Was I unreasonable?

Old March 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
david

Default Was I unreasonable?

"Traveller" wrote in message ...

snip

Of course, the online check-in on ba.com might be a plus for you here... get
the seats picked before you leave for the airport.

I think the online check-in is only available for adult passengers --
unless you pay an extra twenty pounds and go to the trouble of setting
up a family FF account, which then enables all members of the family
to check-in on line.

I don't think you'd have a bad experience with EasyJet but if that's all
that was in the flight prices then no big deal. You did check fares from
airports in the midlands, didn't you?

Personally, I would have paid the extra to fly on Easyjet. Stansted
is quick and efficient, while Heathrow is horrible -- always seems to
take ages to check in, to clear security, to walk to the gates ...
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM
resenär

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

"elise" wrote in message
Had a minor disagreement with the b/f at the weekend as we have just

booked
flights to Barcelona for 5 of us - 2 adults and 3 kids. We live in the
Midlands and he thought we should go with Easyjet from Stanstead as it was
only £504.
My position was we should go from LHR with BA for an extra £90.
In the end I offered to pay the extra on top of my share of the costs
because I REALLY don't want to fly with Easyjet.

My argument was that BA offer seat allocation, meal(small I know), more
legroom, I get more BA miles and there's better shopping at LHR.

Was I just being snobbish or would you do the same?

You live in the Midlands? Then why not BMiBaby from East Midlands? I don't
know when you were planning to travel but they have fares from £75 per
person in May, they have seat allocation, average seat pitch, reasonably
priced food etc.

As for shopping, that is snobbish, just go shopping in Barcelona.

Res

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Mark Hewitt

"david" wrote in message
om...
"Traveller" wrote in message

Personally, I would have paid the extra to fly on Easyjet. Stansted
is quick and efficient, while Heathrow is horrible -- always seems to
take ages to check in, to clear security, to walk to the gates ...

She would have paid less for easyJet not more!

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Roger Chung-Wee

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:44:50 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"elise" wrote in message
Had a minor disagreement with the b/f at the weekend as we have just booked
flights to Barcelona for 5 of us - 2 adults and 3 kids. We live in the
Midlands and he thought we should go with Easyjet from Stanstead as it was
only £504.
My position was we should go from LHR with BA for an extra £90.
In the end I offered to pay the extra on top of my share of the costs
because I REALLY don't want to fly with Easyjet.

My argument was that BA offer seat allocation, meal(small I know), more
legroom, I get more BA miles and there's better shopping at LHR.

Was I just being snobbish or would you do the same?

Personally I would be tempted to choose EasyJet over BA.

www.aa.com often has cheaper prices for BA flights.

BA leg room (LGW-CDG-LGW) seemed as small as (or even smaller than) Easyjet.

BA on-line seat allocation doesn't always work as far as choosing you own is
concerned, and when travelling as a family you cant guarantee to get 5 seats
together especially if you book late or use OLCI late. With EasyJet
pre-boarding your are pretty much guaranteed to find 5 together.

The meal - you should factor in the cost of providing your own or buying
stuff at the airport
How fussy are the kids ?

On the cheap tickets you will get 125 miles each way, thats 1% of the
requirement for their minimum free flight, worth about 30-50p each (for the
return trip) assuming you fly enough to collect enough to use.

As for the airport shopping - this comment makes me think you are a troll
:-)

Why not fly BA from Birmingham?
Old March 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Al Bennett

"maryanne kehoe" wrote in message

She's travelling with 3 kids--of course, seat allocation will be a
primary consideration on what airline she will fly.

For a short 60-90 minute flight??? It's not exactly trans-Atlantic or
long haul where comfort does comes into play. :-)

Apart from which, EasyJet *do* still preboard families, (before all others),
with children under 5 years of age, which qualifies Elise and her
family to get on and seated before the general mob.
All you have to do is advise check-in and gate staff you have a child
under 5 and request preboarding.

It's all relative of course, but given the hassles of Thiefrow, the extra
travelling/check-in times etc, I know I'd rather pocket the extra
cash and save it for the holiday itself, rather than having the privilege
of flying BA.
I've flown EasyJet before and would do so again in a heartbeat.
(Will never step near Ryanair again as Iong as I live !!!)
For such a short flight, I can't think of any compelling reasons to
choose BA, however it's all a matter of situation, circumstance
and preference.

Cheers.

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Traveller

"Al Bennett" wrote in message

Apart from which, EasyJet *do* still preboard families, (before all

others),
with children under 5 years of age, which qualifies Elise and her
family to get on and seated before the general mob.
All you have to do is advise check-in and gate staff you have a child
under 5 and request preboarding.

Yes, they do. BUT let me describe an actual experience:

Recently at LGW, flying with my wife and (at the time) 10 month old son to
GVA. We make our way to the gate as soon as the gate is announced on the
monitors - which is a scant 15 minutes before departure time (and this has
happened before at LGW, especially with EZY). On approaching the gate in
question, there is a huge queue of people either waiting to get in to the
gate area (which is one of the gates on the 101 - 110 pier at LGW South,
apparently designed for aircraft of 80 seats or less) or trying to get
*past* the Easyjet gate to catch another carrier's flight further down the
pier. The corridor is jammed and we literally have to force our way through
the throng to the gate, earning plenty of sighs, grunts, and suchlike as we
try to manoeuvre a buggy.

We eventually get into the gate "lounge" (where 135 or whatever number of
people an EZY 737/A319 holds are trying to fit into a space designed for
half that number), bludgeon our way to the gate, and push our way onboard
among the arrogant tutting suits and others who don't feel we have any right
to be there, and who will do ANYTHING to get on first regardless of the
needs of others.

So, my wife grabs our son, I grab the buggy, and she sprints up the stairs
to the aircraft, as EZY do what they always did - call for parents and kids,
give them about 20 seconds to present themselves at the gate, another 20 to
extract child from buggy and fold same, and then call for passengers 1-30.
It just doesn't work and I am SURE BA and others don't behave in this way.