What do you miss when you come home?

Old January 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default What do you miss when you come home?

The recent thread on Gelato got me going. What do you miss when you come
home from visiting a country in Europe, foodwise?

For me Gelato in Italy is waay up there. I need to make it to get it in the
U.S.

In Germany the bread, especially the wholegrain bakery bread is out of this
world. I can't get anything like it here in the U.S. I am particularly fond
of Kurbiskern Broetchen in the morning with quark. Quark is another one. I
can get it here, but instead of .39 Euro for a big container I pay eight or
nine times that much (4 or 5 dollars US).

I would have said Verdecchio, but I've recently found a reasonable source at
Trader Joe's.

Real italian cappuchino. Hob Nobs in the U.K. and Twinings Tea.

Interestingly, nothing in particular from France. Others will quote the
Pain Ordinaire, but it's white and I prefer wholegrain breads, which I like
better in Germany.

And you????

--
Julie
**********
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juliana L Holm:

For me Gelato in Italy is waay up there.

Strangely, by far the best italian ice cream I've ever tasted was made in
Eiscafe Venezia in Dörpen, Germany.

And you????

Smoked rain deer from the North of Sweden.
My all time favorite.

--
Holländisch lernen - http://hollaendisch-lernen.ardane.com
Low Countries By Bike - http://lowcountriesbybike.ardane.com
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote:
Juliana L Holm:

For me Gelato in Italy is waay up there.

Strangely, by far the best italian ice cream I've ever tasted was made in
Eiscafe Venezia in Dörpen, Germany.

I've had excellent gelato in Germany, also.

--
Julie
**********
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juliana L Holm wrote in
:

[...]

From France-Cheese. I used to like to go the supermarket inthe sumer
early in the morning because I could spot the fresh back from France
people poking around the cheese section with a slightly wistful look.

American Cheese just doesn't smell right (and our cheese sectins don't
even smell like cheese) so cheese, French wine is easy but our
selections are poor for the rest and sometimes even made from
pasteurized milk while the real deal is made from raw. OH WELL! it gives
a reason to go back.

What do I miss most while gone? Coffee but not so much Maxwell house as
the way we do it at home rich dark and smooth in France and other
countries as well, I have learned to drink cafe au lait in the morning
becasue the coffee is so uniformly bad in Europe. (Germany is an
exception)

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Joseph Coulter wrote:

What do I miss most while gone? Coffee but not so much Maxwell house as
the way we do it at home rich dark and smooth in France and other
countries as well, I have learned to drink cafe au lait in the morning
becasue the coffee is so uniformly bad in Europe. (Germany is an
exception)

WHAT??? Please say that you jest.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:30:08 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

The recent thread on Gelato got me going. What do you miss when you come
home from visiting a country in Europe, foodwise?

We're among the French bread crowd. For us, it's being able to get up in the
morning, step outside your apartment, and buy fresh croissants and baguettes for
your breakfast. Here in Washington, the closest baguette is in Savage Mill at
Bonaparte, and even that's not quite right.

Also, Elephant makes a line of fruit-flavored Assam teas sold (I think) only in
France. The pear-Assam is spectacular.

The fruit-flavored (orange, lemon, lime, peach) still waters from Volvic.

Real British (or the Swiss-made: they're all different) Kit Kats, not the milk
chocolate crap sold in the US.

Street vendors selling crepes with jam.

Wonderful, cheap sandwiches: a crunchy flute or baguette with ham, cheese,
butter, featuring the flavor of fresh, French or British butter.

Adult attitudes toward consuming wine with lunch, even in the workplace.

Non-food, but a wondeful smell: Cussons Imperial Leather soap (which is
available by mail order from Canada).

....and one non-food biggie that I must mention, which makes it practical to
travel to wonderful food-related destinations (like Camembert, Livarot, and Pont
l'Eveque in a day trip from Caen):

Drivers who exhibit lane discipline, which makes driving long distances so very
much easier. US drivers are, in general, pathetically inattentive,
undisciplined, and unskilled.

-- Larry (...just returned last week. Sigh.)

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juliana L Holm wrote:
The recent thread on Gelato got me going. What do you miss when you come
home from visiting a country in Europe, foodwise?

Seeing I now live in Germany, most European things are available. But
I loved the garlic soup in Austria and the white borscht in Poland, and
the meats and fish cooked over a fire in Greece were excellent. A good
Swabian buttered Laugenbretzel can't be beat, as well as Maultaschen
and Kaesespaetzle, but that's now home.

What I really miss are a few American things: San Francisco sourdough
bread, potato chips from my home town, turtles candy, abalone
sandwiches, good Texas barbeque, and crawfish etouffe.

George

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:30:08 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

Quark is another one.

Isn't that the sound an English duck makes?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

pltrgyst wrote:

Street vendors selling crepes with jam.

Wonderful, cheap sandwiches: a crunchy flute or baguette with ham, cheese,
butter, featuring the flavor of fresh, French or British butter.

At lunchtime I miss the german "Belegte Baguette" or Falafel with their
garlic sauce and red cabbage from GErmany. Or at dinner, sometimes, since
it's a lighter meal.

Drivers who exhibit lane discipline, which makes driving long distances so very
much easier. US drivers are, in general, pathetically inattentive,
undisciplined, and unskilled.

Amen to that!

--
Julie
**********
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:34:55 +0100, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Juliana L Holm:

For me Gelato in Italy is waay up there.

Strangely, by far the best italian ice cream I've ever tasted was made in
Eiscafe Venezia in Dörpen, Germany.

And you????

Smoked rain deer from the North of Sweden.
My all time favorite.

Hollandse Nieuwe: raw herring in a hot dog bun with onions. I would
almost take an overnight train to Amsterdam to get some.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it