Do Not Rent From Dollar Rent A Car After Your Cruise

Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:17 PM
Dan

Default Do Not Rent From Dollar Rent A Car After Your Cruise

Do not rent from Dollar Rent A Car after your cruise in Miami. You will
either fight your way to board
the bus or wait a long time. You risk getting hurt fighting your way to
board or lose your luggages or have
it/them stolen. Below is a letter I am sending the CEO of Dollar Thrifty
Automotive Group.

Dan

Joseph E. Cappy
Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer
Corporate Headquarters
Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc.
5330 E. 31st Street
PO Box 35985
Tulsa, OK 74153-0985
918-660-7700

Dear Sir:

The reason for this letter is to inform you of the problems I
experienced recently with your Dollar Rent A Car office near Miami airport
that have steered me to not rent from Dollar Rent A Car again. The first
problem I had is in the passenger pickup by your shuttle bus at the Miami
cruise port. There was no orderly entrance to the bus! My group was the
first inline. However, since your bus drivers did not in any way enforce an
orderly entrance to the bus, mass of people just rush on the bus when he
swung the door open. My group of nine people with one two-year-old child
was unable to board the several buses that came. We had to wait for more
than two hours when we decided that we cannot wait any longer and must board
the next bus. I walked out to meet the bus driver before he arrived at the
pickup point and told him that he must enforce an orderly entrance to the
bus because we were the first inline, we waited more than two hours, and
needed to get on this bus. Yet when he came, he just swung the door open
and stayed in his chair. Part of my group got on the bus, with much
difficulty, because others were also fighting their way to get on. The
driver finally announced that the bus is full while several in my group,
including me, were still on the ground. I told him that in no way was I
going to leave my child on the bus to wait for another one. The rest of my
group got on the bus and literally had to sit/stand on the luggages for the
twenty minutes ride to the Miami airport office. Yet the ordeal is not
over. During the confusion of getting off the bus and removing luggages,
with little help from the driver from orderly or safety standpoints, one of
my bag "became missing". My group walked around and finally found it with a
woman traveling with a group of people from the Bahamas. The woman claimed
that it is hers and had the nerve to place her name tag on it. I had to
call the police in to help and one of my party yanked the zipper open and
forced her to prove that it is her bag; she finally gave up and we took our
bag back. If the boarding and unboarding of the bus have been orderly, my
group would not have to wait for the unreasonable amount of time, not fear
for our safety in boarding the bus, not have our bag stolen!

My second problem is being forced to wait for the right van by your
staff "xxxxxx" (I only know his first name) who talked to me. After
standing in line for a good hour, xxxxxx waited on me for my full size van.
He asked if an eight-passengers is good enough in which I replied that it is
OK as long as it is a full size van because we have many luggages. To my
surprise when I walked to the van that it is a minivan. I returned and told
xxxxxx that the minivan is not OK and he said that it is an
eight-passengers. I told him that I reserved a full size van and needed
one. At this point he told me that I will have to wait 45 minutes to an
hour for a full size van because he does not have one on the lot without
checking anything. I asked him "what good is a confirmed reservation then?"
He told me to sit down and wait or "you will be standing a long time." He
proceeded to wait on the next person in line. I objected and used my cell
phone and called the Dollar Rent A Car in Miami Beach and asked them to
check if there is a full size van in the Miami airport office available.
The agent said there was (I was not surprised) and I explained to her my
problem. I asked to talk to a manager, at which time, xxxxxx promptly
turned to me and asked for the minivan paper work to change it to a full
size van. It took only a few minutes to change the paperwork. I can only
conclude from this that xxxxxx did to me and your customer perception a
great big disservice! He refused to change the minivan to a full size one
promptly, forced me to wait because I did not accept the minivan, and only
changed the van after I know there is a full size van available.

I hope that after reading this letter you will correct these problems in the
Dollar Rent A Car Miami airport office. Thank you.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Kowboyguard

I used Alamo this time and had wonderful service to and from the ship, plus
very cheap on price!!
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:18 AM
Susette405

I used Alamo this time and had wonderful service to and from the ship, plus
very cheap on price!!

I too do ont like Dollar they were HORRID in Las Vegas
Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:56 AM
steve

i like dollar good rates good service its avis who i dont like they rent
cars with warn out tires and try to charge you 5.00 a gallon on gas when
i returned full

Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Susette405

cars with warn out tires and try to charge you 5.00 a gallon on gas when
i returned full

Dollar in Vegas was the same.. they were rude and very unaccomadating to their
clients. it was my first and last time.. I go back to Avis...
Dollar nickled and dimed you, and Oh if you get a flat tire ITS YOUR PROBLEM,
oh if the car breaks down its on YOU to get it towed. I thought what the HEck
are they talking about! the car was abit banged up and i made them Write that
on the slip for every little ping and ding and dent and RUB, they wanted to
just glaze over it but do not know what kind of ploy they use when returning
it..
It did not leave a good taste in my mouth though...
only thing I liked is here is your row go and pick whatever car you want...

Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:29 PM
JLeary256

There is no excuse for the bus loading problems, but it belongs with the low
class clods who think it if OK to not be orderly. I guess I would have sent
the single renter and gone back and picked up the rest of the group after I got
the van?? No luggage to transport and probably would have been transferred
well before 2 hours? The rental office was overwhelmed, but not responsible
for your luggage theft and certainly offered very poor service, you have every
right for your letter.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:36 PM
Nitemare

I've had no problem with Dollar in FLL. I'll stay away if I have a large
group, though!

Good luck with them!