Rabies

Old June 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM
crazykatja

Default Rabies

Hi there,

I would like to know if I need rabies vaccination for traveling
backpacking and with tent through Southern Africa. This week I was at
the tropical institut and I was recommended this vaccination because
"I go backbacking in Africa". That were the words of the advisor in
the clinic. Does anybody can tell me their own experiences and if it
is really needed? Is there any alarming zone in Southern Africa that
would ask for having it?

I asked as every vaccination - and you need 3 within 4 weeks - cost 46
Euro.

Thanks.

Katja
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Herb

"Iceman" wrote in message
On 18 Jun 2004 16:30:26 -0700, (crazykatja) wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to know if I need rabies vaccination for traveling
backpacking and with tent through Southern Africa. This week I was at
the tropical institut and I was recommended this vaccination because
"I go backbacking in Africa". That were the words of the advisor in
the clinic. Does anybody can tell me their own experiences and if it
is really needed? Is there any alarming zone in Southern Africa that
would ask for having it?

I asked as every vaccination - and you need 3 within 4 weeks - cost 46
Euro.

Here's the deal with the rabies shot. If you're bitten by a stray dog
or wild animal, you must get to a clinic ASAP and get tested. If you
test positive for rabies, you need the cure immediately even if you
were vaccinated. What the vaccination does is buy you time - it takes
longer for the disease to take hold if you are vaccinated. Once
rabies takes hold and symptoms appear, it's 100% fatal and incurable.
So basically, if you know you could always get medical treatment
quickly, then you don't need the shot. But if you're spending time in
remote areas where you might not be able to get to a clinic or
hospital in time if you were bitten, then definitely get the shot.

Also, what are you going to do. If you're intending close, intensified
contact with all kinds of animals (dogs, donkeys, cows, etc. etc.) and
you're in remote areas, yes do get the shots. But if you're just passing
those areas and leave animals alone, well you can think about not taking
them.

In any case, the shots will buy you some time. That's always true.
Herb