Advice on driving Addelaide to Perth

Old January 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Geoff Lowry

Default Advice on driving Addelaide to Perth

I would like to drive from Adelaide to Perth for a holiday as I have never
seen this area of Australia.
If anyone has advice on the best time of the year to undertake this trip,
from a scenery and comfort point of view, I would certainly be most
appreciative.
Any other advice on stopovers, must see places, etc. would also be well
received.

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Geodyne

"Geoff Lowry" wrote in
:

I would like to drive from Adelaide to Perth for a holiday as I have
never seen this area of Australia.
If anyone has advice on the best time of the year to undertake this
trip, from a scenery and comfort point of view, I would certainly be
most appreciative.
Any other advice on stopovers, must see places, etc. would also be
well received.

Great resource he

http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/

There's also a lot in the archives of this group. Don't let anyone tell
you the nullarbor is boring - I drove it in August and had a fabulous
time, despite a lot of rain.

As for timing, winter and spring likely to often be cold, windy and wet
and summer can be hot. Best to go for April-May or October-November.

If you're into birds, I highly recommend the Eyre Bird Observatory, but
only if you have a 4WD.

Geodyne

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Geodyne

"Geoff Lowry" wrote in
:

I would like to drive from Adelaide to Perth for a holiday as I have
never seen this area of Australia.
If anyone has advice on the best time of the year to undertake this
trip, from a scenery and comfort point of view, I would certainly be
most appreciative.
Any other advice on stopovers, must see places, etc. would also be
well received.

Another thing - my most recommended place for a stopover on the Nullarbor
itself is Madura. Lovely spot.

Geodyne

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Geoff Lowry" wrote in message
I would like to drive from Adelaide to Perth for a holiday as I have never
seen this area of Australia.
If anyone has advice on the best time of the year to undertake this trip,
from a scenery and comfort point of view, I would certainly be most
appreciative.
Any other advice on stopovers, must see places, etc. would also be well
received.

I wouyld travel around September (although I have done the Nullarbor 3 times
each way in summer and foud the heat bearable - with airconditioned car).
You will then see the wildflowers and still have a relatively good chance of
having fine weather.
Here is part of a reply I made to someone quite some time ago (I found it
again using Google Groups search function). LOts of stuff to be fopund that
way!
If you are coming into WA from South Australia by road I would turn left
(southwards) at Norseman and spend a few days in Esperance (beautiful
beaches esp. Cape Le Grande Nat Park). Then westwards to
Albany (beaches and coastal scenery)
Denmark (beaches - incl William Bay), (Peaceful Bay and Conspicuous Cliff)
Walpole (treetop walk in Valley of the Giants)
Pemberton (Karri forests and lookout tree climbs)
Augusta (where Indian Ocean meets Southern Ocean)
Margaret River (coastal scenery, caves, wineries, eyc. spend a week in

this
area at least)
Busselton (beaches)
Mandurah (pretty town on estuary mouth)
Perth (what more need I say)

Have a good trip.
Gerrit - who is currently planning to go east acccross the Nularbor during
April

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Geodyne

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in
:

I wouyld travel around September (although I have done the Nullarbor 3
times each way in summer and foud the heat bearable - with
airconditioned car). You will then see the wildflowers and still have
a relatively good chance of having fine weather.

Normally I would say that as well, but September this year was extremely
wet and windy. We enjoyed the dramatic photo opportunities that the weather
provided us, but want to do it again when there's more sun and less
squalls.

Geodyne
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Jack

"Geoff Lowry" wrote in message
I would like to drive from Adelaide to Perth ....

Good on you for recognising that the nullabor has tourist opportunities.

It has been a long time since I drove over, but remember thinking next time
I could easily spend a week or more between ceduna and Coolgardie (not
including those towns.)

Think about the bird observatory, Cactus beach (SA) also nearby Fowlers Bay
where Eyre set off on his trip westward. Head of the Bight, Cocklbiddy
caves - also don't just look for the established stuff - If you ca get off
the road and leave your car somewhere safe, there are some great coastal
walks twards the WA border - fanstasic unspoilt beaches etc.

Into fishing? even a short rod can provide some fun in unspoilt waters.

Take plenty of water - used to be very expensive to buy my last trip (long
time ago - so that may have changed.)

Ideal trip for those with a sense of adventure!