Toronto Pearson (YYZ) airport bus improvement

Old August 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Mark Brader

Default Toronto Pearson (YYZ) airport bus improvement

Harvey Pinder writes:
There is an error in your otherwise good posting.
The TTC Airport Rocket service is every 20 minutes, as can be confirmed...

That's what I said.

I've used it several times over the few years it has been in service,
and it has always been at this frequency, or close to it.
... It has always served all Terminals ...

Maybe always when Harvey used it. When first introduced (in competition
with the old Airport Express route to Islington station) it had limited
hours and I think it only ran every 45 minutes then. When the competing
route was withdrawn, the 192 was extended to full-time service, but was
still only every 45 minutes except for Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm,
or something like that, when it was every 22.5. And it did NOT serve
Terminal 1.

However, as we are no longer talking about present-day service, this is
probably off-topic for both newsgroups, and we should stop here.

BTW, the exact fare is $2.25 in Canadian currency.

That's also what I said.

I did transpose the running times of the GO bus to Yorkdale and York Mills,
as mentioned in a separate followup. Sorry about that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:33 AM
d cutcher

Couldn't agree with Harvey more about The Rocket, though I wish the
service would start *earlier* in the morning than it typically has.
I'm usually red-eyeing it from L.A. and having to wait over an hour
for the first bus is MORE than I can quite easily accept. :-G
OTOH, I think the CA$2.25 fare that allows me to ride from the
airport to Kipling to anywhere the Metro goes is a bargain and a half.
(But then, even as a Yank I think all things C'naj'n are pretty
special, anyway.)
Still, having said that, WHEN will the Tube go all the way to
Pearson 1, 2, and 3? a la Heathrow?

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
Mark Brader

D. Cutcher:
Couldn't agree with Harvey more about The Rocket, though I wish the
service would start *earlier* in the morning than it typically has.
I'm usually red-eyeing it from L.A. and having to wait over an hour
for the first bus is MORE than I can quite easily accept...

But you don't. The 300 Bloor-Danforth night bus, or more precisely the
300A, leaves the airport every 30 minutes until 30 minutes before the
192 Airport Rocket starts up. The 300 first follows the 192's route to
Kipling station, more or less, then follows the subway's route into the
city's east end. On Sundays the 300 runs until 8:00 am, the 192 starts
before 8:30, and the subway opens at 9:00; on other days these times are
about 3 hours earlier. So there's no 1-hour gap.

(Night routes have the same fares and transfer policies as day routes,
including transfers to day routes. If your destination is north of
Bloor, the 307 Eglinton West night route runs at the same times as the
300, and may be more useful.)

Still, having said that, WHEN will the Tube go all the way to
Pearson 1, 2, and 3? a la Heathrow?

When someone is willing to pay for it, and not before.

Actually, the last thing we heard along these lines was the federal
government talking about an airport-downtown rail route that would
be separate from the TTC, but there hasn't been anything concrete
yet and I'll believe it when I see it. (The idea is a route mostly
following the same CN tracks that the GO Train commuter service from
Georgetown now uses; note that this stops quite near the airport
at Malton.)
--
Mark Brader | "The default choice ... is in many ways the most
Toronto | important thing. ... People can get started

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
Mark Brader

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
Mark Brader