Q: Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

Old September 26th, 2003, 12:36 AM
CrazyOne - Greg Pacek

Default Q: Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

In article , Dennis P.
Harris wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:05:38 +0200 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"Daniel Rolf" wrote:

Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

rabies vaccinations are only given in a series, and almost always
only *after* you have been bitten by an animal that might have
been rabid. they are very painful, and can make you very sick.

your chances of getting bitten by a rabid animal are so small as
to be almost impossible.

Agreed. Unless you're talking about your pet dog (or cat) getting a
rabies vaccination, this is unheard of as far as I know as a preventive
measure. (I doubt even the veterinarians or other animal handlers do
it, though I don't know that for sure.) I've been many places where
there are wild animals with such potential and managed never to get
bitten, not even close, barely even crosses my mind. Rabies
vaccinations for humans are effective even after exposure, and it seems
little attention is given to make the process more convenient. Last I
knew it was a series of shots and rather painful ones at that, thus it
is left to be done only after one has been bitten by a potentially
rabid animal. Another thing to remember is that your risk would only
be from stray or wild animals, at least in the US/Canada. In every
area I know of all pet cats and dogs are required to be vaccinated
against rabies and will not be carrying the disease. While there will
be some idiots who defy such laws, I suppose, the bottom line is your
chances of coming into contact with a rabid animal *and* also getting
bitten by that animal are extraordinarily small.

Now, if you left out the part where you meant your *dog* needed a
vaccination, well then, you just have to seek out a local veterinary
practice. The cost would be fairly minimal, I think $15, something
like that. (When my cat gets one it's always in conjunction with an
annual checkup, so the cost is more, and I don't know how it breaks
down.) Actually, I would think you could get that done over there
before coming, and it might even be a requirement. (If you're bringing
a dog, please check the US requirements.)

--
CrazyOne | "I say what it occurs to me to say
aka Greg Pacek | when I think I hear people say
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article ,
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

rabies vaccinations are only given in a series, and almost always
only *after* you have been bitten by an animal that might have
been rabid. they are very painful, and can make you very sick.

You can certainly have rabies pre-exposure shots. I did, when I lived in a
rabies prone area, and I had the rest of the series after I was bitten by
a cat.

They didn't make me sick, but I'm certain that's not an impossibility.
And, for the record, they were not any more painful than any other shots
(and less so than my last tetanus booster, but that's because I was
allergic to that shot).

Pre-exposure shots are fairly routine for people who work with mammals
that may be affected.

your chances of getting bitten by a rabid animal are so small as
to be almost impossible.

True, however, your chance of being bitten by an animal that *can* carry
rabies is significantly higher. I was bitten by a neighbor's cat. Because
it was an indoor cat, they hadn't kept up the rabies vaccinations.
However, their dog was indoor/outdoor, so I was advised to have the rest
of the series. The cat was quarantined. As I expected, the cat did not
have rabies, but it would have been imprudent not to have the entire set
of shots.

--
_Deirdre
http://deirdre.net