Correct Titles For Crew Members

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Default Correct Titles For Crew Members

I notice many on this board are calling the person that cleans your
cabin, the maid, steward and stewardess, and the funniest one is
Stewart. The correct title is cabin attendant. Busboy is also retro, and
their new title is assistant waiter.

This comes from the captain during one of his speeches.

I believe he also said that the matre d is now the head waiter.

Old June 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JeffH

"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
The correct title is cabin attendant.

This comes from the captain during one of his speeches.

I believe RCCL refers to them as Stateroom Attendants or Suite Attendants.
Perhaps that's so the can clarify the tipping policy (which vary between the
two).

I wonder if a JS is a Stateroom or a Suite. Perhaps somewhere in between?

Jeff

Old June 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Jun 23, 3:22*pm, (Carol Eskra) wrote:
I notice many on this board are calling the person that cleans your
cabin, the maid, steward and stewardess, and the funniest one is
Stewart. The correct title is cabin attendant. Busboy is also retro, and
their new title is assistant waiter.

This comes from the captain during one of his speeches.

I believe he also said that the matre d is now the head waiter.

...of course, their positions/titles vary depending upon the line.
(Like the counter for passenger business - it may be the Pursers Desk,
Guest Services, Front Desk or something else)

Mark
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jun 23, 6:22 pm, (Carol Eskra) wrote:

I believe he also said that the matre d is now the head waiter.

I'm pretty sure my last couple of cruises had both maitre d's and head
waiters. I would equate the head waiters with what one might call a
"captain" in a high-end restaurant. Maitre d' is in charge of the
entire dining room, while the captain or head waiter is in charge of a
section of that dining room, overseeing a few teams of waiters and
assistant waiters.
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 6/25/2008 12:22 PM LeeNY plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:
On Jun 23, 6:22 pm, (Carol Eskra) wrote:

I believe he also said that the matre d is now the head waiter.

I'm pretty sure my last couple of cruises had both maitre d's and head
waiters. I would equate the head waiters with what one might call a
"captain" in a high-end restaurant. Maitre d' is in charge of the
entire dining room, while the captain or head waiter is in charge of a
section of that dining room, overseeing a few teams of waiters and
assistant waiters.

As far as I can recall, the main person who sees to your cabin needs
(such as making your bed into twin or queen, and/or turn-down service)
is the Cabin Steward. Under him/her is the housekeeping staff. The
person who brings you towels and cleans your room, is a member of the
housekeeping staff. They often say that I can address them by their
first name. But I delight in calling them "Klinahanamakerfrou". (Pardon
my spelling. I'm not very fluent in written German) They laugh when I
call them Frauline Klinahanamakerfrou. I think that the literal
translation is 'Clan Hand Maker Woman'. I learned the word watching the
original "Young Frankenstein starring; Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty
Feldman, Terry Garr, and Chloris Leachman as Frau Blucker (Lightning
Bolt -- Horse Wheeniee!)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Joseph Coulter :

(Carol Eskra) wrote in
:

I notice many on this board are calling the person that cleans your
cabin, the maid, steward and stewardess, and the funniest one is
Stewart. The correct title is cabin attendant. Busboy is also retro,
and their new title is assistant waiter.

This comes from the captain during one of his speeches.

I believe he also said that the matre d is now the head waiter.

gee it wasn't so long ago that the head waiters became asst Maitre d's.
these titles will probably never get uniform.

That's my recollection. In fact, on RCI, the head waiter is really
the boss of the waiter and assistant waiter, and in turn reports to
the matre 'd hotel. The head waiter is an optionally tipped position
(as opposed to the waiter & asst waiter, who are recommended tipped
positions). Never did meet the matre 'd.

Speaking of titles, who else finds Customer Service as a funny way of
describing Flight Attendants, but I swear I have heard it used (United?)

United? Yeah, maybe. Although for United, "customer service" just
don't spring immediately to mind. Actually you name it Airline.
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "JeffH" :

"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
The correct title is cabin attendant.

This comes from the captain during one of his speeches.

I believe RCCL refers to them as Stateroom Attendants or Suite Attendants.
Perhaps that's so the can clarify the tipping policy (which vary between the
two).

I wonder if a JS is a Stateroom or a Suite. Perhaps somewhere in between?

Suite. We checked in in the suite line and our suggested tip amounts
were the suite levels. However, given the superb level of service we
recieved, she got much more.

Jeff