i'm off to ozz...where to get best exchange rate in uk?

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:05 AM
scott ARMSTRONG

Default i'm off to ozz...where to get best exchange rate in uk?

i'm off to australia on sunday. where is the best place in the uk to get
money changed from pounds to dollars?

Old October 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Frank Slootweg

scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
i'm off to australia on sunday. where is the best place in the uk to get
money changed from pounds to dollars?

Why would you want to do that? Why not just use an ATM on arrival? I
think it is unlikely that some institution in the UK gives you a better
exchange rate or/and lower charges.
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM
scott ARMSTRONG

info wanted is for travellers cheques please.

scott

Old October 30th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Jason

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:38:07 +0000, scott ARMSTRONG wrote:

info wanted is for travellers cheques please.

I wouldn't bother. Practically everywhere takes plastic. You can get money
out of an ATM with something like a Visa debit card. The rate will be
better than you get on the travellers cheques and many Aussie banks charge
a fee for cashing the cheques. So you get stung twice.

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Caribbean trip reports
to Aruba, Cuba, Grand Bahama, Barbados, St Lucia and Mexico

Old October 31st, 2003, 08:33 AM
Muz

On 10/31/03 12:05 AM, in article , "scott
ARMSTRONG" wrote:

i'm off to australia on sunday. where is the best place in the uk to get
money changed from pounds to dollars?

At the Airport .... Muz

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:40 PM
Jan

scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
info wanted is for travellers cheques please.

scott

Don't bother with TCs Scott, we've met people travelling with them and its a
lot of hassle for no gain.
There are ATMs everywhere.use a debit card to withdraw cash and a credit
card to make purchases. We've been to Australia 3 times and have found this
to be the most economical way to handle money. If you really want to take
some cash with you from the UK, then the Post Office generally seem to offer
the best rates.

Jan

---

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:06 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
info wanted is for travellers cheques please.

scott

Don't bother with TCs Scott, we've met people travelling with them and its a
lot of hassle for no gain.
There are ATMs everywhere.use a debit card to withdraw cash and a credit
card to make purchases. We've been to Australia 3 times and have found this
to be the most economical way to handle money. If you really want to take
some cash with you from the UK, then the Post Office generally seem to offer
the best rates.

Well, there any many ATMs, but they are not "everywhere", especially
not in outback areas, small(er) towns, etc.. So always *also* have a
credit card (*and* a spare one) *and* sufficient cash to get you through
the next few days to a week. We have been without an ATM from Alice
Springs to Copley (near Gammon Ranges) c.q. Wilpena (Flinders Ranges).
The way our planned route went, that was a week without an ATM, to
arrive at an ATM which was closed (in a bar which did not open till
11:00AM).
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:32 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
[...]

Ok Frank point taken, ATMs are not "everywhere", however many towns will
have at least have a bank, so you can draw money over the counter even if
there's no ATM. All the hostels we stayed in accepted CCs. If you always
carry a couple of hundred $$ just in case, I wouldn't of thought there'd be
too many problems.
Jan

---

Old October 31st, 2003, 07:12 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
[...]

Well, sorry, but unless you have an account or/and have the right type
of card, you (i.e. a foreign tourist) can *not* draw money over the
counter. Been there, (not) done that, (not) got the T-shirt. Our
European debit cards ("Europas" or "Wereldpas" ("Worldpas") can not be
used to draw money over the counter (while they *can* be used to draw
money from an ATM). Also in shops our credit and debit cards can not be
used to get money. Our credit cards can be used to *purchase* (goods and
services), but not to get *money*. It wasn't until out third trip to Oz
before we became a 'victim' of this scenario, but it can happen, hence
my recommendation of ATM *and* credit card *and* spare *and* cash.

Frank "Going there where there are hopefully no ATMs and hopefully our
mobile phone doesn't work!" :-) Slootweg
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:48 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
scott ARMSTRONG wrote:
[...]

I don't know your type of cards. Ours are UK issued cards backed by VISA.

Jan

---