensor.

It has a very similar effect. So for most practical purposes it does.
For general photography, yours included going by your photos, it's what the
final photo looks like that matters, regardless of how it got there. It's
the aesthetic result that people are after.

and not a stupid argument? :-)

There is that, of course. :-)

--
Tim C.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Mxsmanic

Tim Challenger writes:

It has a very similar effect.

Only superficially. It greatly increases noise.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
The Reids

Following up to Mxsmanic

It has a very similar effect.

Only superficially. It greatly increases noise.

If you had said that 1000 posts ago somebody might have cared
enough to discuss it, but at 1000 posts a "fact" I cant be arsed.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Mxsmanic

The Reids writes:

If you had said that 1000 posts ago somebody might have cared
enough to discuss it, but at 1000 posts a "fact" I cant be arsed.

If you weren't interested, you wouldn't be replying to me.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Mxsmanic

Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
The Reids

Following up to Mxsmanic

If you had said that 1000 posts ago somebody might have cared
enough to discuss it, but at 1000 posts a "fact" I cant be arsed.

If you weren't interested, you wouldn't be replying to me.

I'm "interested" in clarifying how to communicate, for when you
next go through the old routine.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:14:08 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

The Reids writes:

If you had said that 1000 posts ago somebody might have cared
enough to discuss it, but at 1000 posts a "fact" I cant be arsed.

If you weren't interested, you wouldn't be replying to me.

Some people do it out of habit. What's your excuse?
--
Tim C.
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:24 AM

On 2004-11-20 22:50:37 +0100, Go Fig said:

In article , Jeremy Henderson

On 2004-11-20 22:17:58 +0100, Go Fig said:

I wonder what the results will be with my new Sony that I will be
getting shortly, it that has: RAW (no compression), whatever that

turns
out to be... I kinda think I'm still going to need to convert it

to a
jpeg for processing...

You will indeed. Plus, iPhoto won't handle RAW files, so you'll

need to
rethink your cataloguing strategy.

If the format has a market, iPhoto could incorporate the format.

Maybe, but it's quite complicated.

iPhoto as of today supports RAW and mpeg too.

Info can be found at the streaming Keynote, it is at 00:33:00

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

jay
Tue Jan 11, 2005

Consider that the JPGs that you get
out of a digital camera are the result of a bunch of processes
including physical and digital filters. The RAW files are just what

is
recorded by the sensor, before any subsequent processing takes place,

so what state it is in depends on the camera, and the format will be
dependent on the whims of the manufacturer. Since iPhoto is a sort of

mass-market product, the value of trying to keep track of individual
camera formats may not be worth it, and the results obtained by the
casual photographer using such formats may be disappointing.

J;
--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG